Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

trading places (stock market/gorilla rape film)

Started by madhair60, December 06, 2023, 10:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
You need money for an "initial margin", the amount required by the exchange to initiate a futures position.

Given in the film the protagonists initially appear to be in a losing position they would also need money for a "margin call", as the "margin" requirements would increase.

phantom_power

Don't they need money to buy all the stock they are going to sell in April?

Gulftastic

Quote from: phantom_power on December 17, 2023, 10:21:29 AMDon't they need money to buy all the stock they are going to sell in April?

They are selling at 142 and buying at around 32, meaning a massive profit on their transactions. All were future contracts, meaning the money wasn't needed up front.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on December 17, 2023, 07:17:25 AMYou need money for an "initial margin", the amount required by the exchange to initiate a futures position.

Given in the film the protagonists initially appear to be in a losing position they would also need money for a "margin call", as the "margin" requirements would increase.

Is the initial margin different to the 142 per...carton of orange juice? And is it per carton or just to allow them onto the trading floor so they'd pay the same whether they bought one or one thousand?

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 17, 2023, 11:04:12 AMIs the initial margin different to the 142 per...carton of orange juice? And is it per carton or just to allow them onto the trading floor so they'd pay the same whether they bought one or one thousand?

It is based on the size of their position, e.g. 7% of the notional value of 142 per 15,000 pounds of frozen orange juice concentrate.

kalowski

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on December 17, 2023, 11:32:03 AMIt is based on the size of their position, e.g. 7% of the notional value of 142 per 15,000 pounds of frozen orange juice concentrate.
This detail will allow me to enjoy the film even more next time I watch it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on December 17, 2023, 11:32:03 AMIt is based on the size of their position, e.g. 7% of the notional value of 142 per 15,000 pounds of frozen orange juice concentrate.

Does this mean they end up getting paid at the end of the day, because their net position puts them in credit so someone else is paying them 7% of the balance of 142 - 29? I can't imagine they are paying 7% each time they sell a thing given that the process seems to involve little more than bellowing and scribbling.

The Bumlord

Aykroyd is trying to get a sequel off the ground apparently because all 80s films must have them now.

Jamie Lee to reveal her Curtises one last time?

touchingcloth

Papa Wheelie

Tragically, the 4K has some motion ghosting issues.

Blumf

Blumf

Fuuuck, and after this, it's To Live and Die in LA (1985)

Fucking awesome night.