Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

trading places (stock market/gorilla rape film)

Started by madhair60, December 06, 2023, 10:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

What's weird to me is how large of a space in my mind is occupied by Denholm Elliott, when I think I've only seen him in two Indiana Jones films, A Room with a View, and this.

SteveDave

I loved it! 4/5! Would've been 5/5 had I understood what the fuck they were doing in the stock exchange at the end of the film but it didn't matter because all the good guys were happy and Eddie Murphy was wearing a jumper on a beach when it faded to black.

YEAH!

Everyone goes on about Murphy's fourth wall break with the bacon bit but there's another one that's (for me) funnier when he gets taken away in the police car after getting arrested in Dan Aykroyd's club.

Also Jamie Lee Curtis is beautiful in every way in this.

The Bumlord

But you don't know that because you're a big Barry White lookin' motherfucker

monkfromhavana

"Listen Penelope, I swear to you, on my honour, with almighty God as my witness, I am not an angel dust dealer"

phantom_power

I watched this again last night because of this thread. It is a really good film but it does have some really shit bits as well. The way the whole deal comes about is incredibly clunky, with one of them bringing up nature/nurture out of nowhere. And then Billy-Ray finds out about it by them conveniently explaining the whole thing to each other in the toilets.

Then there is the whole blackface thing which is totally unnecessary partly because he could have used any disguise and partly because he didn't even need to go into the carriage and it was stupid to do so as Beeks knows what he looks like and no amount of shoe polish can disguise that. Even Eddie Murphy's Cameroonian character is racist. I did laugh though after all the chanting he suddenly says "beef jerky time!"

I think the plan seems more complicated than it is because they sell before they buy and that doesn't initially make sense, until you realise they have just made an agreement to sell later in the year and then buy now at a much cheaper price. It is the wrong way round logically if you miss that detail, which it is quite easy to do as Ayckroyd screams it almost incoherently

Never realised that it was Al Franken as one of the train porters as well

ollyboro

Watched it for the first time in years last night. Mainly enjoyable , but the whole of the train section is shite. They could have at least made the gorilla look a bit realistic.

Bad Ambassador

The split second between Billy Ray hiding the joint in his mouth and realising what a bad idea that was.

lipsink

What I always found weird is that Denholm Elliott's butler pretends he doesn't know who Dan Ankroyd's character is when he's been made homeless and comes to the door. And then Ankroyd just forgets about this later on? Like there's no confrontation scene between the two of them with Elliott saying "Listen, I'm really sorry sir. I went along with their plan because I didn't want to be out of a job. But I'm with you now. Let me help you."

Why doesn't he go after the butler too for revenge?

phantom_power

It is odd because I love it but it falls apart at the slightest thought. Ophelia is too nice and has no reason to do what she does for Louis. Coleman seems to be completely forgiven without any thought even though he was part of the Duke's plan and didn't say anything, even if he did give the odd conflicted glance. Billy-Ray suddenly giving a shit about Persian rugs makes no sense. Louis's turn from seeing the newspaper report about Billy-Ray and dressing as santa, nicking loads of food and getting shitfaced is far too quick. It is like loads of the film was cut out to make it under two hours and loads of connecting scenes were removed

Also, doesn't their plan for fucking over the Dukes also fuck over a load of other people as well who buy because they are?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: phantom_power on December 08, 2023, 09:56:30 AMAlso, doesn't their plan for fucking over the Dukes also fuck over a load of other people as well who buy because they are?

They're only buying like that because they think the Duke's have inside information that will make them and their clients. So, in the slightly rejigged words of Mortimer Duke, "Fuck them!"

Petey Pate

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 07, 2023, 11:00:55 PMWhat's weird to me is how large of a space in my mind is occupied by Denholm Elliott, when I think I've only seen him in two Indiana Jones films, A Room with a View, and this.

He's great in the Play Today episode Brimstone and Treacle, made in 1976 but not shown until 1987. There's also a film version where he plays the same role which I've not seen.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 08, 2023, 12:04:04 PMHe's great in the Play Today episode Brimstone and Treacle, made in 1976 but not shown until 1987. There's also a film version where he plays the same role which I've not seen.

Also in one of the very best 'Hammer House Of Horror' episodes; 'Rude Awakening'.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 08, 2023, 12:04:04 PMHe's great in the Play Today episode Brimstone and Treacle, made in 1976 but not shown until 1987. There's also a film version where he plays the same role which I've not seen.

Also starring one Mr Sting as the stranger. 

Mr Banlon

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 07, 2023, 11:00:55 PMWhat's weird to me is how large of a space in my mind is occupied by Denholm Elliott, when I think I've only seen him in two Indiana Jones films, A Room with a View, and this.

He's great in The Signalman: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c73c3

monkfromhavana

Some bloke on the next table in the pub has just said to his beau "I've downloaded a film called Trading Places for tonight" along with a claim that the Dukes are based on Statler and Waldorf from The Muppets.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Mr Banlon on December 08, 2023, 02:45:28 PMHe's great in The Signalman: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c73c3

Watched this for the first time the other night, and it scared the crap out of me, and then gave me genuine chills. Denholm is sublime.

I was sure I'd seen him in loads of other stuff but no, just Trading Places.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 06, 2023, 04:38:18 PMA KARATE MAN BLEEDS ON THE INSIDE

It ain't cool to be no jive turkey, 'specially so close to Thanksgiving

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: lipsink on December 08, 2023, 09:53:24 AMWhy doesn't he go after the butler too for revenge?

Revenge enough that he's stuck as a butler, I guess.

Part originally offered to Ronnie Barker of course, who couldn't be arsed to travel.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on December 10, 2023, 02:20:36 PMPart originally offered to Ronnie Barker of course, who couldn't be arsed to travel.

The other Ronnie of course appeared with JLC in Fierce Creatures.

Proactive

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on December 10, 2023, 02:20:36 PMRevenge enough that he's stuck as a butler, I guess.

Part originally offered to Ronnie Barker of course, who couldn't be arsed to travel.

And of course David Jason was originally meant to play Eddie Murphy's part so that would have been mad if they'd both been in it.

checkoutgirl

Watching this now. The two aul' lads that are obscenely rich appear to live together in a huge mansion. What's going on there? Are they blowing each other?

Blumf

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 10, 2023, 09:16:39 PMWatching this now. The two aul' lads that are obscenely rich appear to live together in a huge mansion. What's going on there? Are they blowing each other?

phantom_power

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 10, 2023, 09:16:39 PMWatching this now. The two aul' lads that are obscenely rich appear to live together in a huge mansion. What's going on there? Are they blowing each other?

The Duke BROTHERS you mean?

checkoutgirl

It's 80% of a classic 80s comedy and then the last bit which is a bit Dick Emery. Still good though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phantom_power on December 11, 2023, 09:09:13 AMThe Duke BROTHERS you mean?

Why would they live in a mansion together? Their wives must be brown bread so they're doing a Still Game.

lipsink

I do love how much they show of the incredibly annoying singing quartet at the tennis club. Just a bunch of privileged spoilt arseholes. Every single character in that bit needs thrown in a meat grinder.

"And she stepped on the ball!"

dontpaintyourteeth

phantom_power

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 11, 2023, 10:14:44 AMWhy would they live in a mansion together? Their wives must be brown bread so they're doing a Still Game.

I don't know. I was just saying they (probably) aren't blowing each other. They probably live together because they are tight-arses

dissolute ocelot

It's basically the 80s Big Short. Definitely better than Wall Street (or Coming To America but then I'd rather laugh at WASPs than black culture). You could make a claim that it's actually an allegory of the deregulation of the stock exchange by Thatcher and Reagan in the 80s. But it's also a heartwarming Xmas movie. And as (almost) mentioned, it's less weird to be attracted to Jamie Lee Curtis in this than in Freaky Friday.

I don't know about blowing each other, but I imagine they cuddle.