Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:15:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Aki Kaurismäki

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 17, 2023, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Am going to try and see his new one, Fallen Leaves, on Thursday. I like him.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw this the other week when it was the Mubi Go featured film. It's pretty good, very dry and deadpan. Although I enoyed it I don't think it'll be for everyone, I think some people might find it gratingly slow.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 17, 2023, 10:41:32 PMI saw this the other week when it was the Mubi Go featured film. It's pretty good, very dry and deadpan.

Ah, excellent. Bit annoying that my local cinema are starting their evening showings for thus 90 minutes earlier at 18:30. Not sure why, it's not a long film, but it'll be a bit of a dash from work.

scarecrow

Whenever I watch second rate Wes Anderson or derivative try hard shite like Ben Sharrock's Limbo, I think that their audiences would be just as well watching Kaurismaki. I found Fallen Leaves to be a pretty average effort from him, but it seems to be resonating with everyone and so I guess it's just his time.

rjd2

I have a VPN and Mubi subscription so I can access various catalogues.

I have only seen Le Havre before which I liked, I sat down to watch I hired a contract killer the other day but turned it off after 5 minutes as I had to pop out, what would you recommend here?

https://whatsonmubi.com/?q=Aki%20Kaurism%C3%A4ki&sort=rating-desc

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: rjd2 on December 18, 2023, 05:21:44 PMI have a VPN and Mubi subscription so I can access various catalogues.

I have only seen Le Havre before which I liked, I sat down to watch I hired a contract killer the other day but turned it off after 5 minutes as I had to pop out, what would you recommend here?

https://whatsonmubi.com/?q=Aki%20Kaurism%C3%A4ki&sort=rating-desc

Drifting Clouds and Leningrad Cowboys

sevendaughters

I saw the Proletariat Trilogy over three weeks recently, in the cinema, was good if you like deadpan bleakness. thought they were all about as good as one another, variations on a theme. good lengths too, 68-75 mins.

Blinder Data

i've seen le havre and i enjoyed it. fallen leaves was also good. is he one of those directors where you know what you're getting every time - pleasantly shot deadpan tales of saddish characters with hearts of gold? it's a schtick much less annoying than others

one thing about fallen leaves that puzzled me was the stilted dialogue. i imagine it's pretty awkward in the original Finnish but i wonder whether it's been poorly translated. some of the phrasing was frankly bizarre

Mister Six

A mate of mine is mad into Aki Kaurismäki and persuaded me to watch About Endlessness a couple of months ago. It's an odd thing - I found it very watchable, but at the same time mostly not terribly funny or moving. I think I liked the craftsmanship more than anything else, although there were a few bits and pieces that I did like (the woman alone at the train station being a highlight).

I'll check out Fallen Leaves in the New Year, if it's still in cinemas. It's bloody annoying that all the quality stuff basically comes out in November and December to hit the awards season, when I'm also trying to do Christmas shopping and have Xmas bevvies with friends. As it is, I have to clock Poor Things, Zone of Interest and American Fiction this week, because next week's a write-off and fuck knows if they'll be around in the New Year, or whether they'll be booted out to make for the latest round of trash horror flicks.

Calistan

Love Kaurismaki. I think Leningrad Cowboys was the first one I saw and I immediately fell in love. The Man Without a Past is probably my favourite but Drifting Clouds is another gem. This has been a shiter of a month so I might try to watch one of his films over the weekend as a sure-fire way to pick me up.

druss

The Fallen Leaves tell a story.

scarecrow

Quote from: Mister Six on December 19, 2023, 05:58:47 PMA mate of mine is mad into Aki Kaurismäki and persuaded me to watch About Endlessness a couple of months ago.
About Endlessness is a Swedish film from Roy Andersson, whose earlier work is good.

Mister Six

Fuck, you're right. He was recommending them both at the same time and I forgot to watch the Kaurismäki flick. Bugger.

phantom_power

Quote from: scarecrow on December 18, 2023, 11:47:09 AMWhenever I watch second rate Wes Anderson

I would say Hal Hartley was more the American Kaurismaki than Anderson. Stilted dialogue, aimless plots, low-rent drifters and malcontents

Quote from: Mister Six on December 20, 2023, 11:50:21 PMFuck, you're right. He was recommending them both at the same time and I forgot to watch the Kaurismäki flick. Bugger.

Coincidentally I had my first experience with both directors recently. I watched Andersson's Songs From the Second Floor. I can't say I fully understood the subtext at the time but I found it pretty hypnotic and fun reading about it afterwards. I would say Kaurismaki is an easier watch, from the two films I have seen of his at least

sevendaughters

Coens have definitely seen a fair bit of Kaurismaki.