Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CONFESS! WHAT HAVE YOU NEVR SEEN?

Started by Dr Rock, December 24, 2023, 10:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: kalowski on December 25, 2023, 10:40:04 AMI've also not seen Top Gun. And I don't want to.
Top Gun is worth watching for the parody-level use of the tie-in pop song which is just occasionally slapped unceremoniously on top of scenes.

Also, everyone watch Casablanca. Turns out it's very good.

Blumf

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on December 26, 2023, 08:16:39 PMAlso, everyone watch Casablanca. Turns out it's very good.

Then dig out Roger Ebert's commentary track for it. Really helps appreciate all the little tricks and details in the production.

Mr Vegetables

I don't even know what happens in Top Gun, really. I guess Tom Cruise has a top gun

Apart from that, it's so many movies I don't know where to begin, really. I've hardly seen any of them with violence or horror because I am such a wuss— but I have seen The Godfather, and that was good.

Also, I only saw Temple of Doom this year while knowing nothing much about it, and I was not expecting it to be that racist

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Blumf on December 26, 2023, 09:49:46 PMThen dig out Roger Ebert's commentary track for it. Really helps appreciate all the little tricks and details in the production.
Cheers!

Blumf

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on December 26, 2023, 10:06:04 PMdon't even know what happens in Top Gun

Do we ever find out who was the Bottom Gun?

DrGreggles

George White

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on December 26, 2023, 10:06:04 PMI don't even know what happens in Top Gun, really. I guess Tom Cruise has a top gun

Apart from that, it's so many movies I don't know where to begin, really. I've hardly seen any of them with violence or horror because I am such a wuss— but I have seen The Godfather, and that was good.

Also, I only saw Temple of Doom this year while knowing nothing much about it, and I was not expecting it to be that racist
Recently learnt the 'Chinese' gong man at the start was a stuntman from Waterford named Bill Reed who was mates with my grandad and (like quite a few British stuntmen) used to stay at our farm when making films in Ireland.
 All that time I watched that film as a kid, never knowing that lad had probably stood in the spot I was watching that film.

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on December 26, 2023, 10:06:04 PMI don't even know what happens in Top Gun, really. I guess Tom Cruise has a top gun

There's something about military aircraft; also, some woman singing that something takes her breath away - though she'd hardly be singing with all that power, one would have thought.

dontpaintyourteeth

It's someone expressing the desire to have their breath taken anyway you CLOD

Vodkafone

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on December 26, 2023, 08:16:39 PMAlso, everyone watch Casablanca. Turns out it's very good.

Yeah, it's a classic for a reason. If someone who hasn't seen any Bogart films were to pick just one to watch, then Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep are the top three.

All get on your feet and salute when the French National Anthem plays.

kalowski

Quote from: Vodkafone on December 27, 2023, 09:45:08 AMYeah, it's a classic for a reason. If someone who hasn't seen any Bogart films were to pick just one to watch, then Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep are the top three.
Or High Sierra.
Or The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

I must have a thing about films with "Sierra" in the title.

Famous Mortimer

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre is really, really good.

I've never seen Raging Bull or any of the Harry Potters.

non capisco

Quote from: Vodkafone on December 27, 2023, 09:45:08 AMYeah, it's a classic for a reason. If someone who hasn't seen any Bogart films were to pick just one to watch, then Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep are the top three.

Agreed, followed by my favourite Bogey film In A Lonely Place to show you he actually did have range.

Sonny_Jim

I turned off Raging Bull after about an hour, couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Blumf

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 28, 2023, 02:34:04 AMI turned off Raging Bull after about an hour, couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Same thought here. He's a boxer, and a violent wife beating arsehole.

Well shot and acted, but ultimately, so what?

Sonny_Jim

I didn't even get to the 'slow-mo punch to the face' bits that got parodied ad infinitum, maybe I should give it another try.

George White

Quote from: non capisco on December 27, 2023, 11:23:15 PMAgreed, followed by my favourite Bogey film In A Lonely Place to show you he actually did have range.

Mine is the Two Mrs. Carrolls, a weird British-set mystery.

SteveDave

Raging Bull
Top Gun (though I have seen the second one)
Pretty Woman

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blumf on December 28, 2023, 03:02:25 AMSame thought here. He's a boxer, and a violent wife beating arsehole.

Well shot and acted, but ultimately, so what?

I get why people don't like it but I think a character study of someone awful can still be great (see also: Downfall)

I probably had high expectations from them being so revered but Casablanca and Maltese Falcon didn't really do it for me. I'll give the former a rewatch at some point but I just couldn't really find anything about the latter to justify it's classic status. Although if I'd watched it without any buildup maybe I'd have thought it was a nice little film.

Which film was "here's looking at you, kid" a line in, apart from Gary Glitter's biopic?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on December 25, 2023, 03:29:20 PMAny Jim Carrey movie. No regrets, either, except maybe a little bit when The Truman Show was the in-flight movie and I'd heard nothing about it in advance, so was in pretty much the perfect position to be surprised by what I now know to be the twist. But Carrey's name came up in the opening credits, and consequently, amd immediately, I switched it off.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Jim Carrey but if you've never ever seen one of his movies how have you come to this zero tolerance position? Is he a noisy neighbour or something?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 26, 2023, 09:40:46 AMI watched it and was like 'erm, is that it?' but on reflection it's probably because I'm watching it with modern 'eyes'

The worst kind of eyes of all.

I've never seen countless must-see films, but mainly releases from the last twenty five years.

But here you go, Gone With The Wind (1939). Mainly because the ending has been spoiled. Frankly, the original spoiler of all spoilers.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 28, 2023, 09:52:33 AMI'm fairly ambivalent about Jim Carrey but if you've never ever seen one of his movies how have you come to this zero tolerance position? Is he a noisy neighbour or something?
Well, even before the Internet, there were trailers at the cinema, and Barry Norman & co on the TV. Made it clear he* was zany. No need.

* Jimbo, not Bazza.

Blumf

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 28, 2023, 09:21:17 AMI get why people don't like [Raging Bull] but I think a character study of someone awful can still be great (see also: Downfall)

For me, it was a case that I left the film having no question answered (because I had none), or new questions raised.

Downfall, on the other hand, left me wondering about how much they truly believed their cause, how the ones that killed themselves did so still thinking they were right. I left that with new perspectives.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on December 28, 2023, 10:07:44 AMWell, even before the Internet, there were trailers at the cinema, and Barry Norman & co on the TV. Made it clear he* was zany. No need.

* Jimbo, not Bazza.

Fair enough. I went to see Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) at the time and decided that apart from the diminishing returns of Woody Allen and Billy Crystal's outings, mainstream comedy cinema probably wasn't for me anymore. Mind you, I thought The Mask also from 1994 was great fun, (and I  enjoyed Man On The Moon (1999) ) so I'm always prepared to give Jimbo a chance.

I feel the same with Adam Sandler. Not my can of Coors at all, but Punch-Drunk Love (2002) is one of my favourite films.

Red82

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 26, 2023, 04:10:21 PMI've seen a couple of Kurosawa but not 7 Samurai, Yojimbo, or Rashomon. Used to have a boss who was bizarrely obsessed with Seven Samurai which put me off. He loved to tell Japanese people how good it is.

I've also not seen 12 Angry Men, La Dolce Vita, Shane, High Noon, Lion King, Bridge on the River Kwai, High Noon, The Great Dictator, Holes, Lock Stock/Barrels, 12 Years A Slave, Lawrence of Arabia, Saturday Night Fever, any Rambo film, or any Friday 13th, and not seen a Nightmare on Elm St since the 80s. Some bigger losses than others.

I saw Twelve Angry Men for the first and second time earlier this year. It's well worth a watch.

spaghetamine

absolutely zero interest in Threads or anything like that even though my Dad is an extra in the former

Quote from: spaghetamine on December 28, 2023, 12:44:11 PMabsolutely zero interest in Threads or anything like that even though my Dad is an extra in the former

I don't blame you with regard to Threads.  I saw that and it is rather depressing.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: spaghetamine on December 28, 2023, 12:44:11 PMabsolutely zero interest in Threads or anything like that even though my Dad is an extra in the former

Your father possibly worked with Anne Sellors AKA 'Woman who urinated on herself'? You should be dining out on this.