Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:26:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day the Clown Cried (clown concentration camp film) to be screened?

Started by Terry Torpid, January 06, 2024, 02:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

13 schoolyards

Turns out it's basically just The Zone of Interest only instead of a death camp the Nazis live next to a shitty circus and are constantly hearing Jerry Lewis shouting "Laaaaaa-dieeeeees oh LAAAAA-DIEEEEEES" over their back fence

buzby

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 12, 2024, 11:15:07 AMAnd German Concentration Camps Factual Survey which Hitchcock oversaw and has similar content, but wasn't seen until the 2010s.
It was directed by Sidney Bernstein, in his wartime role at the Ministry Of Information. He brought Hitchcock in as a consultant and to help assemble it (he worked on assembling the British and US army film unit footage in the fourth and fifth reels) with the idea for it to be shown to the German populace, but the Foreign Office scrapped it as they thought it would make post-war cooperation more difficult. The BBC's Memory Of The Camps from 1985 was in large part the unfinished assembly cut (the sixth reel, containing Soviet footage from Auschwitz, was lost), which was rediscovered in the IWM archives in 1984. The same year, Bernstein's own Granada put out A Painful Reminder: Evidence for All Mankind, a documentary about the scrapped film, which used the same footage.

The full film was eventually released in 2010 with the sixth reel reconstructed using footage that was now available from the Soviet archives.

Predating the rediscovery of the film by almost a decade, however, was Thames' documentary series The World At War episode 20, 'Genocide: 1941-45', which used stills and short sections of the same archive footage of the camps alongside interviews from survivors and SS officers.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: buzby on January 30, 2024, 11:36:57 AMPredating the rediscovery of the film by almost a decade, however, was Thames' documentary series The World At War episode 20, 'Genocide: 1941-45', which used stills and short sections of the same archive footage of the camps alongside interviews from survivors and SS officers.

Heartwrenching instalment of that fantastic series.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on January 29, 2024, 09:37:23 PMi actually went looking

Sorry, its actually on YouTube - they've uploaded it with the film title backwards

I'm about an hour in so far - its honestly pretty good so far!

madhair60

you're a fucking twat and I'm going to actually look for this now

edit: prick

PlanktonSideburns

studpuppet

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on January 30, 2024, 10:33:13 AMTurns out it's basically just The Zone of Interest only instead of a death camp the Nazis live next to a shitty circus and are constantly hearing Jerry Lewis shouting "Laaaaaa-dieeeeees oh LAAAAA-DIEEEEEES" over their back fence

Having just gone to the cinema to see it, I think that's the only thing that might make The Zone Of Interest even more harrowing than the actual background sound.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 30, 2024, 12:22:58 PMHeartwrenching instalment of that fantastic series.

I think this and also Bronowski wading into the water are the two bits of TV that would have been my first experiences of the Holocaust and the most life-changing in terms of how this teenage British lad viewed WW2 etc.

Ascent Of Man would have been filmed in '72 at a guess? I visited Auschwitz in 1988 and it looked exactly the same as this - it's a lot more museum-like now judging by the footage at the end of The Zone Of Interest.

madhair60

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2024, 02:08:00 PMedit: actually maybe legally dubious

Please don't send me deaththreats mads

Sorry its not on dailymotion, maybe just give vimeo a quick check, I'm SURE i watched most of this somewhere last night

madhair60

sorry planktonsideburns, it was just a joke death threat. I actually respect you a great deal and would never kill you

lauraxsynthesis

When I was around 10 in the mid-80s there was a documentary about the holocaust on afternoon telly. Probably on a weekend as well and I distinctly remember watching it with my 4 year old brother. People pulling skeletal bodies to mass graves for several minutes. That's how I first found out about it. When I was 11 we got shown the 1980 Anne Frank movie at school and at the end my teachers, one of whom was Jewish, were crying. I didn't really understand all this at an emotional level until I was a teenager and the horror of the Nazis was put across more effectively by the punk rock I was listening to.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2024, 02:20:41 PMsorry planktonsideburns, it was just a joke death threat. I actually respect you a great deal and would never kill you

That means a lot to me, thanks

Just found an .mkv file of the film, I've watched it all now, its fucking CRAP in the cold light of day, but ill email it over to you anyway incase you want a look

Is your email still

Madhair60@gmail.com ?

studpuppet

dontpaintyourteeth

buzby

Quote from: studpuppet on January 30, 2024, 01:56:11 PMAscent Of Man would have been filmed in '72 at a guess?
The Auschwitz sequence was filmed in April 1972. The crew were there for one day (it rained constantly) - they spent the morning walking around with Bronowski taking it all in, and in the afternoon he did his piece to camera in one take, unscripted.

The series was scheduled to be shown in April 1973 with Bronowski booked to do a publicity tour for it, but he had a heart attack at his home in California and was told to rest by his doctors. The broadcast was put back to the beginning of May (with no publicity), In November, Bronowski was well enough to travel to the UK for a much-reduced version of the publicity tour (by then to promote the upcoming release of the accompanying book).

During the interview with Parkinson, he suffered further chest pains and had to rest in the dressing room for half an hour. He suffered a second, fatal, heart attack the following August while visiting friends in Long Island.

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 30, 2024, 02:24:36 PMWhen I was around 10 in the mid-80s there was a documentary about the holocaust on afternoon telly. Probably on a weekend as well and I distinctly remember watching it with my 4 year old brother. People pulling skeletal bodies to mass graves for several minutes. That's how I first found out about it.
That was Bernstein's Granada documentary from 1985 (A Painful Reminder: Evidence for All Mankind) - it was shown on a sunday afternoon (08/09/85), with no advert breaks (I watched it too).