Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:10:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

28 Years Later

Started by SteveDave, January 11, 2024, 08:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Written by Alex Garland and directed by Danny Boyle

https://deadline.com/2024/01/28-days-later-sequel-28-years-later-being-shopped-as-trilogy-wme-1235714837/

Why does everything need to be a trilogy now? Just do one really good film.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah I went from 'oh cool' to 'fuck that' in record time there

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: SteveDave on January 11, 2024, 08:53:22 AMWritten by Alex Garland and directed by Danny Boyle

https://deadline.com/2024/01/28-days-later-sequel-28-years-later-being-shopped-as-trilogy-wme-1235714837/

Why does everything need to be a trilogy now? Just do one really good film.
"One more really good film" - I do think the first two are really good: the second one has lasted with me for just how bleak its message is. Anyway, just one more really good film and there's your trilogy, right there.

SteveDave

They're talking about doing a new trilogy though.

Quote from: SteveDave on January 11, 2024, 09:37:17 AMThey're talking about doing a new trilogy though.
Yes, sorry, I get that. I was sharing your befuddlement that an entire new trilogy was being mooted when there are already two good instalments in the, oh god, I'm going to have to call it a franchise now, aren't I?

BlodwynPig

Gulftastic

Do I need to give the second film another viewing? I remember thinking it was shit when I watched it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

watched 28 days for the first time since i was a wee bab recently and thought it was funny to see david schneider get absolutely monkied

Jerzy Bondov

They're infected with RAGE

dead-ced-dead

A friend of mine thinks that the end section of the first film, where Cillian Murphy goes absolutely beast mode and rips through all the soldiers, is the hottest, most sexy, phwoar thing she's ever seen.

popcorn

Haven't seen the original in donkey's years but I recall thinking it was so similar to Day of the Triffids it was near enough plagiarism.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: popcorn on January 11, 2024, 10:24:36 AMHaven't seen the original in donkey's years but I recall thinking it was so similar to Day of the Triffids it was near enough plagiarism.

It's also been accused of knocking off Day of the Dead, at least once Christopher Eccleston is introduced.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 11, 2024, 10:04:51 AMDo I need to give the second film another viewing? I remember thinking it was shit when I watched it.
More than anything, the sheer grimness of the overall message has stuck with me: your bond with your loved ones, your attempts to do the right thing; these are the things that will not only fuck you and your loved ones up, they'll fuck the rest of the world up as well. I was genuinely upset for quite a while afterwards.

Now, whether or not that's a recommendation, I'm not sure. It certainly is impactful film making.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on January 11, 2024, 10:38:44 AMMore than anything, the sheer grimness of the overall message has stuck with me: your bond with your loved ones, your attempts to do the right thing; these are the things that will not only fuck you and your loved ones up, they'll fuck the rest of the world up as well. I was genuinely upset for quite a while afterwards.

Now, whether or not that's a recommendation, I'm not sure. It certainly is impactful film making.

You're not wrong about the message. Two moments that stick out to me:

Spoiler alert
Robert Carlyle being turned because he had to see his infected wife, and Jeremy Renner being roasted alive as a result of saving children.
[close]

SteveDave

I don't remember Jeremy Renner being in it. If he dies horribly I will re-watch. Fuck the bow and arrow man.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: SteveDave on January 11, 2024, 10:55:14 AMI don't remember Jeremy Renner being in it. If he dies horribly I will re-watch. Fuck the bow and arrow man.

Spoilers, obvs, but here's the scene:

Spoiler alert

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I feel all Cinema Sins focusing on it, but my abiding memory of 28 Weeks Later is how stupidly contrived the plot is.

El Unicornio, mang

It's already a trilogy, this being the first one

They should really make the concept into a full-blown TV series, we definitely need more zombie/infected shows.

Mister Six

No we bloody don't! No more zombs for at least 20 years, please.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Come, friendly zombs and fall on Slough

Why no "28 months later"? They've gone from weeks to years.

popcorn

And they skipped 28 Fortnights Later as well.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: popcorn on January 11, 2024, 10:24:36 AMHaven't seen the original in donkey's years but I recall thinking it was so similar to Day of the Triffids it was near enough plagiarism.

I think Garland himself openly admitted it was basically an adaptation of Day of the Triffids in all but name but with zombies in place of predatory daffodils and no global vision impairment event (not really required as a dramatic device when the threat is highly mobile). A good film nonetheless, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the extremely bleak follow-up (the eye-thumbing incident is still quite vivid in my mind's eye). Don't think this really needs to be an extra three films though.

SteveDave

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on January 11, 2024, 10:58:31 AMSpoilers, obvs, but here's the scene:

Spoiler alert

I saw this in the cinema and have genuinely no memory of him being in it. I remember Full Monty somehow being granted full access to everywhere even though he was just a cleaner and fucking everything up. I also remember Lost driving a helicopter and killing loads of zombies with the rotors.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: curiousoranges on January 11, 2024, 01:39:18 PMno "28 months later"?
Quote from: popcorn on January 11, 2024, 01:41:46 PMthey skipped 28 Fortnights Later

Incredibly disappointed in the two of you.

Shameful.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mister Six on January 11, 2024, 01:28:47 PMNo we bloody don't! No more zombs for at least 20 years, please.

I was being sarcastic!

Although I did like the recent Walking Dead spin-off series set in Paris with Daryl and The Last of Us

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on January 11, 2024, 01:47:49 PMIncredibly disappointed in the two of you.

Shameful.

I assume they're expecting future directors to add further entries into the middle of the story like what's happening with Star Wars.

dontpaintyourteeth

Blumf

28 Years Earlier, which is just a reissue of Penda's Fen.