Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

28 Years Later

Started by SteveDave, January 11, 2024, 08:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

28 Years Old

Where he gets off the bus after feeding from his mum's tit

BlodwynPig

Travis - the original rage ape

Butchers Blind

Where's the prequel, 28 Seconds Earlier?

Zero Gravitas

Poobum

Rewatching 28 Weeks Later and it's a real waste of an interesting twist, an asymptomatic carrier causing havoc. Plot is unnecessarily driven by stupidity at multiple points. Also actively wanted the kids to get eviscerated as their only character trait was moronically causing the death of everyone.

There's multiverse potential with other IPs.

28 Years a Slave

13 schoolyards

Soundtrack by the "classic" Aussie band:

28 Olympiads Earlier

Tommy Shelby rules Birmingham. His doppleganger travels back in time requesting the Peaky Blinders help to stop the pandemic in full-swing in 2024.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 11, 2024, 11:12:17 AMIt's already a trilogy, this being the first one

They should really make the concept into a full-blown TV series, we definitely need more zombie/infected shows.

I once mistakingly enquired (missing the Later bit out obviously) if they had this at a DVD rental shop, only to be met with mirth by the dickhead behind the counter. It was a great place to go if you wanted to rent a Tarkovsky film for the evening, but the staff really were up themselves and god forbid if you asked for a 'mainstream' film in there.

Which reminds me of when my mate mistakingly asked for the new ELO album on Def-Jux, at specilist record shop in Central London.

druss

Quote from: Poobum on January 11, 2024, 06:32:06 PMRewatching 28 Weeks Later and it's a real waste of an interesting twist, an asymptomatic carrier causing havoc. Plot is unnecessarily driven by stupidity at multiple points. Also actively wanted the kids to get eviscerated as their only character trait was moronically causing the death of everyone.
The opening sequence is as good as anything from the first film but the quality drastically drops not soon after.

dissolute ocelot

The original was in 2002 so presumably this isn't coming out till 2030? Although 28 weeks later was about 250 weeks after the original so maybe that doesn't apply.

I can't remember the difference between all the post-apocalyptic zombie films. If there's not a zombie fighting a shark, I'm asleep.

sovietrussia

Quote from: SteveDave on January 11, 2024, 10:55:14 AMI don't remember Jeremy Renner being in it. If he dies horribly I will re-watch. Fuck the bow and arrow man.

Spoiler alert
He gets run over by a seven ton snow plough
[close]

I liked the one about the virus gripping the UK Garage scene, 21 Seconds Later.

GoblinAhFuckScary

idunnosomename

28 Centuries Later

28 Millennia Later

Ferris

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 11, 2024, 10:09:55 AMwatched 28 days for the first time since i was a wee bab recently and thought it was funny to see david schneider get absolutely monkied

Schneider getting merked is the only thing I remember from the first film.

Magnum Valentino

Watched these two over the last two nights. First one is an awful looking film, horrible photography captured on awful cameras. The switch to 'proper' film for the ending really eases the visual burden of watching it, but that's not worth 100 minutes of muddy horribly coloured fuzz, even if that was the intention.  Still great though. And it has the Screenwipe theme!

Second one is miles better. Really intense. Was surprised to realize that it was made by a completely different team with no names that I recognize, and is packed with stars. The overuse of the big theme song from the first one feels cheap though. There's also a bit of a gaffe when the scientists discuss how the virus never moved across species. Monkeys!

First film has a really big lift/tribute to Dawn of the Dead - stopping for fuel and being attacked by a child.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 06, 2024, 01:03:12 PMWatched these two over the last two nights. First one is an awful looking film, horrible photography captured on awful cameras. The switch to 'proper' film for the ending really eases the visual burden of watching it, but that's not worth 100 minutes of muddy horribly coloured fuzz, even if that was the intention.

wait what, why did they do that?

El Unicornio, mang

It was shot in SD video on a (for the time) state of the art digital camera, before they were available in HD, because it was cheap and gave it a gritty documentary look and was easy to carry around and film. (See also: INLAND EMPIRE)

The switch to film at the end was to show the contrast.

The bluray is upscaled but the video parts still look ropey. Although it's a good example that if the story, characters etc are good it doesn't really matter.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 06, 2024, 01:21:29 PMIt was shot in SD video on a (for the time) state of the art digital camera, before they were available in HD, because it was cheap and gave it a gritty documentary look and was easy to carry around and film. (See also: INLAND EMPIRE)

The switch to film at the end was to show the contrast.

The bluray is upscaled but the video parts still look ropey. Although it's a good example that if the story, characters etc are good it doesn't really matter.

It really does matter, it looks absolutely awful on Blu-Ray. I imagine the DVD would still look perfectly fine. The upscaling has been done very poorly, lots of artifacts and distracting visual issues. Very distracting in terms of watching something that has been presented unprofessionally by the home media people, rather than the filmmakers. Though I still don't care for the basic look of what is in this case presented badly by whoever upscaled it, either. Both sides at fault IMO.

GoblinAhFuckScary

mm it definitely works better than inland empire. the general visual muddiness really doesn't help a very abstract long story. less beautiful nightmare more nauseous k-hole

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 06, 2024, 01:28:32 PMIt really does matter, it looks absolutely awful on Blu-Ray.

But it looked awful anyway. It was shot on a DV camcorder and they've done as much as they can with the source. Watch the original release vs the bluray on a big screen and I'd say the latter is a slightly better watch even with those issues, and you get the benefit of the extra contrast when it shifts to 35mm. But any version of it looks like shit.

kngen

Haven't seen it in years (and that was on VHS with a pretty small TV), but at what point does it switch to film - when they get to the army base?

A lot of the criticism I've seen over the years is that it's two different films shunted together, which never really made sense to me. It's a fucking post-apocalyptic virus film - yes, there are ways to portray that in a two-hander in a single location (like Pontypool, I suppose), but the whole post-apocalyptic scenario is absolute carte blanche for picaresque(-esque) travels and encounters with different folk trying to survive in different ways - and all before The Walking Dead completely ground that concept in to the dirt (and leaves) repeatedly, with increasingly diminishing returns.

Some great set pieces in 28 Weeks Later, too (although the film as a whole didn't resonate with me as much.) New one sounds interesting.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 06, 2024, 01:29:22 PMmm it definitely works better than inland empire. the general visual muddiness really doesn't help a very abstract long story. less beautiful nightmare more nauseous k-hole

You lot must have good eyes, i have no issue watching these films on my 2002 issue Nokia

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: kngen on April 06, 2024, 02:21:08 PMHaven't seen it in years (and that was on VHS with a pretty small TV), but at what point does it switch to film - when they get to the army base?

Just the last 3 minutes

touchingcloth

We've got Boyle directing our fate
And we're praying it's not 28
Millennia Later

GoblinAhFuckScary

don't mind 28 days being so grainy really. find it actually a rather pleasing home-grown quality. an extremely Film4 movie if there ever was one

GoblinAhFuckScary

IT'S BEEN GOING ON FOR 28 YEARS

Ferris

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 06, 2024, 02:33:37 PMIT'S BEEN GOING ON FOR 28 YEARS

Lee and Herring consider rewrite