Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deep Astronomy and the Romantic Sciences (2022)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 20, 2024, 08:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 0 replies thread, but I thought I'd start it as I only discovered director Cory McAbee through CaB, plus it can be watched for free here: https://www.redplanetplanningcommission.com/deepastronomymovie

And here's some words about it that I doubt will make much sense, but eh, I wanted to try and explain how I felt about it.

Deep Astronomy and the Romantic Sciences (2022) - Cory McAbee was responsible for The American Astronaut and Stingray Sam, two of my favourite lo-fi musicals, and this is... Um... Well, hard to describe at the very least. Apparently the idea was that an open arts collective formed to come up with ideas for a feature film, and this is the end result, though that still doesn't mean I'm quite sure what its intentions were. There's a framing device about a guy who meets a robot in a bar who's going to be sent to Mars next week, and she tells him all about Cory McAbee, and so we get to see a bunch of footage from gigs that he performed at, which seem to be a mixture of music, comedy and random ideas? Plus some other people occasionally give speeches and there's some fake adverts and I kind of guess I know what it's sort of saying, but explaining it is a whole other matter. I'm not sure I'd recommend it either, but I imagine it's the kind of project that some will get a lot more out of, and some will get a whole less out of. I've no idea how to rate it either, I guess a kind of 7.0/10 seems about right, there's some nice moments and some confusing ones and I didn't dislike it but for me it wasn't anywhere near as good as the other films he directed.

Minami Minegishi

I remember in about 2004 he was the darling of the Leeds Film Festival after screening American Astronaut, winning a couple of awards, and then did a crazy gig that night. Very fun, and one of my fondest memories of that year. I really loved the film but shamefully I didn't see Stingray Sam. I'll definitely watch this.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on January 22, 2024, 12:05:33 PMI remember in about 2004 he was the darling of the Leeds Film Festival after screening American Astronaut, winning a couple of awards, and then did a crazy gig that night. Very fun, and one of my fondest memories of that year. I really loved the film but shamefully I didn't see Stingray Sam. I'll definitely watch this.

That sounds like a great night, and despite the opening post I would still love to see him perform live. I think part of why I gave it such a mixed review is because my expectations were so high, and it'd been such a long time since his previous film, so others may like it a lot more than I did.

Stingray Sam's on youtube in full btw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfggiZLn60 while Crazy & Thief is on Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/88615309 - I don't know much about the latter other than that it sounds like a 52 minute home video, but I'll no doubt watch it at some point.

Mister Six

Fucking love these threads, @Small Man Big Horse. I'll keep my eyes open for this one, even with your mixed review.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2024, 12:57:48 AMFucking love these threads, @Small Man Big Horse. I'll keep my eyes open for this one, even with your mixed review.

Thanks for that, I'd be really interested to hear what you make of it.