Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Weather's not looking good

Started by kalowski, February 02, 2024, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Sad news for fans of Rocky, The Mandalorian, Predator and Star vs. the Forces of Evil
QuoteCarl Weathers, former NFL player turned Hollywood actor who starred as Apollo Creed in the Rocky movies, dies aged 76

lauraxsynthesis

I was today old when I found out it's his arm in this meme. Should have guessed really

Egyptian Feast

I liked this story I saw on Twitter just now about how his character on Arrested Development mainly came about because Mitch Hurwitz was too embarrassed to admit he only wanted him for a Rocky parody.

elliszeroed

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 02, 2024, 09:41:47 PMI liked this story I saw on Twitter just now about how his character on Arrested Development mainly came about because Mitch Hurwitz was too embarrassed to admit he only wanted him for a Rocky parody.

Didn't know that! I gotta get a stew going!

One of my favourite minor characters in the show.

Keebleman

I'm not normally one for this 'Oscar So White' nonsense, but it's ridiculous that both Burgess Meredith and Burt Young got nominated for Rocky yet he didn't.  His performance was crucial to the film's success.  It had to be pitched just right.

Blumf

What's the matter? The CIA got you pushing up too many daisies? Huh? Had enough?

George White

Best email I ever got was from Weathers via his agent telling me that he did not remember why his BBC3 show Phoo Action was cancelled.  I was trying to do an article on the mysterious cancellation of the series, while in production.
I was astonished he made the effort to reply. Little old me getting an email from Carl Weathers.

Also one of my favourite Viz 'celebrity-run guest columns' was Weathers' Spoons, where the Hollywood action star tells us about cutlery.

Glebe

Sad news... I was never that au fait with the Rocky movies so yeah, Predator was what I really knew him from. He had a bit of a resurgence of course with his role as Greef Karga in Mando - he also directed a couple of episodes. RIP CW.

Mister Six

RIP Carl Weathers. I've never seen a Rocky film, but he was very funny in Arrested Development.

Quote from: George White on February 03, 2024, 07:38:42 AMBest email I ever got was from Weathers via his agent telling me that he did not remember why his BBC3 show Phoo Action was cancelled.  I was trying to do an article on the mysterious cancellation of the series, while in production.
I was astonished he made the effort to reply. Little old me getting an email from Carl Weathers.

Also one of my favourite Viz 'celebrity-run guest columns' was Weathers' Spoons, where the Hollywood action star tells us about cutlery.

Did you ever find out? I remember being appalled that Phoo Action "won" over the obviously superior Being Human, then surprised and delighted that BH ended up going to series. I assumed there was some kind of outcry that led to the Beeb reversing the decision. Was it just that BH, having one writer, a handful of not-really-famous actors and a real-world setting, was cheaper?

George White

Quote from: Mister Six on February 03, 2024, 01:44:00 PMRIP Carl Weathers. I've never seen a Rocky film, but he was very funny in Arrested Development.

Did you ever find out? I remember being appalled that Phoo Action "won" over the obviously superior Being Human, then surprised and delighted that BH ended up going to series. I assumed there was some kind of outcry that led to the Beeb reversing the decision. Was it just that BH, having one writer, a handful of not-really-famous actors and a real-world setting, was cheaper?
I think there were production issues. Two of the regular cast were Americans (Eddie Shin and Weathers) too. So I imagine that might have added some problems.   

Mister Six