Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:36:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Indiana Jones V

Started by St_Eddie, April 09, 2018, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Watched over Christmas and god it dragged on. Over two and a half hours and it felt like two hours of it were chase scenes.

It starts off well enough in New York in the 60s with Indy being out of touch then it becomes a mildly entertaining action film which does nothing with the concept of Indiana Jones and all the backstory that goes behind it. This isn't even a retirement send-off for him, not remotely close, and it's as though they were kind of hoping they might make another one rather than provide a fitting finale. Such a wasted opportunity to end on a high.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on December 30, 2023, 11:35:41 PMIt is a bit sad, being reminded of how fucking mediocre most of the Great British public are.

Yes, I'm a snob.

Yes.

yeah me too but i suppose i just wish i wasn't.

dissolute ocelot

I'd rather old men were enjoying this than Spielberg's Oedipus complex, or Jim Broadbent walking a lot, which is only going to give them silly ideas, or for that matter Five Nights at Freddy's. Nothing with evil nazis getting beaten by Toby Jones and Phoebe Waller-Bridge can be all bad. It's a reasonably entertaining adventure movie, and anyone who went into it expecting anything else deserves to watch Harrison Ford's next film, a remake of Salò which is just him on the toilet for 2 hours.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 31, 2023, 02:02:21 PMHarrison Ford's next film, a remake of Salò which is just him on the toilet for 2 hours.

Take my money.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on December 30, 2023, 11:35:41 PMIt is a bit sad, being reminded of how fucking mediocre most of the Great British public are.

Yes, I'm a snob.

Yes.

Some people just want to be entertained for a couple of hours without being too challenged. That isn't mediocre. They just want different things out of films than you do

Mister Six

dontpaintyourteeth

What's supposed to be so great about Phoebe Hey in Walla I'll see you in Walla Walla Bridge anyway?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: phantom_power on January 02, 2024, 03:35:03 PMSome people just want to be entertained for a couple of hours without being too challenged. That isn't mediocre. They just want different things out of films than you do

How can you be entertained by something that's badly written and directed?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 02, 2024, 04:17:41 PMHow can you be entertained by something that's badly written and directed?

and, most of all, really fucking boring.

Mister Six

That's the thing, isn't it? I'm not being down on people for enjoying blockbuster entertainment, I'm down on people for enjoying such depressingly subpar, half-hearted cack. The original Indy films are some of the most imaginative, funny and exciting blockbusters ever. They invented the mine cart chase, and created the template for the modern pulp-adventure hero. You can see their influence in everything from Donkey Kong Country to bloody Aquaman! A hat and a whip. Those first four notes of John Williams' score. That shit is iconic.

And they're so beautifully directed! Even Temple of Doom, which Spielberg admits basically winging, is packed with style and charm.

So to see people so easily delighted by a sluggish, ham-fisted, lazily plotted pile of mediocrity is kind of dispiriting, because Hollywood studios have the capacity to give us big crowd-pleasing romps that are actually made with care and attention and love and ingenuity - but plebs like John Porridgebrain of Nuneaton or whoever the fuck he is mean there's very little incentive for them to do so as long as they can be herded in the right direction with the right basic stimuli. You might as well just dangle some tinsel in this thick fucking cunt's face, for all he understands or appreciates art and the effort that goes into it.

Fuck him. Fuck 'em all.

Mister Six

(Don't worry, I'm almost joking.)

phantom_power

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 02, 2024, 04:17:41 PMHow can you be entertained by something that's badly written and directed?

I can't but some people can, and it depends on what you mean by "badly". I don't think there is anything wrong with disagreeing with someone's taste, or saying what they like is bad. I don't think calling them mediocre for liking something different to you is very fair though, and a bit smug, even if you think they thing they like is mediocre