Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sharing via Plex

Started by Tokyo van Ramming, June 27, 2023, 05:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo van Ramming

Got round to sorting out my own Plex server at the weekend, which really is great, but I'd like to share access to it with at least one friend.

Is there any realistic danger in doing so? Until now I've been using Google Drive and while it's handy, Plex is amazing!

touchingcloth

Legal risk, or hacking risk?

I'm not sure about the hacking side, but the legal risk is that your friend shares (or has stolen) their password and you end up with lots of people streaming from your server.

I don't think Plex has any native features where you could restrict based on IP address rather than just a password, but if you were worried about it you could maybe limit to just your friend's IP from a firewall on the server where Plex is running, or your home router.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 27, 2023, 08:48:07 AMLegal risk, or hacking risk?

I'm not sure about the hacking side, but the legal risk is that your friend shares (or has stolen) their password and you end up with lots of people streaming from your server.

I don't think Plex has any native features where you could restrict based on IP address rather than just a password, but if you were worried about it you could maybe limit to just your friend's IP from a firewall on the server where Plex is running, or your home router.

Legal risk, aye. I get the impression it's being cracked down upon but haven't seen any reports of small scale users being affected.

Thanks tc, I'll tell him to be vewwy careful.