Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phone charger advice needed

Started by Funcrusher, July 04, 2023, 01:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

So I just upgraded to a new phone because my six year old Motorola is getting to the end of its life. New phone is a Sony Xperia 10v. I was vaguely aware going in that it doesn't come with a supplied charger, but I thought I had something that would work but in fact my cable is micro USB but this uses USB C - hopefully haven't caused any issues trying to put the wrong cable in.

So obviously the advice from Sony is to use an official Sony charger that costs thirty quid, but I'd rather not pay that much. Am I likely to be okay using some non brand cable and wall charger? Is there something I can buy from my town's high street, like Currys or Argos, that would do the job? I've got an Amazon wall plug adaptor for USB A. Could I just plug a USB A to USB C cable into that, if such a thing exists?

touchingcloth

You don't even need a cable. I've got a mish mash of USB-A and -C sockets and cables and powerbanks, and a few of these (and their opposites) for handling cables and sockets that don't like each other

https://www.amazon.co.uk/usb-usb-c-adapter/s?k=usb+a+to+usb-c+adapter

Currys will almost certainly sell them, but for two or three times the price you can buy them online.

Memorex MP3

Should be fine 👍

Only risk with a non brand usb cable would be if it's a cable that converts the voltage to something other than 5v. Those are generally extremely uncommon and stand out by having a chunky ending at the usb a side as they need a pcb to handle the conversion

Only downside of using the power adapter would be if its wattage is low, which could impact how quickly the phone charges.

Funcrusher

Thanks all for helpful replies. I figured this would be fine, but just worrying unnecessarily about breaking a new gadget.

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 04, 2023, 02:40:30 PMOnly downside of using the power adapter would be if its wattage is low, which could impact how quickly the phone charges.

This is the same as my old phone, the charger that came with it charges faster than the power adaptor. Ta.

Sebastian Cobb

Thread has reminded me I was going to buy my mum a new charger as her connector was frayed... what's the name for the Apple connector commonly used on iPad mini and iPhones but possibly not the latest models (I don't know) I think she has a 7 or 8?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 04, 2023, 03:56:47 PMThread has reminded me I was going to buy my mum a new charger as her connector was frayed... what's the name for the Apple connector commonly used on iPad mini and iPhones but possibly not the latest models (I don't know) I think she has a 7 or 8?

iPhones all use Lightning connection for the last 10 years or so. Older iPad minis use the same - newer ones (think the since the last revision) USB-C.

Sebastian Cobb

Ta!, it'll be lightning, I knew it wasn't the big one but wasn't sure if the very new models had changed.

canadagoose

USB A to USB C cable and your current charger will do fine (as already stated) but your new phone supports Power Delivery, so you might want to get one of these to charge your phone a good bit faster (requires USB C to USB C cable):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09CYJZRV9