Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phones that lack an earphone jack

Started by Icehaven, August 04, 2023, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Usually it's because phone manufacturers deliberately limit how much volume you get out of the head phone jack for fear of kids turning themselves deaf and suing them.  The people who make the usb adapters don't really give a crap about that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 24, 2023, 12:52:46 PMUsually it's because phone manufacturers deliberately limit how much volume you get out of the head phone jack for fear of kids turning themselves deaf and suing them.  The people who make the usb adapters don't really give a crap about that.

It's an EU thing.
QuoteSince 2013, all music players sold in the European Union and Switzerland must effectively limit volume output to 85dB(SPL), though users can override the limit and increase the volume up to 100dB.18 May 2023

Obvs cheap electronics makers in China don't care. But I think some official non-EU Android roms don't bother with it either.

Sonny_Jim

That's interesting, never realised it was an EU thing.  Always assumed it was one of those 'gentlemens agreements' things like Japanese sportscars being limited to a certain speed/advertised with a certain horsepower.

Minami Minegishi

Just an update to say that both of the adaptor splitters I bought for charging and headphone use did not work with my Pixel 6.

The headphones worked but the charger did not. Still looking!