Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Home Cinema Help

Started by Minami Minegishi, August 18, 2023, 02:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minami Minegishi

I know there is a projector question below but it's a bit specific and I got a '90 day warning' so I'm starting a new thread.

So I have my 50th birthday coming up and my family want to get me something but as I have recently eschewed all earthly objects by selling all my records, dvds and books, they are a bit stumped.

My recent visits to the cinema have confirmed that it isn't something I want to continue doing, and I would very much like to have a home cinema set-up that is as good as I can make it.

I have OCD (literally) so I will definitely notice pixelation and quality issues which will piss me off so I would rather get something of high quality, than spend a couple of hundred on something that isn't. But on the other hand I suspect I will be making up the other half of the cost, so if I can get something decent for less than 1.5k I'd be pretty happy.

Is that feasible? A good 4k projector, with sound system and screen for 1.5k or less? AIBU?

If that is naivety then I will start saving up for the new year sales or similar.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Memorex MP3

You surely can get a decent projector for under 1.5k at this stage; I got a great 1080p (which goes a lot further in a good projector than on a TV in my experience) optoma one like 5 years ago for a couple hundred used.

Sound system is a bit messier. You can probably get a decent enough 5.1 setup for not too much, or a soundbar and sub, or could gradually build out a sonos setup

RE: the OCD I'd say consider just getting an amazing OLED TV instead. The gradual efforts to optimise the projector setting might wind up being a bit of an endless hole. You could also wind up in a situation where the ideal setting requires a bunch of tweaks to set up each time that ultimately results in you just watching shit elsewhere regardless (source: the amount of films I've watched on my laptop over the last few years with a projector sitting idly in the same room)
If you've got a dedicated space and can really commit to it it could be a pretty fun project though.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on August 19, 2023, 01:30:58 AMYou surely can get a decent projector for under 1.5k at this stage...

I've been looking around and the prices are wild. From 250 to 5.5k. I think something around the 500-700 mark would do for my needs.

QuoteSound system is a bit messier. You can probably get a decent enough 5.1 setup for not too much, or a soundbar and sub, or could gradually build out a sonos setup

I live in a pretty small cottage so I think this is less of a necessity, although some would disagree with me. Anything has to be better than the speakers on my TV....

QuoteRE: the OCD I'd say consider just getting an amazing OLED TV instead. The gradual efforts to optimise the projector setting might wind up being a bit of an endless hole.  same room)

Yeah, this my main debate. Although I'm in a cottage the main living room is actually very large and open plan so would definitely work well with a projector. I have a 65" Samsung TV (QLED) and I do love its ridiculous size. But I am very much a sit on the front row at the cinema person. I love the spectacle of a projected film filling my vision.

I'm also a ridiculous cinephile - I watch at least one film per day. So I guess you could say it's my main hobby and as such I don't mind spending time and money on a home cinema set-up.

Peri Peri

Projectors can be great but dependent on the right conditions or spending bare dollar. Do you have blackout blinds? Where is the sun/moon when you normally watch movie? You may need to be pumping bare nits to compensate if you don't have blinds/curtains. Sound system is essential, even more so with a larger viewing size. Enveloping image needs enveloping sound. Can you go to Richer Sounds or something and try a few out? They usually have bare testing rooms for you to mix and match. Then just buy the shid you like off eBay.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Peri Peri on August 19, 2023, 02:27:41 PMProjectors can be great but dependent on the right conditions or spending bare dollar. Do you have blackout blinds? Where is the sun/moon when you normally watch movie? You may need to be pumping bare nits to compensate if you don't have blinds/curtains. Sound system is essential, even more so with a larger viewing size. Enveloping image needs enveloping sound. Can you go to Richer Sounds or something and try a few out? They usually have bare testing rooms for you to mix and match. Then just buy the shid you like off eBay.

Cheers! The main issue in the house is letting in light, not shutting out light. It is a traditional 3-foot thick walls with tiny windows situation. So yes, blacking out will be absolutely fine.

They don't have Richer Sounds in Ireland and eBay isn't really a think here either. So I would almost certainly be ordering off that internet. However, I do visit the UK often so a detour to Richer Sounds is definitely something I need to do. I didn't actually realise they were helpful in there - I thought they were the technology equivalent of a Record & Tape Exchange.

Peri Peri

@Minami Minegishi Definitely worth a visit, you just need to maintain some sort of pretence that you'll buy from them. In fact, I did get a telly from them a few years ago because they price-matched and their service was great. They're kind of old school and they may well price match if you find what you want cheaper elsewhere. Definitely worth an ask.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Peri Peri on August 19, 2023, 03:01:17 PM@Minami Minegishi Definitely worth a visit, you just need to maintain some sort of pretence that you'll buy from them. In fact, I did get a telly from them a few years ago because they price-matched and their service was great. They're kind of old school and they may well price match if you find what you want cheaper elsewhere. Definitely worth an ask.

Nice one so thanks - I don't need a top of the range, and last year's models will do me fine I'm sure.

Mr_Simnock

You can get an 86 inch LCD TV for about £1500, or you could go 77 inch OLED for about £3000, just ideas