Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Paul Putner's finest moments

Started by Old Thrashbarg, August 12, 2023, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stranger

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2023, 02:58:43 PMSaw him a few years ago doing a thing at the fringe about his love of madness. It wasn't really funny or gripping but was nice to hear him talk passionately about all the same.

I enjoyed his appearance on the Comfort Blanket podcast talking about Madness videos.

I also saw him at the recent Suggs RHLSTP recording. He's mad for Madness.

Mobbd

There's a bonus feature on a Richard Herring DVD, a documentary where Herring and Co are working on a play (called, I think, "It's not the end of the world) in Fiji.

Tensions are high, people are arguing, and Paul takes this moment to ask Rich if he's seen "Mr Hoppity Comes to Town." It's the way he's wilfully ignoring all the chaos, how casual he's being with his silly question. He's still chewing some food as he speaks and he stumbles thoughtfully over the correct title of the film. It's masterful. And so hard to describe how funny it is. I also love how Rich gazes on with nothing but love and respect for his friend's mischievous bit.

I'd love to see it on YouTube if anyone can find it. To save rooting through all those DVDs.

Huxwell

Quote from: Mobbd on August 14, 2023, 08:08:17 PMThere's a bonus feature on a Richard Herring DVD, a documentary where Herring and Co are working on a play (called, I think, "It's not the end of the world) in Fiji.

Tensions are high, people are arguing, and Paul takes this moment to ask Rich if he's seen "Mr Hoppity Comes to Town." It's the way he's wilfully ignoring all the chaos, how casual he's being with his silly question. He's still chewing some food as he speaks and he stumbles thoughtfully over the correct title of the film. It's masterful. And so hard to describe how funny it is. I also love how Rich gazes on with nothing but love and respect for his friend's mischievous bit.

I'd love to see it on YouTube if anyone can find it. To save rooting through all those DVDs.
It's on the Christ on a bike extras DVD.

Pranet

Quote from: Glebe on August 12, 2023, 09:01:50 PMI wish there was a better quality version available of the Comic Relief Blankety Blank piss-take (yes, that's Serafinowicz Wogan in me current av!), in which PP cameos as a prize chauffeur!:

Paul Putner says

https://twitter.com/RealPaulPutner/status/1692653956759982308

"Finally uploaded a less fuzzy version of the 'Blankety Blank' Comic Relief 2003 sketch ( + curtain call!) from my VHS tape. (VCR on timer that night)
The sound is slightly quieter, but at least the visuals aren't so 'Claude Monet -ified' as the old link."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUC4un_G5AA

Glebe

You beauty! Cheers Pranet!

[EDIT]Nice bonus
Spoiler alert
cast taking a bow at the end there!
[close]

Twonty Gostelow

Good to have that extra bit at the end that confirms Stirling Gallacher as the activist/contestant.
Previous discussions on CaB and elsewhere have suggested Fiona Allen or Morwenna Banks or Jo Unwin.

non capisco

Some interesting insights in Putner's replies on that Twitter thread as well about how they felt it died on its arse on the night as was the nature of Comic Relief turns.

For those of you understandably not still on Musk's Playground

QuoteWe were all feeling rather depressed actually, because the sketch VT insert kind of died with the studio audience at that late point in the night. The tired, bussed in "beans in a bathtub" charity raiser crowd just wanted to have a piss and go home.

QuotePerhaps they should've added more fake 1981 studio audience laughter?  Funnily enough, the weird silences add to the glorious weirdness of it all.
Mind you, we brought the house down compared to some of the other VT turns that night.
A Comic Relief turn? Performing in a vacuum.

I agree with him that the silences inadvertently create a strange enhancing atmosphere.

neveragain

Ha, yes. I agree.

A "fun fact" about the piece. David Walliams doesn't appear in the curtain call because, according to his autobiography, after the filming he was rushed straight to the Priory. He does look rather thin and out of sorts in the sketch, although I think that adds to Ruth Madoc's despair.

Cuellar

Just seen him pop up as a Venetian ambassador in Jeremy Irons growl-and-chunter vehicle The Borgias from a few years ago.

Glebe

Quote from: Cuellar on August 23, 2023, 09:11:42 PMJust seen him pop up as a Venetian ambassador in Jeremy Irons growl-and-chunter vehicle The Borgias from a few years ago.

"Ambassador, you are really spoiling us with these curious oranges!"

Magnum Valentino

Rolf Lundgren

The universe crossing in the Frasier thread reminds me of Paul Putner's idea for the last episode of EastEnders he recounted on the Rule of Three podcast.

I'm paraphrasing but the cast of EastEnders all stand in the square and raise a glass to the camera which then zooms out of Walford, the UK, Europe, the world until eventually the Earth is just a speck of dust. Then it slowly zooms back in and lands on Manchester and the Rovers Return where at the bar Ken Barlow is standing. The camera continues to zoom under his fingernail suggesting the entire EastEnders universe has been there the whole time.

Mobbd

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 24, 2023, 07:41:39 PMI'm paraphrasing but the cast of EastEnders all stand in the square and raise a glass to the camera which then zooms out of Walford, the UK, Europe, the world until eventually the Earth is just a speck of dust. Then it slowly zooms back in and lands on Manchester and the Rovers Return where at the bar Ken Barlow is standing. The camera continues to zoom under his fingernail suggesting the entire EastEnders universe has been there the whole time.

I was going to say "that's genius!" but I'm distracted by how we don't see Barlow on the zoom out.

Better to zoom in on Barlow who, not knowing that anyone is observing him, does a fart. And then someone knocks the door and a Corrie episode continues.

Thosworth

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 24, 2023, 07:41:39 PMThe universe crossing in the Frasier thread reminds me of Paul Putner's idea for the last episode of EastEnders he recounted on the Rule of Three podcast.

I'm paraphrasing but the cast of EastEnders all stand in the square and raise a glass to the camera which then zooms out of Walford, the UK, Europe, the world until eventually the Earth is just a speck of dust. Then it slowly zooms back in and lands on Manchester and the Rovers Return where at the bar Ken Barlow is standing. The camera continues to zoom under his fingernail suggesting the entire EastEnders universe has been there the whole time.

If the Eastenders' Earth is under his fingernail, it should just keep zooming out. Zooming back in makes no sense.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Thosworth on August 25, 2023, 01:19:53 PMIf the Eastenders' Earth is under his fingernail, it should just keep zooming out. Zooming back in makes no sense.

It sort of does, if you think in the terms of the last moments of Cosmic Zoom (1977).

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on August 12, 2023, 11:44:38 PMHe was fucking brilliant when he performed as Frankie Tan.

"Can I be frank with you?"

"All the stars have played here: Edwin, Ringo, Freddie....The Death"
Genius stuff

petril

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 24, 2023, 07:41:39 PMI'm paraphrasing but the cast of EastEnders all stand in the square and raise a glass to the camera which then zooms out of Walford, the UK, Europe, the world until eventually the Earth is just a speck of dust. Then it slowly zooms back in and lands on Manchester and the Rovers Return where at the bar Ken Barlow is standing. The camera continues to zoom under his fingernail suggesting the entire EastEnders universe has been there the whole time.

the final episode just has the opening titles, except it doesn't stop zooming out

Twilkes

I'd forgotten that he played the mime in Paris Je t'Aime. Does anyone know where he trained as an actor, did he ever go to Lecoq in France?

Given the history of French physical acting, it's maybe quite a coup that a chubby British man got that role in one of the most accessible French films of recent years.

Stonefish

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 13, 2023, 02:00:44 PMThe episode of Smershpod where he comes on to talk about The Long Good Friday is one of the best episodes of that podcast ever. His Bob Hoskins impression is incredible.

Thanks, really enjoyed this. "Colin's been stabbed!!"

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Stonefish on August 26, 2023, 12:47:11 PMThanks, really enjoyed this. "Colin's been stabbed!!"

"Mind my grief!"

Glebe

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on August 12, 2023, 11:44:38 PMHe was fucking brilliant when he performed as Frankie Tan.

"Can I be frank with you?"

That's great! Eddie Large would be proud!

Barry Admin

The preciseness of "butyl nitrite" and "Some Mothers Do Have Them" absolutely destroyed me.  What a fucking set.  I've had to pause at the Niki Lauda bit for a break.  Dr... Phil.

non capisco

It's gold all the way through but my biggest laugh was him trying to rescue the fumbled "So I bit him" joke. "So, I went back upstairs and said what did you say?..."

The little looks to the side and lapel clutchings are brilliant. Was this a one off character or was he doing Frankie Tan regularly, does anyone know?

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Quote from: non capisco on August 26, 2023, 08:08:17 PMIt's gold all the way through but my biggest laugh was him trying to rescue the fumbled "So I bit him" joke. "So, I went back upstairs and said what did you say?..."

The little looks to the side and lapel clutchings are brilliant. Was this a one off character or was he doing Frankie Tan regularly, does anyone know?

I've not seen him do Frankie Tan lately, but for a good while he was a regularly appearing character at various clubs.

Barry Admin

I had to watch the Bobby Davro clip again, enjoyed the fact he had his trousers down in that.  Next up tonight: Doop.

(Vaguely recall getting mocked for liking it at the time, but how can you not like something based round the Charleston?)

Barry Admin

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on August 12, 2023, 03:31:03 PM

This has lived with me for the past day or two now. I can't figure out if the narrator puts slightly too much emphasis on the first syllable of "casserole", or if it's just the reptition that makes it. Or both. Never thought casserole was a good word before.

Finally noticed the half empty bowls of casserole sitting in front of the employees, and the out of sequence days of the week. "You will join us for breakfast won't you?"  Nails that line, I think it's my favourite. Serafinowicz also gets the tone incredibly spot on with the looks to camera and, I dunno, it feels like there's a slight unspoken weariness to him, although maybe I'm just getting that from the final line.

I can't believe that fucking Frankie Tan set has been sitting on YouTube all this time, while we were all sitting chatting about Johnny Ding-Dong and Tim Heidecker's standup. The mania of the crescendo is extraordinary. And the perfect timing of the botched timing all the way through the song. Jesus Christ. I really need to stop being such a hyperactive little shitter and get back into comedy again.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 28, 2023, 09:14:47 AMSerafinowicz also gets the tone incredibly spot on with the looks to camera and, I dunno, it feels like there's a slight unspoken weariness to him, although maybe I'm just getting that from the final line.

If there's anything that characterises Look Around You S2 it's impeccable breathing acting.  The weird lip smack/gulp before talking, like they're really exaggerating hitting their marks, Serafinowicz and Josie D'Arby in particular.

non capisco

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 28, 2023, 09:14:47 AMI can't believe that fucking Frankie Tan set has been sitting on YouTube all this time, while we were all sitting chatting about Johnny Ding-Dong and Tim Heidecker's standup. The mania of the crescendo is extraordinary. And the perfect timing of the botched timing all the way through the song. Jesus Christ. I really need to stop being such a hyperactive little shitter and get back into comedy again.

Yeah, Heidecker's stand-up was a comparison point for me as well, along with John Thomson doing Joe Beasley. There's something simultaneously precisely conceived and intentionally ramshackle about Frankie Tan that really hits. Intentionally fucking up the timing of the 'Driving In My Car' bits with perfect timing is a kind of magic trick.

Barry Admin

Quote from: non capisco on August 28, 2023, 12:47:04 PMIntentionally fucking up the timing of the 'Driving In My Car' bits with perfect timing is a kind of magic trick.

Yes, it's like the Les Dawson playing the piano well enough to play it badly thing. Actually a really huge amount of skill and experience needed in order to do it in a funny and effective manner, while still making it look natural and uncontrived.

All Surrogate

Quote from: Twilkes on August 26, 2023, 08:35:12 AMI'd forgotten that he played the mime in Paris Je t'Aime. Does anyone know where he trained as an actor, did he ever go to Lecoq in France?

Given the history of French physical acting, it's maybe quite a coup that a chubby British man got that role in one of the most accessible French films of recent years.

According to Wikipedia "He studied at LAMDA where he won the Kenneth More prize for comedy acting." So it seems he was strong right from the start.

Quote from: non capisco on August 28, 2023, 12:47:04 PMYeah, Heidecker's stand-up was a comparison point for me as well, along with John Thomson doing Joe Beasley. There's something simultaneously precisely conceived and intentionally ramshackle about Frankie Tan that really hits. Intentionally fucking up the timing of the 'Driving In My Car' bits with perfect timing is a kind of magic trick.

The choice of music for Elvis Presley really cracked me up too.