Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Apprentice 2024

Started by Blue Jam, January 27, 2024, 05:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Hat FM on March 08, 2024, 03:55:18 PMCan't believe the guy who looks like a department manager at Waitrose didnt get the boot. that flavour blunder was terrible even if the flavour would have been bad rather than bland with the recomended dosage. wonder if he has a good business plan...

Is he one of the several pie entrepreneurs this year?

Pies will need a really specific level of salt per kilo, I reckon, so he did the equivalent of using one fifth the level of salt and thinking it would be fine to just eyeball it.

Speaking of which, has anyone made eyeball cereals yet?

The genuine business idea I had while watching that was when they mentioned how kids loved space. Someone should make Astro Nuts - they're cereals that come in a tiny little box like those individual multipack boxes, and each portion is inside in a little sachet and you reconstitute them with milk. The toy inside the pack could make a little condom colostomy bag thing to recreate the experience of doing space toilets.

teabone

They must have hidden rules about the same person not being able to take similar roles on in multiple tasks. Why else would they have Noor do the motion capture and voice for their mascot when Trey (who single handedly won the VR escape room task with his motion capture acting) was standing right there?

touchingcloth

Quote from: teabone on March 09, 2024, 01:04:14 AMThey must have hidden rules about the same person not being able to take similar roles on in multiple tasks. Why else would they have Noor do the motion capture and voice for their mascot when Trey (who single handedly won the VR escape room task with his motion capture acting) was standing right there?

Maybe, yeah. It's a recent-ish thing that the tasks have all got so repetitive, even within a single series. They've shot on blue screen for at least three tasks this year - VR escape room, AR game, electric F1 cars - and I could swear that back in the early series they were put in studio cameras maybe twice in the whole series, once when they had to direct an advert and again when they had to appear on a teleshopping channel.

touchingcloth

"I've airdropped you into Sevastopol. The first team to liberate the city, wins."

dead-ced-dead

The winners got to see the Fawlty Towers dinner experience. C&B crossover.

Paul Calf

If you randomly started trying to sell excursions on the streets of Budapest, the police would be fighting the Fundai to extract bribes and blood from you. This show strains kayfabe so badly. I think I'm going to have to find something else to fill my regular Insomnia Thursdays.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on March 14, 2024, 09:57:26 PMThe winners got to see the Fawlty Towers dinner experience. C&B crossover.

I laughed at that. I'm sure that none of them will have even heard of Fawlty Towers

Psybro

I reckon that Steve has.  I reckon he's already been on the Fawlty Towers dining experience.

touchingcloth

Is Noor the most under-the-radar candidate ever? I can't think of anything she's contributed beyond that task where she chipped in to say she reckoned the game they were making ought to be fun.

She's avoided being on the losing team or brought into the boardroom, and it's looking like she'll make it through to interview week which I'm excited to see.

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 15, 2024, 02:31:13 AMIf you randomly started trying to sell excursions on the streets of Budapest, the police would be fighting the Fundai to extract bribes and blood from you. This show strains kayfabe so badly. I think I'm going to have to find something else to fill my regular Insomnia Thursdays.

I love a river cruise, and perhaps I'm missing a trick, but when I'm in an unfamiliar city with an unfamiliar language, I tend to arrange my river cruises by walking down to the river and looking for the boats next to a ticket kiosk, not by heading to the area where the fast food outlets that serve the business district and looking for a suit with a megaphone.

It was a bit mad that they stuck in one location for so long. I wonder if that was their choice, or producers wanting to keep them fenced into an area of the city they had some level of control of. It would have made the episode very funny if Orban had finally managed to overcome the EU's strong sentiment and reinstate capital punishment for business twats.

thr0b

Quote from: OpenMikeKnight on March 15, 2024, 08:36:29 AMI laughed at that. I'm sure that none of them will have even heard of Fawlty Towers

They should've done Boycie tours.

Hat FM

the irish girls tour was real accidental partridge 'you know there's nothing like hearing the pop of a bottle of savignon blanc opening. you really know something big is happening.'

Blue Jam

Quote from: Hat FM on March 17, 2024, 05:43:37 PMthe irish girls tour was real accidental partridge 'you know there's nothing like hearing the pop of a bottle of savignon blanc opening. you really know something big is happening.'

Psybro

"Will we be able to have some wine on our wine tour?"
"Oh, we don't have those here.  It's bottled in Flint, Michigan."

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 15, 2024, 05:27:27 PMIs Noor the most under-the-radar candidate ever? I can't think of anything she's contributed beyond that task where she chipped in to say she reckoned the game they were making ought to be fun.

She's avoided being on the losing team or brought into the boardroom, and it's looking like she'll make it through to interview week which I'm excited to see.

Damn. I've never seen a more surefire firing than this week.

Psybro

I enjoyed them doing the inverse of the Darkplace slow motion gag, but not keeping it away from the dialogue.

touchingcloth

Did anyone feel like the contestants were treating Noor with kid gloves for some reason? Then she wasn't on YF but they didn't announce she was going to be missing, she was just...missing. Summat odd there, hope she's alright as she was a fun candidate.

Psybro

Couldn't tell if that was just them clearly getting their objections in for the tape and then letting her condemn herself with shitty decisions, but the edit was very unkind - constantly cutting off her sentences, unless they were just meandering into nothing.

Gurke and Hare

She was just shit. Did nothing but moan for the first few weeks, was hopelessly indecisive as PM while still refusing to take anything anyone else said on board and then displayed zero self-awareness as to why they lost while taking care to make sure she could throw other under the bus. Such an obvious firing that they didn't even bother with the bringing two people back bit. Probably refused to be on You're Fired as still nursing a massive unfounded sense of injustice.

touchingcloth

QuoteA spokesperson for The Apprentice told The Independent: "Noor declined the opportunity to appear on this week's episode of The Apprentice: You're Fired! and we respect her decision."

Well, that's that.

thr0b

It was crap, but she'd never have survived this week anyway. As the result was entirely Sugar's decision, this was clearly the week he was able to get rid of the dead wood of his choosing.

Paul Calf

He even says as much:

"The campaigns will be judged by experts but the final decision is mine".

touchingcloth

I'm sad he didn't put it in Monopoly money terms. "Team Tannhauser get £0, but Team Pink Floyd get £71 trillion".

Old Thrashbarg

Regardless of whose decision it was ultimately, I think this was the most obvious firing I've ever seen.

touchingcloth

Tre has been pretty good all along, but thought he was a GBoL in that episode.

Psybro

Tre doesn't belong at all, he seems like he's genuinely successful in his field and wouldn't be out of place in a Celebrity version if more people had heard of him.

touchingcloth

These bits with Claud and the other acolytes in the boardroom remind me of the drinking binge scenes in Death of Stalin.

thr0b

I enjoyed Paul being convinced to pivot his business plan to offering something else, Sugar saying he wanted a 50/50 share of his existing business, Paul refusing and essentially quitting.

Blue Jam

touchingcloth

Why do these people not have names or logos for their businesses before reaching the final? Surely the final should be a case of taking the business that you had planned before the series started if not before interviews week, and pitching and promoting it as best you can? Yet they reach this late stage and are trying to decide whether or not CREAMPIE MY POSTBOX is a good name for a business or not.

thr0b

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2024, 01:34:06 PMWhy do these people not have names or logos for their businesses before reaching the final? Surely the final should be a case of taking the business that you had planned before the series started if not before interviews week, and pitching and promoting it as best you can? Yet they reach this late stage and are trying to decide whether or not CREAMPIE MY POSTBOX is a good name for a business or not.

Well, if they used the branding of their own businesses, they'd be advertising that business on the BBC.

What they're doing is promoting a speculative business - they don't use the real business name.

Last night's final entirely washed over me.

Did note the final bloke, like Paul before him, said he wasn't going to change his successful business to Sugar's requirements, and basically lost on that basis. And good for him.