Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Pipistrelles

In the centre of the sheep-field
a stand of Douglas firs
hold between them, tenderly,
a tall enclosure, like a vase.

How could we have missed it
before today – just never seen
this clear, translucent vessel
tinted like citrine?

What we noticed were pipistrelles:
cinder-like, friable; flickering
the place hained by trees
till the air seemed to quicken,

and the bats were a single
edgy intelligence, testing an idea
for a new form,
which unfolded, cohered

before our eyes. The earth's
mind is such interstices, cells
charging with cool dawn light;
– is that what they were telling us?

– but they vanished, suddenly
before we'd understood,
and the trees grew in a circle,
elegant and mute.

KATHLEEN JAMIE (2002)

hermitical

Potter wasp nest in the lavender at work

Gurke and Hare

Hardly any birds around yesterday, so I had to make do with what I think is a ruddy darter

Brian Freeze

Love the wasps nest.

Last night I tried to fashion a moth trap with a bedsheet on the washing line and a LED camping lantern.

Fuck all after an hour.

From a quick read of the intertwat - was it the LED light that bollocksed it up? Any tips for better results?

Was up a hill in the Scottish Borders a few weeks ago at about 600m asl. and a truly gargantuan bird of prey took off from the hillside and disappeared somewhere lower down the slope. Actually made me go 'woah!' fairly loudly. Through the wonders of technology I was able to confirm with the South of Scotland Golden Eagle project that one of their tagged eagles was in the vicinity about the right time. Seems they brought some golden eagles from the Western Isles to supplement the very small remaining native population in the south of Scotland. Still only 30-something in total though so I was very lucky to see in one at such close quarters. Which was nice.

Twit 2

Quote from: Brian Freeze on August 15, 2022, 10:41:09 PMLove the wasps nest.

Last night I tried to fashion a moth trap with a bedsheet on the washing line and a LED camping lantern.

Fuck all after an hour.

From a quick read of the intertwat - was it the LED light that bollocksed it up? Any tips for better results?

Big fuck off light. I did a moth survey once and there was a BFOL.

Brian Freeze

Three good things worth reporting here :-

Watched some cormorants doing some successful seafishing.

Was very pissed off so went and took the dog for a walk and a swallow roared right by our heads when we sat near the top of a hill.

Saw a couple of little Egrets today near Wakefield.

Fishfinger

For a while now sparrows have been really going at the nyger seed feeders that were previously the province of goldfinches. Still seeing finches, but sparrows must eat or spill 90% of it.

king_tubby

Went out on a boat and saw some lazy seals.

Fishfinger

Saw the first sparrowhawk of the year yesterday morning, definitely an adult. Stayed only seconds. Previously they've been regular late autumn/winter garden visitors.

Poobum

Adventures in Italy.

They have mantises there. Loads.

Griffin vultures circling over rescue release site.

Griffin vultures a day before release.

An eagle.

Vulture being tagged and having a lil GPS backpack fitted so they can be tracked.

Me driving us to a vulture GPS point. Passenger took picture, I was very busy trying not to kill everyone.

Buelligan

Vultures a bit previous with the cow.  Or are they there for you?

Poobum

It was ambient cow. I'm not made for the mountains so there's a good chance I'll be feeding 'em eventually. What we actually do is receive GPS data of where vultures have clustered (which means they're feeding, usually) and find out what they've been eating. Today we found nothing.

Spoon of Ploff

I'm starting to put my kestrel watch video clips in order. Here's one of them here:

shiftwork2

Quote from: king_tubby on August 26, 2022, 07:33:31 PMWent out on a boat and saw some lazy seals.

Where was this please?

king_tubby

shiftwork2

Quote from: king_tubby on August 30, 2022, 08:21:16 PMBlakeney Point, North Norfolk.

I thought it was, thanks.  Beans boats maybe.

Gurke and Hare

I went on a Beans Boats trip, very good, would recommend.

king_tubby

We were on a Bishop's Boat. The guide was very good.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Is it just me, or have there not been many ladybirds around this year? I think I've only seen about three. I do hope they're alright.

Brian Freeze

Can anyone identify this caterpillar please?

I cant find our book that might be able to help.

Mr Eggs

Brian Freeze

Excellent, thanks. It was at the seaside, hopefully enjoying itself.

Mr Eggs

Likely looking for seals to perv over like all the dirty blubberlovers upthread.

I saw a red squirrel yesterday.
Thank you.

Endicott

I got very lucky when I went out to try and find dragonflies. I only found one but it was kind enough to hover in one place every now and again. I think it's a male migrant hawker.

BONUS water rats

Twit 2

king_tubby

We saw two kingfishers today, whilst getting the Leeds Water Taxi from Granary Wharf to the Armouries.

Quote from: Endicott on September 02, 2022, 01:06:37 PM

Wee Jimmy Krankie would say those pics are "fan-dabi-dozi" and I would concur.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Endicott on September 02, 2022, 01:06:37 PMI got very lucky when I went out to try and find dragonflies. I only found one but it was kind enough to hover in one place every now and again. I think it's a male migrant hawker.

wow. stunning dragonfly action