Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting 2 - tickety-boo

Started by Endicott, October 30, 2022, 12:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

Old thread https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=68445.0

Hi Team, I went to deepest, darkest Kent so that you don't have to.

This is Cliffe Pools, and it is bleak. So bleak, I have to keep parts of Essex in shot in case my spirit gives out.

I am looking back at the beautiful Essex coast with longing and homesickness.

Still all is not lost, there is beauty to be found, even in Kent.

Goldfinches.

A Chaffinch. ( I think? a female)

Endicott

A female Stonechat (I reckon)

And a male one

Endicott

Lastly. Long Tailed Tits (never seen these before, or the stonechat for that matter)

This one reminds me of both an owl, and Grandpa Munster

Endicott

You can't ask camera equipment questions[2] in here, this is the war room.[1]

[1] this joke fails on every level

[2] it's just a big long lens really and some patience and luck

The latest in an occasional series of blurred wildlife photos - but it was the best I could manage before this red squirrel darted up into the upper reaches of the tree.

Hopefully the wildlife is a bit less confused now that it isn't about 17 degrees C in November, like it was last week.

Mr Vegetables

My sibling once said "my favourite wildlife is YOU" and stared at me for a while, and now these threads make me a bit uncomfortable

DoesNotFollow

No pics but we had an earthworm scaling a vertical wall outside our flat the other evening. It's a painted pebbledash wall so the undulations provide decent grip. God knows WHY it was doing it though!? We've got lots of soil and plant pots in our garden and it had been nice and moist from all the rain. It had made it around 6ft up when we last checked on it!

Endicott

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 16, 2022, 08:15:23 PMThe latest in an occasional series of blurred wildlife photos - but it was the best I could manage before this red squirrel darted up into the upper reaches of the tree.

Hopefully the wildlife is a bit less confused now that it isn't about 17 degrees C in November, like it was last week.

Love a red squirrel, I don't get to see one very often.

I was watching something recently on TV which was wildlife related and had an old couple who went in the woods shooting greys to protect the local reds.

Maurice Yeatman

^  Beautiful. Looks like a wood pigeon that's joined The Sweet.

Endicott

I've got about 4 or 5 blue tits on my bird feeder, but the sparrows, who would empty it in about an hour, seem to be missing for the last couple of months. Or at least only seldom present. It's odd because I don't think they migrate or even travel very far. Some bastard must have a much nicer garden than me.

Here is a chaffinch and a soggy bunny over the park.

Des Wigwam

Saw a very smart greenfinch today. Doesn't sound much but I realised I haven't seen one for ages.

Gurke and Hare

Saw what I thought at first was a water vole but turned out to be a particularly chunky rat. Must be plenty of food around in Morden Hall Park.

bgmnts

Nice! Have seen a few chunky rats that size and even bigger the past year or so, one group hanging out near a road bridge over a train track by Morrisons, so either pickings are slim in safer areas or there must just be lots of juicy litter about.

jobotic

I absolutely love Cliffe Pools (apart from the view being spoiled by Essex). Saw my first kingfisher there. Flocks of Avocets overhead. Ship going down the Thames but look like they're going through fields.

I may even go there tomorrow on my day off. But I won't take photos as good as yours Endicott, you cheeky bugger.

Endicott

That was my first time, what with it being sarf of the river an all. I got talking to a guy in a hide at Rainham, he told me to go there.

Crazy amount of heavy lorries on the way in, and some weird apparently poisonous lakes, I presume through industrial over spill. But the bleakness of the place is something isn't it.

The Dog

Saw this beautiful creature in a field near Princes Risborough.

We were able to observe him for several minutes before he spotted us and scurried into the hedgerow.

shiftwork2

Searching in the sun for another natterjack toad.

Endicott

The elusive Wichita Lineman.

fuckit just stood on your joke. soz

shiftwork2

It's ok, they'll read mine first.  Then they'll read yours and they'll be all like who is this meff

Gurke and Hare

All the foxes are coming to sleep on the shed roofs round here.

Pink Gregory

DoesNotFollow

Had one, maybe two, what I believe were goldcrests fleetingly in the garden the other day. First time I've ever seen one I think and certainly a first for the garden. Lovely jubbly!

Endicott

I saw a long tailed tit on my garden feeder, just for a moment because it didn't stay long. Never seen one in the garden before.

Brian Freeze

Ive never seen the foxy roof ornaments before. I like it.

Gurke and Hare

The one with his nose between his paws has come back and slept like that there every day this week.

Gurke and Hare

I went to Oxford this weekend, they've got loads of birds there.

First redwing of the winter

Stonechat

Thrush

And deer too!

Spoon of Ploff

A crowd of redwings feeding off whats left of the berries on a nearby holy tree.