Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:20:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bristol meet - Sat 19th June - it's drinking, but with Whores

Started by Morrisfan82, May 12, 2004, 03:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"I'll come so long as you don't force me to endure the living death that is the HatShit.

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"And what's wrong with it?  Lovely beer garden, perfect for sitting outside on a September day and enjoying good company, and you can hear people talking (unlike the Watershed, where the music's too loud).

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Goths?  You sure about that?

The guy that I sit next to in work goes down there looking for goths to beat up. The fact that it attracts both goths and people like that is reason enough for any sane man to avoid it.

Having said that, during the day I'm sure that it'll be fine.

Quote from: "king mob"Name another large city centre pub that has a beer garden that wont be showing footy?

The Arnolfini is a fine place to be on a sunny afternoon, watching drunk people fall in the river and 14 year old skaters slam repeatedly over by Lloyds Bank. I don't remember what the beer is like though. The Old Duke and The Llandoger Trow on the Welsh Back are also nice all round venues for a sociable drink. I'm not sure if they'll be showing the football or not, but I wouldn't think so.

Don't let me try and change your minds, I just like to irrationally hate things every now and then. The Big Chill, The Hatchet, and of course The Watershed, the molecule-mind-meeja student haunt of choice. Don't worry, I just forget to take my medicine once in a while. They won't let me do it at work you see, they don't like the effect it has on my attitude ...

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Sorry. Skimmed the thread. Hardly shared a word with you last time either, did I.
Nah, but it's alright. I just assumed you were simple. ;)

Oh btw, I know how to scam the table football machine upstairs if that helps swing the deal with anyone...

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"The guy that I sit next to in work goes down there looking for goths to beat up. The fact that it attracts both goths and people like that is reason enough for any sane man to avoid it.
That's surely rollocks though, I've never seen any goths getting beaten up in or around the Hatchet. Why would you do that anyway? It's like saying you go down the Queen Shilling to beat up gays.

You only get a few goths in there anyway, and even then just on Fri/Sat nights.

And what's wrong with them anyhow? Nice, friendly race of people on the whole. Plus I wish to mate with their women...

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"The Arnolfini is a fine place to be on a sunny afternoon, watching drunk people fall in the river and 14 year old skaters slam repeatedly over by Lloyds Bank. I don't remember what the beer is like though.
Not bad. A bit sketchy for a meeting spot though. But we could always decamp there later on.

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"The Old Duke and The Llandoger Trow on the Welsh Back are also nice all round venues for a sociable drink. I'm not sure if they'll be showing the football or not, but I wouldn't think so.
Yeh, but they're right next to Bar Med, which will be, big-time.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"The guy that I sit next to in work goes down there looking for goths to beat up. The fact that it attracts both goths and people like that is reason enough for any sane man to avoid it.

Quote from: "Muteki"[That's surely rollocks though, I've never seen any goths getting beaten up in or around the Hatchet. Why would you do that anyway? It's like saying you go down the Queen Shilling to beat up gays.

You only get a few goths in there anyway, and even then just on Fri/Sat nights.

And what's wrong with them anyhow? Nice, friendly race of people on the whole. Plus I wish to mate with their women...

Look I'm at work here, I don't have time to respond to reasonable and well founded arguments. Besides, I take no responsibility for my fellow co-workers statements or actions. His last story involved a crackhead trying to steal his mate's lighter, so they beat him up, stole his crack, and smoked it. They think being anti-social is fun.

Personally I don't really have a problem with goths, I just think that they're ugly weirdos. Of course I don't really think that, I'm just saying it to get a rise.

Shall we argue more? If I wind you all up enough we'll have something to fight about when we meet and my allegations won't be just ill-founded slander. It must make me a bad man, slagging off people's favourite pubs, festivals etc. but someone has to do it.

Goddamnit.

Morrisfan82

Whoa, chill bud! I wasn't arguing, I'm just trying to ensure that your colleague's obviously-bullshit tales don't put any timid newcomers off the meet by falsely making them believe that the Hatchet is some sort of hotbed of goths and violence.

# And people hold hands, and feel terrific... #

king mob

The Llandoger is ok but if its shite weather isn't big enough inside, the Arnofini is a decent place to move onto but is rather expensive & you cant swing a cat in the Old Duke.

I've never seen any violence in the Hatchet & anyone whos ever turned up looking for trouble has always been dealt with by the bouncers.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Muteki"Whoa, chill bud! I wasn't arguing, I'm just trying to ensure that your colleague's obviously-bullshit tales don't put any timid newcomers off the meet by falsely making them believe that the Hatchet is some sort of hotbed of goths and violence.

# And people hold hands, and feel terrific... #

My ranting is just a device, y'know. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes it ain't. In this thread, it's not been serious. It's all the same to me, really. I thought that we were having fun.

I don't like to hang around with people who think violence is funny, that was my point. I just stuck that goth thing in to appear narrow minded and judgemental.

Quote from: "king mob"I've never seen any violence in the Hatchet & anyone whos ever turned up looking for trouble has always been dealt with by the bouncers.

OK, enough already. Yes, I'll admit it - The Hatchet is the same as any other pub and there IS NO REASON TO FEAR IT. Apart from the fact that you drink there.

phoresy

Is this meet open to low-posters, or will we be regarded with suspicion?

Morrisfan82

All are welcome in the VW house of love!

Shit, I think I'm losing my aloof-outsider status and starting to sound like some sort of representative of this place... I'd better hurry up and go and start a trolly slagging match with a prolific and respected poster before I get assimilated...

Anyway, enough of the wanking. Yep, everyone's welcome. Heck, I've only been to the one meet myself. But I was greeted with a friendly hello, a stack of Blue Jam CDs and a small portion of a spliff. Which I then had to frantically hide from the landlord who started collecting glasses just as it got round to me.

I should point out though that there may not be similar freebies on offer at this one, that may have just been a one-off.

didgeripoo

Quote from: "Muteki"
Quote from: "Gamma Ray"The Arnolfini is a fine place to be on a sunny afternoon, watching drunk people fall in the river and 14 year old skaters slam repeatedly over by Lloyds Bank. I don't remember what the beer is like though.
Not bad. A bit sketchy for a meeting spot though. But we could always decamp there later on.

Yeah, but it's shut till summer 2005 unfortunately. I rather like the Hatchett, good memories for me. I was there very briefly last night before a Supergrass gig, and yes it is shitty and full of weirdos, but nice shittiness and nice weirdoes

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "didgeripoo"
Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Arnolfini blah de blah
Yeah, but it's shut till summer 2005 unfortunately.
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Ah well, there's plenty more possibilities for laaater.

Quote from: "didgeripoo"I rather like the Hatchett, good memories for me. I was there very briefly last night before a Supergrass gig, and yes it is shitty and full of weirdos, but nice shittiness and nice weirdoes
Hey, what's with the negativity? Stop trying to put people off. It's not weird or shit, it's a friendly 400-year old pub that isn't full of townies & you can sit outside - what more do you want, 24-carat urinals?!

Well a few people have said yeah to this so far, so can we get it stickied?

king mob

Quote from: "Muteki"
Quote from: "didgeripoo"
Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Arnolfini blah de blah
Yeah, but it's shut till summer 2005 unfortunately.
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Ah well, there's plenty more possibilities for laaater.

Quote from: "didgeripoo"I rather like the Hatchett, good memories for me. I was there very briefly last night before a Supergrass gig, and yes it is shitty and full of weirdos, but nice shittiness and nice weirdoes
Hey, what's with the negativity? Stop trying to put people off. It's not weird or shit, it's a friendly 400-year old pub that isn't full of townies & you can sit outside - what more do you want, 24-carat urinals?!

Well a few people have said yeah to this so far, so can we get it stickied?

Lets wash the negativity away shall we?

Theres always this amount of moaning when someone suggests a venue that doesnt quite fit in with where that person may normally go, dont worry the ones that want to come will do.

hencole

If it helps i don't recall seeing a single goth when I went. Anyway goths are just harmless people dressed liked The Crow. Which is funny and funny is good.

king mob

Quote from: "hencole"If it helps i don't recall seeing a single goth when I went. Anyway goths are just harmless people dressed liked The Crow. Which is funny and funny is good.

Amen brother.

fanny splendid

Why do people from Bristol put on that silly accent. It must be a joke, no-one would really speak like that, would they?

fanny splendid

So, you hate fannies then, eh? Eh?

Great choice of name, heh, heh.

In Bristol I would be faaaaaahneeeeeee suuuhpuuuuhlehndiiiiid.

...oive got thoirty acres, you've got foirty-three...

king mob

Quote from: "fanny splendid"So, you hate fannies then, eh? Eh?

Great choice of name, heh, heh.

In Bristol I would be faaaaaahneeeeeee suuuhpuuuuhlehndiiiiid.

...oive got thoirty acres, you've got foirty-three...

You live in Easton then?

;)

fanny splendid

It's alroight moi luvverr, oim onleh pullin yer perd

fanny splendid

I can't remember any more. I spent ten years living in South Devon, for my sins.

*shudders*

Gamma Ray

Alright, I admit it. I was wrong, and I apologize for slandering your favourite pub. I had a beer or two in there last night, and can confirm that I was telling horrible lies - there was no fighting, and there were attractive women. I wasn't really being serious back there anyway, I just think that there are better pubs. Having said that, The Hatchet is best suited for daytrippers.

Speaking of fights, I saw an impressive bar room brawl at The Croft a few weeks ago. Everyone was piling in, guys throwing bar stools about, batons on show. I couldn't believe my eyes. Violence is an ugly thing to see, but if it's between consenting parties I find it funny. I know, I'm going straight to hell.

king mob

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Alright, I admit it. I was wrong, and I apologize for slandering your favourite pub. I had a beer or two in there last night, and can confirm that I was telling horrible lies - there was no fighting, and there were attractive women. I wasn't really being serious back there anyway, I just think that there are better pubs. Having said that, The Hatchet is best suited for daytrippers.

Speaking of fights, I saw an impressive bar room brawl at The Croft a few weeks ago. Everyone was piling in, guys throwing bar stools about, batons on show. I couldn't believe my eyes. Violence is an ugly thing to see, but if it's between consenting parties I find it funny. I know, I'm going straight to hell.

You must have passed me last night in the Hatchet.

The Croft always has one major scrap a week from what i can gather, its a shame as its a decent pub.

Hairy Chin

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"I had a beer or two in there last night, and can confirm that I was telling horrible lies

Heh - that line made me chuckle. I've only ever been to Bristol a few times, and a couple of those few were for 2 meet in said public house and it's beer garden - I thought it was a nice pub, although I'd reccomend not sitting on the 'emergency' plastic chairs as they had some beer residue on them, which *nearly* led to the naming of a new whore...who as far as I know never signed up. So if I go, I'm going to try and get there in plenty of time so I get to sit on a wooden bench round a table. As far as pubs go The Hatchet is a nice one and accomodated us lot rather well last time - both indoors and out.

didgeripoo

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"As far as pubs go The Hatchet is a nice one and accomodated us lot rather well last time - both indoors and out.

Yep. I should make it clear that I wasn't trying to be negative, I genuinely like The Hatchett. And I like goths too. It can attract some strange people, and it is a bit a grimy in places, but that's the same with most pubs. I did most of my teenage drinking in The Hatchett, oh yes indeed.

The Croft does seem like a nice pub, and I'm always surprised to find that it's not really. Crap sound in the gig room too. Still, I've passed a few pleasant evenings in there nonetheless.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Alright, I admit it. I was wrong, and I apologize for slandering your favourite pub. I had a beer or two in there last night, and can confirm that I was telling horrible lies - there was no fighting, and there were attractive women. I wasn't really being serious back there anyway, I just think that there are better pubs. Having said that, The Hatchet is best suited for daytrippers.
You must have passed me last night in the Hatchet.
Ditto, I was in there on Friday too. Kerazy! I was sat outside.

And who said it was my favourite pub? Cos it ain't.

So, who else is up for the meet then?

Still Not George

Will run it past the Cerys. Have favours and cash to repay to certain 'whores, and since they wouldn't let us pay them in money we'll have to do it in mountains of beer.

Be warned, though, my beloved will almost certainly insist on taking photos of body parts. Especially if AY shows up.

Geej

Hey what's going on here?
Either someone has photoshopped my head on somebody elses body in those pics, or I was a little ill last time and don't remember a thing.

Yup, that's the answer.  I was a trifle under the weather.

Count me in.  And I promise not to use alternative orifices to drink with this time.  Can't promise not getting us chucked out of pubs or passing out in my own sick though.

Des Nilsen

Awwww, this looks to be a great meet. But I can't come, as I'm playing a gig that night. :(

-