Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tony Blackburn - Rebel DJ

Started by Alberon, June 23, 2004, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Classic Gold has suspended Tony Blackburn for the crime of playing too much Cliff Richard.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,12636,1245542,00.html

It seems that the station, that defines itself as playing 'classic tracks from the last forty years' doesn't want to play Cliff Richard and has been increasingly pissed off by Blackburn who does.

Quote"As I said on Monday, we might carry out research on him, but for now we have a policy decision that he doesn't match our brand values, he's not on the playlist, and you must stop playing him."

"Requests is [sic] not an excuse," he added.

An unrepentant Blackburn read out the email at around 8.20am this morning then tore it up live on air, threw it in the bin and played two Cliff Richard tracks back to back, thought to be We Don't Talk Any More and Living Doll.

Mr Baish responded quickly, writing in an email: "Tony, Please call me straight after the show. This is really serious now."

I saw Tony Blackburn in Shopping City in Wood Green on Saturday.  He was there with BBC Radio London, though doing what I have no idea.  I just wanted to see how good his wig was and how white his teeth.  Both were superb specimens of genuine-looking bodily facsimiles that money can't buy.

Morrisfan82

QuoteAn unrepentant Blackburn read out the email at around 8.20am this morning then tore it up live on air, threw it in the bin and played two Cliff Richard tracks back to back, thought to be We Don't Talk Any More and Living Doll.
I like the way they say "thought to be", as if to imply no-one was actually listening to verify it.

Ananova's headline may actually provide the answer.

QuoteDJ Blackburn suspended over Cliff

He'd soon stop if you did that, I'd wager.

Lady Beany

Wager?  I would bloody well pay to see that.

Lt Plonker

I wish I'd seen this thread before I posted this:

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=77435#77435

Classic Gold is my shower radio station, and I'm sorry to say I missed this, in amongst the adverts for United Fucking Taxis and Dial-A-Fucking-Skip.

Quote"As I said on Monday, we might carry out research on him, but for now we have a policy decision that he doesn't match our brand values, he's not on the playlist, and you must stop playing him."

What the fuck does that mean? Is Cliff some sort of lab rat? I like Sir Cliffy. He's got some great songs.

another Mr. Lizard

Blackburn's done this sort of thing before. Back in the late 1970s, he had an afternoon slot on Radio One and was forced to play records from the official R1 playlist, which meant pretty much everything in the top 30. He loathed punk, and in one particular week was appalled to find that he was being asked to air a single by Sham 69 (I think it was 'If The Kids Are United'). After some heated discussion and argument with his producer, Tony eventually relented and played the song - but left his microphone open while doing so, and sang along with it in a purposely moronic voice, broadcast to an astonished nation.

I've always liked the bloke, and being one of these 'quiet rebel' types myself, I revel in stories of little victories like this.

Hornet

The be-wigged one has a history of self-indulgence on radio.  When he and his first wife Tessa split up (she fucked off with Richard O'Sullivan from "Man About The House" fame), he played sad, sombre music on his radio show and wept for her.

King of the jungle indeed.

A mate of mine is related to Tony Blackburn, but he keeps it very quiet. He doesn`t even know that I know.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Frank `The Mountain` Hill"A mate of mine is related to Tony Blackburn, but he keeps it very quiet. He doesn`t even know that I know.
Heh, that's hilarious. The way you said that made it seem like he's ashamed of it. I'm not related to anyone famous. Although a mate of mine is a quite close relative to Sting and one of my brother's friend's uncles is Peter Posselthwaite or however the hell you spell it, that old actor guy who was in 'Brassed Off'.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Hornet"When he and his first wife Tessa split up (she fucked off with Richard O'Sullivan from "Man About The House" fame), he played sad, sombre music on his radio show and wept for her.
Didn't he play Honey by Bobby Goldsborough on loop? ;)

I've just remembered that I had a dream with Cliff in it last night, probably entirely fuelled by this thread. Cheers guys.

No I didn't call him a cunt. Missed opportunity.

Hornet

I too am related to a so-called celebrity (of the cooking kind) but I am too ashamed to admit to it either

Alberon

Quote from: "Hornet"I too am related to a so-called celebrity (of the cooking kind) but I am too ashamed to admit to it either

Are you Fanny Craddock's love child or what? We've got to know.

Were you the Hornet that stung Jamie Oliver's tongue?

Hornet

Quote from: "Alberon"
Quote from: "Hornet"I too am related to a so-called celebrity (of the cooking kind) but I am too ashamed to admit to it either

Are you Fanny Craddock's love child or what? We've got to know.

That's too frightening, you'll have to keep guessing I am afraid.  I am in a teasing kind of mood.

Quote from: "Hornet"
That's too frightening, you'll have to keep guessing I am afraid.  I am in a teasing kind of mood.

Are you the bastard love child of Ainslie Harriot and one dead Fat Lady?

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Delia Smith's love toy?
One of Anthony Worrell Thompson's ginger pubes?
One of Gordon Ramsey's fuck up?

Lady Beany

It better not be Gary fucking Rhodes.

Hornet

No and I am not Rick Stein's dog Chalky either...

Lady Beany

Floyd's drunken fumble?  Ross camp Burden?  I am running out now... errr Jane Asher?

Hornet

Quote from: "Lady Beany"It better not be Gary fucking Rhodes.

That was particularly vehement - any reason why?  Though don't go making assumptions.

Lady Beany

He is a spikey haired shit.  Maybe its because when I have got home in the evening lately and been flicking through the channels,  I have been faced with this dick telling me how to make my salmon moist.

He has this look on his face when he has finished cooking, that says 'Yes, look, its perfect. You can TRY, but it will never... NEVER be as perfect as mine. Muhaaa!'

Hornet

Maybe I shouldn't have started this speculation...........

Lady Beany

Its him isn't it?  Do I win anything?

Alberon

While we wait for Hornet to reveal his sordid celebrity secret some breaking on-thread-topic news.

Tony Blackburn has won his Cliff fight with Classic Gold and he can now play as much Cliff Richard as he wants on his show which he is back presenting tomorrow.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,12636,1246470,00.html

Are you the bastard love child of Ainslie Harriot and one dead Fat Lady?
A bit shit to say the least, but as I've just spent 20 minutes doing this instead of working...
This is you isn't it?  Isn't it?!

Ambient Sheep

I don't understand why people hate Gary Rhodes.  Worrall-Thompson and Ramsey I can understand, though.

Lady Beany

*covers ears*  La la laaaaa, I can't hear youuuuuuuuu!

Hairy Chin

You win a moistened salmon.

Gazeuse