Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tony Blackburn - Rebel DJ

Started by Alberon, June 23, 2004, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornet

Yeh, ok I am Gary "fucking" Rhodes better looking, non-cooking brother.

I really wish I had never started this.

Lady Beany

*tumbleweed rolls across CaB and a bell tolls in the distance*

I didn't mean it.

Honest.

OK, hole in the ground, this is the bit where you swallow me up!.... Hole?  Hole?!  Come onnnnnnnn!

Quote from: "Hornet"Yeh, ok I am Gary "fucking" Rhodes better looking, non-cooking brother.

In that case you must be starving whenever you go around to his house.  It's a running joke in our house that whenever we watch him on Saturday Kitchen he always go to so much trouble to cook a meal, then only puts a thimble's worth on each plate.

Not a very funny joke obviously.  But we've got big appetites.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Lady Beany"Maybe its because when I have got home in the evening lately and been flicking through the channels,  I have been faced with this dick telling me how to make my salmon moist.
... Too... many... jokes...

Hornet

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "Hornet"Yeh, ok I am Gary "fucking" Rhodes better looking, non-cooking brother.

In that case you must be starving whenever you go around to his house.  It's a running joke in our house that whenever we watch him on Saturday Kitchen he always go to so much trouble to cook a meal, then only puts a thimble's worth on each plate.

Not a very funny joke obviously.  But we've got big appetites.

I don't go round too much, well not since the restraining order any way....

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Well I'm not keen on his presenting skills either. (Trying to be diplomatic now.)
It's just as Lady B. said about him cooking something soooo perfect that he knows you're never going to better him. His television persona just comes across as smarmy and slimey. Now yes, I can understand why you can hate Ramsey or Worrall Thompson because they're both extreme personalities, but to me they're so down to earth in a Maris Piper sort of way that I suppose you either love them or hate them. A bit like Marmite really and not a Maris Piper. I think Rhodes' problem is that he's got no edge to his personality on screen. Tell him to start chucking ingredients about and calling people cunts.
Oh, I don't blame you for taking offence to people slating your brother, but at the same time, I love my brother dearly, but he can be a cunt. Plus, tell him to get that haircut. Then people might stop mistaking him for Nigel Kennedy.

Hornet

I am not taking offence - honest!!!!!!!

When he first appeared on screen about 94 or 5 I think, he was presented by the BBC as the "punk chef" and his programmes had a lot of inter-action with the "ordinary" punter.  As time has gone on (and Jamie Oliver came on the screen - and there is a true cunt) I think he is seen more as the "cook's" Cook - ie for those who really do enjoy the creative side of cooking as much as eating.

With that has come this slick style and oh so clearly enunciated accent (which I don't recognise) that clearly winds some people (including me) up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm his brother, I am proud of his achievements, jealous of his vast quantities of cash, 7 bedroomed house, swimming pool etc, but I still think he can be a grade A twat.  Then again, he probably thinks highly of me too!

burpmitosis

I like Gary Rhodes, he's a very calming cook, I just don't think I could ever make anything he does, it looks too delicate.  I like cookery programmes in the same way I like gardening ones - they are very soothing.  Jamie Oliver is too into NYPD camera action to be calming though.

On thread:  Some people are suggesting that the Blackburn thing is an almighty great publicity stunt.  Seeing as Cliff is in town as well and they're probably old mates, the whole thing was probably planned between them over a pint at the weekend and agreed to by the "suits" on monday morning, and voila, lots of nice free column inches.  Clever.

Lady Beany

*shouts from hole*
I just think it was funny that I picked on Rhodes... of ALL people.  No offence meant again Hornet. Fancy a sh... no, lets leave it there eh?

burpmitosis

Just put down the shovel, Lady...

Hornet

Quote from: "Lady Beany"*shouts from hole*
I just think it was funny that I picked on Rhodes... of ALL people.  No offence meant again Hornet. Fancy a sh... no, lets leave it there eh?

say again?

Lt Plonker

I've just been listening to Classic Gold, and they want people to ring in to vote for their Top 50 Sir Cliffy songs for Tony's show tomorrow morning. Brilliant. :)

Ambient Sheep

A PR man (Mark Borkowski) writing in The Guardian confirms that it was a scam.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,7550,1247554,00.html
(oh bugger, needs a registration, but anyhow it's not that interesting an article)

Alberon

He doesn't actually say he knows it was a PR scam, but now he's suggested it was it seems so obvious now.

Tony Blackburn used me. I feel so dirty.

butnut

I'm Sure I've met someone who either was, or knew someone who was, related to Mr. G. Rhodes. I can't think who the fuck it was. I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone on here.

<goes off and bangs head against wall to get the memory working>

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Alberon"He doesn't actually say he knows it was a PR scam, but now he's suggested it was it seems so obvious now.
To be fair, burpmitosis also pointed it out a few posts back; I was just sort of trying to confirm his suspicions.

I know its not really the same but this reminds me of when that twat Jonathon King decided in his infinite wisdom that it would be acceptable to play the odd record on talk Radio-he was summarily sacked. By some wierd co-incidence i actually happened to be listening to Talk Radio for the first time when this incident happened- I think it was something classical he played- the arrogance of the man-he was justifying it like `I know its talk radio but radio is a medium for music..blah..blah`