Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Really wanky networking/ADSL/Router type question

Started by Cheese Arse H Christ, June 23, 2004, 10:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese Arse H Christ

My shitty ADSL  Modem Router just broke, and I need to link two PCs a few rooms apart so that they can both use the broadband connection.

Each PC has a network card in, and I thought that as there are only the two machines and one isn't used much, if I just linked them with a crossover CAT5 cable, between the Netwoek cards, then I could use Internet Connection Sharing and the ADSL modem that I have. The networking of the two PCs works but can I fuck get internet connection sharing to.  Windows XPs jamrag firewall is off on each PC, and zone alarm stands between mine and the modem., and trust the 2PC network implicitly.

I have set my PC to be IP 192.168.0.1 and t'other to be 192.168.0.2

the 'subnet mask' is 255.255.255.0 on both of the PCs

the preferred DNS server is set to be 192.168.0.1 on both and the default gateway on the 2nd PC is set to  be 192.168.0.1

anyone know why the fuck it won't do a single solitary sausage?

Failing that, can anyone say what the best router type thingy to get would be, one with two or more ethernet ports, or am I wrong in thinking that those single ethernet port and single USB port things are cack?

glitch

Out of interest, have you created identical user accounts on both PCs? That was a stumbling block when I tried networking 2 PCs in a similar fashion last year.

Regular John

Ummm... I don't know a whole lot about this kinda thing, I did manage to bluff my XBox and PS2 online without NTL getting a single extra penny though.

Do you definitely need a crossover cable? I had that problem with the aforementioned XBox.

As for routers, Linksys and Belkin are the better names to go for in my experience!

Tubgirl

does it work if you shut down zonealarm

yes, you need a crossover to link 2 devices

Lu tze

I
QuoteI have set my PC to be IP 192.168.0.1 and t'other to be 192.168.0.2

the preferred DNS server is set to be 192.168.0.1 on both and the default gateway on the 2nd PC is set to be 192.168.0.1

The pc connected to the modem should be set to the ip address appointed you by your isp. The other machine will be on the lan so can have it's ip address set  at what ever you want as long as you take into account the gateway machine. Your dns server is no longer the router, your ip address will be assigned by the server of you isp.

Lu tze

Ballsed up the post. Distractions. Must rush.

wannamakka

I had problems setting up a similar thing and zone alarm was the culprit every time.  Poxy thing kept blocking traffic even though i set up the trusted zone blah blah.

I ended up dumping za and putting norton on.

untitled_london

i'll second any all all complaints about zonealarm

i dont like nortoan much more, but i'd recomend it over za anyday o the week, rweason, it works, and doesn't do the kind of shit you have described.

better still grab yourself a copy of outpost pro 2.x.x.x.x-(314) from somewhere and use that.

ICS (internet connection sharing) is a doddle, it really is, it takes a few minutes to realsie the two PCs are connected, but once its done its there and its pretty reliable.

i'v no doubt you follwed the wizard correctly (kinda hard not to), and you have already said you have a x-over patch cable, therfore your problem is ZA. dump it.

blue jammer

Quote from: "Cheese Arse H Christ"I have set my PC to be IP 192.168.0.1 and t'other to be 192.168.0.2

the preferred DNS server is set to be 192.168.0.1 on both and the default gateway on the 2nd PC is set to  be 192.168.0.1

anyone know why the fuck it won't do a single solitary sausage?

Shouldn't one of them at least be set to:

194.168.4.100 (first)  194.168.8.100 (secondary)

As they are the suggested NTL DNS server settings.

Give it a try, if it's that simple, you may kiss my face, if not, you may kiss my arse heh.

Cheese Arse H Christ

Thanks for the help, everyone, and soz to all that hate techy posts too,. i'll let you know what's happened tomorrow and meanwhile i'll practice my puckering up technique

Ambient Sheep

Disclaimer: I've never tried doing what you're doing, but I'll second what Blue Jammer said about DNS settings - surely you should have the NTL ones, not the ones of the first PC?

Timmay

I believe ICS may use some clever DNS forwarding techniques, which forwards DNS queries to the server that would have been specified (automatically) by DHCP on the ADSL connection on the first PC.

Try pinging an external IP address, rather than the FQDN (fully-qualified domain name) address (try Google at 216.239.59.104). If that works, it's probably DNS that's configured wrong. If it doesn't work, it isn't DNS that's causing your probs at this stage.

Cheese Arse H Christ