Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:46:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thunderbirds

Started by mikeyg27, June 24, 2004, 07:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

I have a very bad feeling that the Thunderbirds film is going to suck, and so ruin one of my most cherished childhood memories. They seem to have reduced the age of every character by ten years (and I know this because I got pedantic and checked the ages of characters on both the film website and in my official book of the original I still have). The main character is going to be Alan, who is going to be the kind of teenage brat who ruins a franchise (like Jake Lloyd in The Phantom  Menace, or Daniel Fucking Radcliffe in Harry Potter). They've messed around with who controls what craft. They've invented a son for Brains. The biggest fuck-up though appears to be Busted doing the theme song (whatever cunt thought of that deserves to have his face kicked in).

However, in its favour, they don't appear to have messed around with the craft design too much (except for Thunderbird 4, which now looks like a futuristic greenhouse), and casting Ben Kingsley as The Hood is worthy of a medal, and Anthony Edwards as Brains isn't too bad either.

Even so, the negatives seem to outweigh the positives. It seems to me like they're ripping off Spy Kids, which is a shame because I think making a good Thunderbirds film could be done.

Regular John

Fingers crossed it does really shit and they don't even think about fucking up Captain Scarlet, beyond the awful looking CGI cartoon series that keeps getting put off at least.

Frinky

Gagh, the film *is* going to suck, it's been turned into one of the world's worst boys-own films, aimed at 6 year olds. Given people used to get shot at, and, occasionally, die, in the original, they could have at least given it a more adult theme... it would probably do better. They have the nostalgia thing to cash in on, plus there's the fact that you have an action film with big machines and DANGER and stuff, it really couldn't go wrong.

But no.... they've turned it into... that. The usage of Song 2 on the trailers was pretty much enough for me!

Quote from: "mikeyg27"However, in its favour, they don't appear to have messed around with the craft design too much

You jest? :)

What have they done to TB2, one of the best things ever?

The original designs, as I was looking at them the other day, were actually fantastic. A lot of the styling details, such as the fins, signage, are utterly 60's, but the overall shapes and designs really do circumvent dating. It might well be the retro-cool thing that we're all going through again, but really, the styling really didn't need changing. As a kid, I was obsessed with TB2, it was the most outrageously stupid and great thing, it was BIG and GREEN and it did all sorts of cool shit. The new design seems to have gotten lost somewhere and looks like a big green shit. Gagh.

Out of interest, when you say childhood, do you refer to when it first came out? It's been big thrice, as I know... the original time, the 90's revival, and the largely apathetic 2000s. When I was a kid I found my dads old Thunderbird toys and thats where it started, then I saw picture postcards from the series and thought it was the most amazing thing ever... then the repeats finally aired and I could watch it all in action! Mesmerized, I was.

Of course, it seems like utter tosh to me now... but the film had huge potential.

sidecar_jon

i saw the trailer on the net somwhere....and even that cant make it look good. its been mercilesly camped up. Heathens a nice positive, refreshing show it was...exiteing and about saveing life ... remeber the other things of the time?..cowboys slaughtering Injuns with inexaustable bullets or guys with coal skuttles ontheir head hack lumps off each other in the "Flashing blade"

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Frinky"When I was a kid I found my dads old Thunderbird toys and thats where it started...
Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!!!!!!

<breaks down sobbing>

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Frinky"When I was a kid I found my dads old Thunderbird toys and thats where it started...
Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!!!!!!

<breaks down sobbing>

Yes...That hurt, you swine!!!

mikeyg27

QuoteOut of interest, when you say childhood, do you refer to when it first came out? It's been big thrice, as I know... the original time, the 90's revival, and the largely apathetic 2000s

I am a child of the 90s revival. This also means I have fond memories of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, which has also been fucked up for the kids of today

Lady Beany

I was subjected to the rehashed Thunderbirds theme tune for this film.  Produced by none other than those kerazzeeee rockers, Busted.

I had my own inklings that the film wa going to be shit in the first place, but Busted have added insult to injury.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Gazeuse"Yes...That hurt, you swine!!!
And you didn't share a beer or ten with him last Saturday!

<whimper>

TotalNightmare

Well, when working on Shaun of the Dead a lot of the crew had worked on Thunderbirds and had gone to great pains to say how awful the experience was. Details are sketchy, but the point is they didn't feel that the film was being made... at all stages... right.

I, personally, don't feel that they fucked around to badly with the designs of the crafts themselves, but then, i don't care about the show as much as others.
The trailer seems to pitch the trailer at the 'rock 'em, sock 'em' kids movies that tend to bright, punchy but ultimately as hollow as a cheap easter egg.

Anyway... fuck em...

this could be what you are all looking for...

http://chud.com/news/june04/june17team.php3

Report back here...

butnut

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"http://chud.com/news/june04/june17team.php3

Report back here...

Ooh, that sounds good. A bit like Adam and Joe -  the movie!