Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most interesting (and successful) use of Google

Started by Marcus Or Relius, June 26, 2004, 05:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Or Relius

I recall a story a while back on the BBC's website about heart problems, prompted by Tony Blair's ticker trouble. Some reporter was going on about his experience, and explained how he woke up once with pains in his chest, so he flicked on the computer and put "heart attack symptoms" into Google. I thought it was a magnificent sign of the times, that when someone thinks they might be having a heart-attack, they turn to Google rather than a doctor.

At work the other day, we had in a passport for a client (we work in the exciting world of finance, and Money Laundering Regulations mean people buying or selling investments need to provide all sorts of ID to prove who they are). The passport bore a photo of a rather glamorous woman who looked very vaguely familiar. She had an unusual name too, I think it was African or summat.

So, naturally, I shoved the name into Google and the first result was the homepage of the woman in question - same name and same face. She had a homepage 'cos she used to be one of the Gladiators. She looked familiar 'cos I inexplicably watched that shite at Uni. For the irony of it all, naturally.

Awwoooga!

Another time, I stuck my own name into Google and it came up with a hate page. The page in question ranted and raved about 'me', pouring scorn and withering disgust about all sorts of allegations of corruption and womanizing. It turned out my namesake was some sort of small-time Australian politician who had pissed lots of people off. Ho ho.

What's your most interesting use of Google?

Big Jack McBastard

I used Google to find the treasure of the Aztecs, thing is it turned out to be a Kinder Suprise.

Big Jack McBastard

I do remember looking down the shirt of the girl I fancied in college while teaching her how to use Google correctly so I suppose thats my real one.

Marty McFly

nice!

i think a lot of health info on google, you have to take with a pinch of salt. and people can come to really wrong conclusions about their health. if you think you really DO have a problem, see your doctor. google- it's a hypochondriac's bible.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I successfully used Google to fabricate my entire Geography coursework.

(Not really though...of course)

*Searches for Verbwhore named AQA Examiner*

Ambient Sheep

Tracking down my Dad's long-lost brother who he hadn't seen since the early 50s (if not the 40s) and now lives in New York.

Pinball

Google is an indefinable encyclopedia of information. As such, I can't define a "most interesting" use. What's your most interesting breath? Or heart beat??

burpmitosis

My mate used google to find out that one of my neighbours spells his name in a way I wasn't aware of previously.
And a while ago I used google to find out that one of my other neighbours is into something very odd, and has happily had his photo and full name mentioned on some american site about it.  But I'm too scared of being identified to say what it is, thus rending this story dull as ARSE.

Marcus Or Relius

Quote from: "Pinball"Google is an indefinable encyclopedia of information. As such, I can't define a "most interesting" use. What's your most interesting breath? Or heart beat??

Google isn't an encyclopedia, and comparing it's use to breathing seems somewhat odd given that there are plenty of motives for searching for something on the 'net (whacky conspiracy theories, finding lost relatives, bomb-making instructions, finding out if you're having a heart-attack, news, AV tools, etc) but only one motive for breathing (getting more yummy oxygen.)

Not having a go or nuthin', just not sure what you're on about.

Pinball

I just meant that's it's such a broad resource as to be, arguably, indefinable.

Mister Six

But we're not supposed to be defining Google, just giving interesting anecdotes about its use.

For fuck's sakes.

Pinball

Quote from: "Mister Six"But we're not supposed to be defining Google, just giving interesting anecdotes about its use.

For fuck's sakes.
It's "for fuck's sake", for fuck's sake ;-)

Marcus Or Relius

I'd define Google as a 'search engine'. Hopefully this will catch on.

Pinball

Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"I'd define Google as a 'search engine'. Hopefully this will catch on.
That's brilliant! Quick, write a business plan and get yourself down to HSBC. There could be money in that idea. Let's just hope we're not too late.

Marcus Or Relius

Dunno what you're getting sarcastic about, you didn't even know Google was a search engine earlier. What was it? "Indefinable." Good job I'm here to spread such wonderful snippets of knowledge to the uninformed.

Cheese Arse H Christ

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I successfully used Google to fabricate my entire Geography coursework.

(Not really though...of course)

*Searches for Verbwhore named AQA Examiner*

No need to search, I'm in regular contact with them and Edexcel, I'll pass it on

Cheese Arse H Christ

Quotea while ago I used google to find out that one of my other neighbours is into something very odd, and has happily had his photo and full name mentioned on some american site about it. But I'm too scared of being identified to say what it is

PM me the link and i'll post it

Lt Plonker

Possibly when I first searched for some old games I used to want to play, and found out about Abandonware. I could download and play them all - Laura Bow, Les Manley, Wonderland, Flight of the Amazon King and the such.

That's it. Sorry.

Marcus Or Relius

Speaking of old games, I finally got round to searching out  - via Google of course -a NES Emulator yesterday, then nabbed a torrent of 600+ Roms.

Megamantastic!

Crazy Penis

Similar to that one, Marcus, I was googling for free games quite a while ago now and found MAME. I then found some of the ROMs for the arcade games and now have all the ones I used to play as a kid. Playing them again sure beats learning how to make an Atom Bomb.

You should google for `ZSNES` emulator then go to www.cherryroms.com
Thousands of SNES ROMS

Marty McFly

one good thing you can do on google is search for

"[band name]" "parent directory" mp3

it will usually find you some free mp3s.

Marcus Or Relius

Quote from: "Marty McFly"one good thing you can do on google is search for

"[band name]" "parent directory" mp3

it will usually find you some free mp3s.

Bloody hell, that works, for some bands at least. Brilliant. : )