Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TECHY - Digital Video Camera problems...

Started by peterperv, June 27, 2004, 09:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterperv

I have a question.

I've recently bought a Canon MV630i and can't get the bastard thing to work properly.

Originally I had all sorts of problems regarding a firewire card (couldn't get any video data transferred from camera to computer) but I've got all that sorted now.

Now the problem is when it comes down to putting videos BACK from the computer to the camera. I've edited the videos in Vegas 4.0 but for some reason when I try saving to tape it can't initialise the camera. With Pinnacle Studio the same thing happens. I think I've got all the right leads and suchlike, but I'm a right novice when it comes to all this stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta lots and lots and stuff.

JJJJH

Oh noooooooo, sounds like a common, but fucking frustrating problem. Have you definitely got both DV-in and out? Out lets you export to your 'puter, in lets you do the reverse obviously. They don't always make this obvious when you're buying, and you'd think that In/Out would be fucking standard, wouldn't you?

Failing this, is your camera in the correct mode when you try and export? Can't think what else it could be off the top of my head.

fanny splendid

Isn't it to do with copyright? From device to camcorder transfers might encourage illegal copying?  I saved quite a bit on my camcorder by specifying only  DV out.

JJJJH

Could be. Apparently all DV cameras actually have both In and Out though, and they simply lock off the extra In feature for the cheaper Out only models, but the firmware's exactly identical in both.

peterperv

...The manual says that it's a DV in/out terminal - it's a proper DV cable - my firewire card might be the only concern I can think of - it's just when copying ONTO the DV tape my pooter can't recognise the camera.

It's actually my missus'. I don't deal with images. Sound's more my game. Video's too fucking complicated. And Canon are shite, in my opinion.

fanny splendid

Ah, that's an interesting fact. I subsequently found this article detailing how to 'turn on' the DV in feature, but alas only on a couple of brands of Sony cameras. It's worth further investigation, though.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the link. Which is here

peterperv

...which article, sorry?

EDIT: Thank you!

fanny splendid

peterperv

The bastard thing's still not working...

and Canon's helpdesk only works office hours!