Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad 'ol Saddam

Started by waxed by nature, July 02, 2004, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waxed by nature

For all the tyrants dispicable actions over the last 3 decades, didn't he look like a sad old man who sits outside your nearest WH Smiths asking for your loose change.

The eyes gave away a man who knows his days are quite possibly numbered and despite whatever wind and bluster he conjures he knows that he will never ever be a free man again ( or indeed a live one ).

Still the cunt looked sad and be-wildered.

Anyone else and i'd want to pat him on the swede and say everything's gonna be alright..

Let justice prevail !!!!!

Kingboy_D

Its a marker of how fucked up a situation we're really in when people come to have sympathy for a monster like Saddam Hussein.

Saddam said yesterday "this is all theatre", and he's hit the nail on the head. His court appearance was scheduled to coincide with American breakfast television. He may be a murdering bastard, but he's not stupid.

Pinball

It is a theatre - a murderous theatre for a murderer. Neither the process nor the person are in the right. This trial should be happening at the Hague, not in a kangaroo court.

gazzyk1ns

The whole thing is a bit baffling to me, how on earth do you "try" someone like this, i.e. how do you judge the severity of his crimes and allocate a punishment accordingly?

It surely all comes down to whether Iraq permits the death penalty or not? If they do then he must face it, people will have died for far less (understatement of the year...). He is an Iraqi, he committed his crimes in Iraq, he's being tried in Iraq, the death penalty is in place there, there's no doubt of his guilt... why should he not face the death penalty?

EDIT: Urm that was kind of in the wrong thread, wasn't it... ah well, I'll leave it, at least it's a post about the right person! Apologies to the thread-starter.

Quote from: "Kingboy_D"Its a marker of how fucked up a situation we're really in when people come to have sympathy for a monster like Saddam Hussein.

Saddam said yesterday "this is all theatre", and he's hit the nail on the head. He may be a murdering bastard, but he's not stupid.

Yeah I quite agree.  Regardless of his past, he has come across as quite a proud and intelligent man (intelligence may be questioned if he is crazy).
I saw those pictures on the News; he conveyed himself so marvellously well, with great composure and body-language. He actually spoke a lot of sense at times.
Iraq and Saddam Hussein may have instigated a lot of "atrocities" over the decades, but all the other Governments in this World are equally not blemish-free in their track records, especially the US Governments of the present & past.
All Governments in one way or another are murders and thieves no matter how "democratic" or "civilised" we think they are.

It's like the BBC news the other day gave bullet points (yes.. apt) of all the terrible things Iraq have done in the past... it naturally flings the barbarianism of Iraq into the forefront.  We are saturated with all the "terrible things Iraq has done - look" handily removing our attention away from the bloody and underhand history of our perfect  Western Governments who promote democratic peace and goodwill among all men.
It doesn't make any less terrible the things Iraq has done, but it's all just smacks of hypocriticality (is that a word??!) when you unfairly tip the balance through Media propaganda and focus.

A couple of decades ago, the likes of Saddam Hussein were seen shaking hands with US presidents in the White House.
..one minute they're our allies, next they are on the "Axis of Evil" hitlist.  I'm getting mixed messages here.
Without getting all Bill Hicks on this one, so-called civilised/democratic Governments like the United States, France and the UK were the very ones who trained up the Iraqis and the rest of the terrorists around the globe.  They installed the dictators and their cabinets (who fitted the MFI ones I'm not sure of) in the first place.  They kitted them out with weapons and missiles.  Now it's bizarrely come full-circle where the military are now buying back the weapons to stop the Iraqis using them.  and they're now trying the same dictator who was put into power by them.  you can't script this shit.

If you dress up your politics with smart suits and semantics of "war", "peace", "freedom" and "democracy" it makes it all so much valid and courageous.

After his performance in the dock, I'm almost on the side of Hussein's over George W.