Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Abbey Road 50th

Started by biggytitbo, August 11, 2019, 12:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

that one is admittedly total shite

wosl

I get a lot out of both of those, especially It's All Too Much; a lovely din, that (Only A Northern Song is even better).  Of George's later Beatle tracks, Piggies, Blue Jay Way (ha, NJU got in and took a pop at it as I was about to post) and the trifle For You Blue are the ones I tend to skip.

NJ Uncut

I don't mind Piggies musically, heavy-handed as it is; I always skip Within You Without Yer and aye, For You Blue reeks

Mind, if you take George and Ringo's respective best... you end up with mismatched songs like Something vs Yellow Submarine. Vaguely amusing juxtaposing those two songs (the sheer fucking breadth this band had)

wosl

Yellow Submarine often seems to take a pounding, but as Ballad Of BB says upthread there's plenty going on in it (the sound effects, the brass insert, there's a lovely bit of counterpoint singing on the chorus), and the whole thing is sung with real enthusiasm.  The Beatles put a decent shift in, making it, and I don't think they necessarily considered it a knock-off track for kids.

NJ Uncut

Yellow Submarine is boss. Imaginative, catchy, funny, good

To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg: All music is for kids if the kids have ears!

kalowski

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 03, 2019, 06:32:58 PM
George's worst in the Beatles is worse than Ringo's worst

"Long Long Long," "It's All Too Much..."
Are two cracking songs, even if Long Long Long rips off Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on October 02, 2019, 11:43:41 PM
Oh

Well then it is too on the nose and obvious I'm afraid

But it fooled you, didn't it?

I'd post that image of Limmy's "He got you there" bloke if I could be bothered, but I can't be bothered as I'm under heavy flu-induced sedation.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: kalowski on October 03, 2019, 07:04:15 PM
Are two cracking songs, even if Long Long Long rips off Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.

I suppose Dylan owed them  one for his liift of Norwegian Wood on 4th Time Around.

Blue Jay Way, against some stiff opposition is George's worst song.  I like It's All Too Much, Savoy Truffle, Long, Long, Long; If I Needed Someone, and The Inner Light.  Taxman and his Abbey Road songs are great and the rest, I'lll happily never hear again.

I don't mind Yellow Submarine but I think Octopus's Garden's pretty good.  George's Country and Western guitar, with the Leslie and the production sheen is great.  Ringo's voice isn't great, but, like everything The Beatles did, even the crap, it had character.  And like Jules' justification for not eating dogs in Pulp Fiction, character goes a long way.  Ringo always does aimiable well but on Octopus's Garden he sounds quite excited.  Probably to have written a song that was better than Don't Pass Me By, which is just shit.

kalowski

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on October 03, 2019, 08:26:42 PM
I suppose Dylan owed them  one for his liift of Norwegian Wood on 4th Time Around.
Fair point. And Lennon copied Dylan with "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" but The Beatles probably inspired Dylan to go electric.

Fuck, can you imagine a world without Dylan or The Beatles?

Replies From View

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 03, 2019, 05:15:11 PM
Young cunts have no business business judging middle aged man music and we have no business judging theirs.

We do because it is so shit.  They should like fewer shit things and more good things, imo.

Replies From View

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 03, 2019, 06:52:35 PM
Mind, if you take George and Ringo's respective best... you end up with mismatched songs like Something vs Yellow Submarine. Vaguely amusing juxtaposing those two songs (the sheer fucking breadth this band had)

Ringo only sang on Yellow Submarine; he didn't write it.  If I recall correctly he only had a hand in writing Don't Pass Me By and Octopus' Garden.

Replies From View

Quote from: wosl on October 03, 2019, 06:59:33 PM
Yellow Submarine often seems to take a pounding, but as Ballad Of BB says upthread there's plenty going on in it (the sound effects, the brass insert, there's a lovely bit of counterpoint singing on the chorus), and the whole thing is sung with real enthusiasm.  The Beatles put a decent shift in, making it, and I don't think they necessarily considered it a knock-off track for kids.

I agree.  And it sits firmly in the 'charming' category I think, rather than 'cloying'.  It's an important differentiation.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 03, 2019, 08:18:15 PM
But it fooled you, didn't it?

I'd post that image of Limmy's "He got you there" bloke if I could be bothered, but I can't be bothered as I'm under heavy flu-induced sedation.

I feel a bit cheated here because it was presented to me within the context of this thread, not wherever it existed initially.

If I'd read it on the page of wherever it originally sat, I bet I'd have perceived it as a shit parody as nature intended.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on October 03, 2019, 10:12:49 PM
Ringo only sang on Yellow Submarine; he didn't write it.  If I recall correctly he only had a hand in writing Don't Pass Me By and Octopus' Garden.

I think he's credited on 'What Goes On?' and 'Flying' too, but not sure how much input he had on either.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 03, 2019, 10:49:48 PM
I think he's credited on 'What Goes On?' and 'Flying' too, but not sure how much input he had on either.

Probably did the drumming or something.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ringo was the sole author of Don't Pass Me By and Octopus's Garden. George helped him out with the arrangement of the latter, but it's a Ringo composition.

grassbath

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 03, 2019, 09:57:29 AM
I don't think there's a great deal I'd change about 'white', but I'd've binned 'rocky raccoon' & 'obla-di' definitely, & perhaps replaced them with 'not guilty'. as for 'abbey road', similarly it's paul's weaker muckabouts that would go; by the time 'pepper' was finished, he'd put the songwriting in second place behind being an arranger/musical director.

Eh?! His rate of weaker muckabouts certainly increased, but still - Penny Lane, Lady Madonna, Back in the USSR, Hey Jude, Let it Be, Blackbird, Junk, Two of Us, Golden Slumbers, Oh! Darling - these are, like, songs.

Chalk me up as another one who loves Yellow Submarine - rather than the children's trifle many write it off as, it feels like a band song, with everyone on board, being creative and enjoying it. After Tomorrow Never Knows, it captures their new-found excitement experimenting in the studio most out of the tracks on Revolver.

massive bereavement

I like George's sitar songs, there should have been a lot more sitar, put it on every track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNEXbVfLq50

NJ Uncut

Gotta bend the rules a bit for Ringo as he didn't write as much as George

His worst though, is...?

And is it worse than Blue Jay Way?

Also, no Yellow Submarine = no amazing animated flick!

Ringo wrote Don't Pass Me By in 1962.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: grassbath on October 04, 2019, 07:28:34 AM
Eh?! His rate of weaker muckabouts certainly increased, but still - Penny Lane, Lady Madonna, Back in the USSR, Hey Jude, Let it Be, Blackbird, Junk, Two of Us, Golden Slumbers, Oh! Darling - these are, like, songs.

yeah, but that's what I mean. he was writing plenty of good songs too- immensely prolific- so why did we have to have "rocky raccoon"?

wosl

They should've pulled Rocky Raccoon and Piggies and a handful of other dribs and drabs from White, in order to accommodate an extended, side-filling Revolution 9 (with McCartney and Ringo roped in).  That's what they ought to have been pushing for, a full twenty-odd minute avant sound collage; a proper dose.

wosl

phantom_power

I know this is a trad. arr. view but The White Album is perfect in its rambling shambolic way and any talk of removing "weaker" songs misses the beauty of it.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: phantom_power on October 04, 2019, 07:52:49 PM
I know this is a trad. arr. view but The White Album is perfect in its rambling shambolic way and any talk of removing "weaker" songs misses the beauty of it.

If anything, it should have been a triple.

Quote from: wosl on October 04, 2019, 07:08:21 PM
They should've pulled Rocky Raccoon and Piggies and a handful of other dribs and drabs from White, in order to accommodate an extended, side-filling Revolution 9 (with McCartney and Ringo roped in).  That's what they ought to have been pushing for, a full twenty-odd minute avant sound collage; a proper dose.

The original take of 'Revolution', which was eventually split into what became 'Revolution 1' and 'Revolution 9', was already on that path and would have worked as a full side, I agree. Macca could have added some 'Carnival of Light' snippets. A triple album is also possible if you add the 1968 'A' and 'B' sides plus 'Hey Bulldog', 'It's All Too Much' and the Esher demos that didn't get recorded until 1969.

MiddleRabbit

A Doll's House would have been a great title for The White Album (yeah, alright).  Why The Fabs thought they needed to distinguish themselves from fucking Family, for fuck's sake, is beyond me.  Fuck that warbling beard boy's jibber-jabber.