Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 23-24 Part 2: The VAR Apocalypse

Started by Wonderful Butternut, November 08, 2023, 09:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on November 09, 2023, 09:21:36 AMLook, I don't know about any of this red card bollocks, it's just very funny when Man U lose

Its not the 00s anymore. The club is an irrelevance these days. A Norwich

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 09, 2023, 10:19:37 AMIts not the 00s anymore. The club is an irrelevance these days. A Norwich

I find that pretty amusing personally

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 09, 2023, 10:18:34 AMIntent is important. Imagine Rashford is bombing along, a small child throws an ice cream on the pitch and Rashford slips, colliding heavily with a player and killing him. Red card?

Yes, according to Greggles.

Intent isn't mentioned when it comes to serious foul play. Words like dangerous (like a raised boot) and reckless (like not looking where that raised boot is going) are, but not intent.

Shame that the laws of football aren't easily found online...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2023, 11:21:53 AMIntent isn't mentioned when it comes to serious foul play. Words like dangerous (like a raised boot) and reckless (like not looking where that raised boot is going) are, but not intent.

Shame that the laws of football aren't easily found online...

Yes. I guess a violent action not intended to harm would count. See racquet smashing or hammering a ball wildly into the crowd in tennis.

DrGreggles

Not sure what you're arguing about.

You either weren't previously aware of the law (you're welcome!), or you don't like that it was correctly applied.

I don't know the rules of tennis in depth but, if I ever wish to learn*, I'll give you a shout.

*I won't

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2023, 11:38:51 AMNot sure what you're arguing about.

You either weren't previously aware of the law (you're welcome!), or you don't like that it was correctly applied.

I don't know the rules of tennis in depth but, if I ever wish to learn*, I'll give you a shout.

*I won't

I wasn't arguing. I was agreeing with you.

DrGreggles

El Unicornio, mang

Looks like Liverpool's going to lose

Also, glad we're on a new thread now cos I've had that Rolling Stones song stuck in my head for the past six months because of the previous one.

Kankurette

Kankurette

Ajax's misery continues. Happy for Brighton, but Ajax really are in the toilet.

The Culture Bunker

I did see a Liverpool player do the Rashford-esque stamp on a players ankle and... not get sent off. Just nice to know inconsistent VAR is a constant, I suppose.

Kankurette

Speaking of which...Liverpool got VAR'd. Klopp rage incoming.

bgmnts

Probably was handball? Unsure of the rule at all.

Liverpool were shiiiiit anyway.

Chollis

What happened to phases of play? We didn't deserve the draw anyway, VAR is just bollocks

Herbert Ashe

Ajax so useless that they're the only team we've kept a clean sheet against all season, and it's happened twice now.

Drop them into the championship right now and they'd probably be 14th or something.

BlodwynPig

Thursday

VAR is shit, but at the same time it's got to the point where every single use of it is a HUGE CONTROVERSY! VAR IS OUT OF CONTROL!!! Even when it makes a correct decision.

And if it's not used to change a decision then it's "WHY DON'T THEY USE VAR??? WHAT IS GOING ON? WHAT ARE THEY DOING?" Damned either way at this point.

Psybro

I remember the pundits all baying for VAR because they were sick of talking about refereeing, which was clearly untrue in the first place.

gabrielconroy

I hope at least when they inevitably implement some major changes to VAR they call it VAR2, because it sounds a bit like "fart"

mr. logic

As somebody who grew up during the nineties obsessed with football, I have two (among many more, of course) prominent memories: Ajax winning the European Cup in 1995 (the first final of that competition I ever watched), and Brighton drawing with Hereford to stay in the entire league in 1997. (They had a fans' day or something didn't they? I was a bit morbidly  fascinated by their entire plight.) With that said, tonight's result was a bit of a mindfuck

shoulders

BlodwynPig

DrGreggles

Last weekend I read an article called something like "Why Tottenham Aren't 'Spursy' Anymore".

[insert 'that aged well' image]