Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Political podcasts [split topic]

Started by idunnosomename, March 01, 2024, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 22, 2024, 05:16:53 PMI've been scrolling through my feed today, and remembering the glory days of You're Wrong About, whose series on the Washington sniper was one of the best things I've heard.

Post-Michael YWA and post-YWA Michael are less than the sum of their parts.

If Books Could Kill is pretty decent.  Maintenance Phase seems to be on a long break but it's YWA adjacent if a bit more specific.  Have enjoyed both. 

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 22, 2024, 05:43:57 PMIf Books Could Kill is pretty decent.  Maintenance Phase seems to be on a long break but it's YWA adjacent if a bit more specific.  Have enjoyed both. 

I like the pairing on IBCK, but there have been a couple of books I'm familiar with that have come off as hatchet jobs rather than giving a fair summary, which makes me question their takes on books I'm not familiar with.

Decoding the Gurus is a similar format where the focus is going on the attack, but they have longer episodes and do a decent job of playing long sections of their subjects and trying to give the positives as well as the negatives.

FeederFan500

I didn't really get on with IBCK either, I started with ones where I'd already read the book but I agree with the 'hatchet job' comment above.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Behind the Bastards is always interesting, although some of their guests are annoying.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 22, 2024, 06:01:16 PMI like the pairing on IBCK, but there have been a couple of books I'm familiar with that have come off as hatchet jobs rather than giving a fair summary, which makes me question their takes on books I'm not familiar with.

Decoding the Gurus is a similar format where the focus is going on the attack, but they have longer episodes and do a decent job of playing long sections of their subjects and trying to give the positives as well as the negatives.

which ones?  out of curiosity

Memorex MP3

Behind the Bastards is one of those podcasts where if you bulk download episodes you will get to hear the same pair of 30 second adverts twice per episode across the entire batch.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 23, 2024, 02:15:38 PMwhich ones?  out of curiosity

Population Bomb was the main one where it felt like they completely misrepresented the book - like they didn't like his conclusions, and ignored his reasoning.

I think their Outliers and Freakonomics takes were harsher than necessary, but they did make good points and they were more valid subjects as massive airport books.