Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:42:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Alexei Sayle Podcast

Started by Endicott, December 01, 2020, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Enjoyable dig at Herring near the beginning from Lee in this

EOLAN

Loving anytime Lee discusses old pre WW1 comedians. Seems to have a different anecdote for each podcast lately.

McFlymo

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 24, 2021, 09:12:59 PM

Came here to post this!

Quote from: EOLAN on February 24, 2021, 09:46:16 PM
Loving anytime Lee discusses old pre WW1 comedians. Seems to have a different anecdote for each podcast lately.

Have just been looking into Fred Barnes. Fascinating stuff.

beanheadmcginty

Now I've finished it I must say this was an absolute delight to listen to from start to finish.

petril

Quote from: EOLAN on February 24, 2021, 09:46:16 PM

I like the juxtaposition of what both he and Herring are doing now. a sort of "this is Lee Evans... and this is Norman Wisdom on acid" thing

Mobbd

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 24, 2021, 09:12:59 PM

It was a most enjoyable dig! (Albeit a little unfair. I think Herring
Spoiler alert
does his research,
[close]
though understandably probably not for Stew.)

What a fab pod though, eh? I've been enjoying this self-generated promotional junket of Stew's. I daresay there are loads of other appearances I've missed and that they will pop up in my various feedcatchers further down the line, probably years from now. Good stuff.

And since King Rocker has already been broadcast, he was far more free to talk to Alexei about other things AND to reflect on the film's success and
Spoiler alert
his appearances on various pods
[close]

That he and Alexei clearly hold each other in high regard helped too. Though it became a bit lovey towards the middle, Stew
Spoiler alert
remembered the lesson of critical Dr Buckles and gave Alexei a bit of shit.
[close]
And it was very fucking funny.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, that was really enjoyable. Two great comedians with mutual respect just shooting the breeze and being funny.

As Mobbd says, it's a fab podcast in general. Alexei is clearly relishing the opportunity to speak his big sharp Marxist mind about politics and comedy. Also, at one point during a previous episode he mentioned that he'd be up for devoting an entire episode to listener's questions about The Young Ones - that should be fascinating. And I just love the fact that he's still so politically engaged and angry; I find that strangely comforting. He still cares.

Good episode - very enjoyable to hear Stew making Alexei crack up like that.

gib

i'm no doubt being stupid but could somebody please remind me how to just download an episode as an mp3?

I remember that incident with the snake at the British Comedy Awards. Like Stew, I can't actually remember who brought it out on stage or why, but it really was fucking horrible - a terrified creature being exploited for the whooping amusement of a room full of inebriated media twats.

olliebean

Quote from: gib on February 25, 2021, 07:06:17 PM
i'm no doubt being stupid but could somebody please remind me how to just download an episode as an mp3?

This page has download links in the 3-dot menus for each episode: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-alexei-sayle-podcast-the-alexei-sayle-qSG4I9gcJjA/

Mobbd

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2021, 07:19:28 PM
I remember that incident with the snake at the British Comedy Awards. Like Stew, I can't actually remember who brought it out on stage or why, but it really was fucking horrible - a terrified creature being exploited for the whooping amusement of a room full of inebriated media twats.

Hiya Ballad. I didn't remember the snake myself but do you think it was this moment from 2006? It was someone from I'm a Celebrity by the looks of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Uo5DLLrQg

pigamus

Interesting what he said about Owen Jones - didn't sound like he was too impressed.

Quote from: Mobbd on February 25, 2021, 08:44:49 PM
Hiya Ballad. I didn't remember the snake myself but do you think it was this moment from 2006? It was someone from I'm a Celebrity by the looks of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Uo5DLLrQg

That's it, yes. Blatant animal cruelty.

Quote from: pigamus on February 25, 2021, 09:10:12 PM
Interesting what he said about Owen Jones - didn't sound like he was too impressed.

Sayle suggested that Jones might not put that episode out, but I'd love to hear it.

pigamus

Mobbd

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2021, 09:28:06 PM
Sayle suggested that Jones might not put that episode out, but I'd love to hear it.

Same here.

Sayle described the Guardian as a "stinking establishment organ" in one (or possibly two) of the early episodes of his podcast. I suspect (though who knows?) that was at the core of the problem. Owen can be very defensive about the G, with "you'll miss it when it's gone" type lines.

He's no radical either; I remember him disagreeing with Russell Brand about revolution (not that I think Brand was right, just that Owen didn't seem moved by the concept at all). He was pro-Corbyn, of course, but I suspect he'd be pro-bucket-on-a-stick if it was the leader of the Labour party, which of course he is now!

EOLAN

It is about 18 minutes into the Jones interview that the debate gets heated. Sayle being quite forthright and direct. Jones trying to skirt around the issue. Spending a lot of time to say little.

Mobbd

Quote from: EOLAN on February 25, 2021, 11:26:29 PM
It is about 18 minutes into the Jones interview that the debate gets heated. Sayle being quite forthright and direct. Jones trying to skirt around the issue. Spending a lot of time to say little.

Heh. I'm 5 mins in and Alexei is clearly already bored and irritated by Owen's Ollie Plimsolls presenting style.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Mobbd on February 26, 2021, 04:44:55 PM
Heh. I'm 5 mins in and Alexei is clearly already bored and irritated by Owen's Ollie Plimsolls presenting style.

Ouch. I don't mind Jones, but that comparison is sadly apt and will haunt me.

easytarget

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2021, 06:17:57 PM
Also, at one point during a previous episode he mentioned that he'd be up for devoting an entire episode to listener's questions about The Young Ones - that should be fascinating.

He also mentioned the possibility of an episode focused on the Golden Girls spin-off "The Golden Palace". There's loads of stories from comics on podcasts about sitcoms but I'd love to hear this.

The S Lee one was magnificent.

imitationleather

Ferris

I didn't know this was a thing and am very excited to listen to it.

Had a flashback to being about 7 and watching Hullo John Got a New Motor (must have snuck down and watched telly after dark?) and sort of being amazed by the mad/funny/silliness of it all. I realize now it is still as anarchic and great as I thought it was back then and was searching to see what Sayle was up to now.

A podcast fan (and an early S Lee adopter) means I'm right on fucking board for this project. Lovely job.

pigamus

Nae bother

Golden Palace story might be a bit depressing considering Estelle Getty pretty much had dementia by that stage

It's great. "Come on, justify the Labour Party to me!"

frajer

Fuck, loved that.

One of the very few silver linings of the pandemic is that it's brought Alexei Sayle firmly into the podding and interview world. We clearly need his passionate and articulate fury more than ever.

Highlight: Owen Jones' line-toeing about how the Labour Party must have a "two-pronged approach" of staying true to the working class while also building parliamentary pressure, Sayle taking a second to mull that and then deadpanning: "And how's that working out for you?"

Consignia

Was a really great podcast, really enjoyed it.

I missed the Herring dig, though. Where was it?