Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers)

Started by ozziechef, March 18, 2010, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Xander on July 12, 2010, 10:19:23 PM
The only disappointing thing about this concept is that it lends itself so well to a multiple-Doctor story that will now never happen.

The Doctor could see some of his Christmases past, present and future (either making Tennant the 'main' one, which they obviously won't do, or masking the future Doctor), OR The Doctor is the ghosts of past, present and future for someone else - timey wimey, wibbly wobbly Amelia perhaps?

It's obviously never going to happen, but Christmas, with no major series continuity, would be a lovely place to sprinkle some McGann and Tennant. Within the framework of this story even more so.
The Master, slowly dying on Tersurus, has a psychic visit from the ghost of Omega, who warns him about turning against from his fellow Time Lords and then informs him he will be visited by three psychic apparitions.... The pale, androgynous 5th Doctor shows him his past, studying hard on Gallifrey while his fellow students celebrate Otherstide and have great fun..... The fat and jolly 6th Doctor shows him the current Doctor and companions celebrating Christmas in grand style...  Then the 7th Doctor, dark and sepulchral shows him his future, rotting and cadaverous while the Doctor becomes President of Gallifrey....

or something.

ozziechef

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 12, 2010, 09:29:23 PM
Has this been posted yet? It's the Moffat family watching 'The Big Bang'. Sounds like the basis for a crap flash animation but no, it's actually a kid talking to his dad, who happens to be the showrunner of Doctor Who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1mIAMTE0c

Mrs Moffat has a vcery ample bosom. That is all.

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 12, 2010, 09:43:18 PM
Is that the one where his son asks him if he ever thought his scripts were too clever?

Yep. And he answers criticisms of over-cleverness by essentially saying "Fuck off, I wrote Blink."

Fair enough.

Fry

He's said (claimed) himself he doesn't visit the forums any more so it seems an odd choice. I can't see it being a distraction to him, though - he was always a very open member of the forums before he became showrunner and that didn't compromise his output. And I certainly don't think he'll see Twitter as an avenue for 'crowd sourcing' and be diminished as a result (see: Linehan). He's not the sort. I think he's got, well, let's call it 'a great deal of confidence' in his own ideas already. It's presumably just part of his continued wish to engage with fans, particularly young fans, of the show. For instance this year we had the Doctor Who bus tour instead of podcast commentaries; there were those 3D trailers; there's going to be a live tour. While the programme budget remains static, the promotion and related material budget seems to have soared - he's really getting Doctor Who out there, to entice new fans and excite the existing ones, and I'm sure this is part of that. And why not? He obviously loves Doctor Who, is fiercely proud of his work on it, and wants people to be as excited about it as he was as a child.

If nothing else, I've already learned from the Moffat tweets that the first episode of Moffat and Gatiss's Sherlock is going out on Sunday 25th July.

boxofslice

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 14, 2010, 12:57:42 PM
If nothing else, I've already learned from the Moffat tweets that the first episode of Moffat and Gatiss's Sherlock is going out on Sunday 25th July.

Ooh, excited.  I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced.

A summer Sunday though? Smacks of a burial. Maybe that's why the Moff has started tweeting, get some fuckers watching...

boxofslice

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 14, 2010, 01:07:26 PM
A summer Sunday though? Smacks of a burial. Maybe that's why the Moff has started tweeting, get some fuckers watching...

I always thought these sort of dramas play well on a Sunday evening.  Most people relaxing in front of the TV after the weekend, needing some sort of escapism before the working week starts.

Yeah you could be right. A 'Jonathan Creek special' sort of slot. I think I was just tying it up with the rumour that Sherlock had been cancelled already. Probably bollocks.

boxofslice

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 14, 2010, 01:59:33 PM
Yeah you could be right. A 'Jonathan Creek special' sort of slot. I think I was just tying it up with the rumour that Sherlock had been cancelled already. Probably bollocks.

Well, Gatiss has been posting up positive reviews of the first episode on his Twitter page.

Should really start its own thread, over to you LMC.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 14, 2010, 12:57:42 PMAnd I certainly don't think he'll see Twitter as an avenue for 'crowd sourcing' and be diminished as a result (see: Linehan)...And why not? He obviously loves Doctor Who, is fiercely proud of his work on it, and wants people to be as excited about it as he was as a child.

Yeah, I have no problem at all with the idea of him tweeting, it was just the content of the first few tweets that had me curling my lip and thinking about reaching for the sick bucket, that's all.

biggytitbo

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/539051/is_david_tennant_being_lined_up_to_play_the_incredible_hulk.html

It's probably bollocks, but I actually think he'd be quite good in the role. "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...oh yes!"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Duck Man

STOP PRESSES: MATT SMITH IN SWIM TRUNKS

(Put some weight on, you daft bugger)

From the press release for Christopher and his Kind the BBC drama about Christopher Isherwood.

biggytitbo

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Cerys

biggytitbo

Cerys

Talulah, really!

Saturday 24th July BBC Proms has another Doctor Who Prom. Hosted by Matt and Karen featuring Murray Gold's music for Doctor Who and some vaguely related classical pops, being broadcast on Radio 3 730pm and recorded for BBC3.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 16, 2010, 01:15:33 PM
This better be the usual Sun bollocks -
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3056595/MATT-SMITH-is-ready-to-quit-as-Doctor-Who-to-crack-Hollywood.html

I haven't been on Gallifrey Base since the whole Christopher-Eccleston-Radio-Times-Interview hubbub, but back then wasn't Moffat rumoured to be off after the end of the next series as well?  If so, then I hate to say it, but I could see the BBC resting it again.

After all, I'm already intrigued as to how the hell Moffat's going to up the ante for his next finale.  A bit difficult to beat having the entire universe ceasing to have ever existed, isn't it?  Assuming all the cracks and River Song are sorted out next year, where has anybody got to go from there?

biggytitbo

He said in an interview that next years finale would be more intimate, and change the Doctor forever, so I'm presuming its the resolution of the river story, as well as the silence stuff. If Moffat/Smith is off after next year, they'd probably already have announced it because production planning for series 7 would already be underway by now surely?

kidsick5000

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 16, 2010, 01:15:33 PM
This better be the usual Sun bollocks -
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3056595/MATT-SMITH-is-ready-to-quit-as-Doctor-Who-to-crack-Hollywood.html

It wouldn't surprise me. He's a young actor and could probably only do 2-3 series before needing to make the leap to something else or get trapped in TV forever.
Maybe trapped is too ectreme, but he isn't yet 30 and carrying a flagship role. It's either he leaps soon or stays for a long time

Small Man Big Horse

I never understand why they don't lock actors in to a contract for at least a few years - with a lot of US shows there's often a seven year contract, and that doesn't stop respected actors signing up. Now seven years is obviously too long, but three at the least surely couldn't be a bad thing?

QuoteIf so, then I hate to say it, but I could see the BBC resting it again.

I'd like to hope it's too much of a cash cow for the BBC to do that, but they've made terrible decisions in the past, so who knows.

biggytitbo

Matt should do at least 3 series, that's the minimum for all the great Doctors.

gatchamandave

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 16, 2010, 05:04:37 PM
Matt should do at least 3 series, that's the minimum for all the great Doctors.

I agree ut its not just that. I cannot imagine anything more likely to damage the series long-term than a revolving door on the TARDIS - " Oh, I love this new one - wait, what ? He's going ????" - would test the viewers patience. Whether one likes/liked Colin or not, personally I think his quick bundling out the back did more damage than Sylvester being pushed in front of the cameras since it suggested that even the BBC had lost confidence in the show. It had indeed, ironically, but  have the belief that the whole mess was probably the final straw - why invest time and attention on a new Doctor if he's gone in another season ?

Having said that, I don't think the story is true anyway. I can't see Matt being that naive - after all, even with a higher profile and longer track record Tennant seems to be struggling somewhat to establish himself in the US, notwithstanding the Hulk rumour.