Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers)

Started by ozziechef, March 18, 2010, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

If he's leaving it must be planned, since Moffat would have to be planning/writing his last episodes now. I doubt Matt would do an Eccleston and quite half way through filming.

lipsink

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 16, 2010, 01:35:53 PM
After all, I'm already intrigued as to how the hell Moffat's going to up the ante for his next finale.  A bit difficult to beat having the entire universe ceasing to have ever existed, isn't it?  Assuming all the cracks and River Song are sorted out next year, where has anybody got to go from there?

Having a smaller scale finale that's more intimate and character driven sounds like the right thing to do then. You don't necesarily have to have the Universe ending to make it feel epic or important as an ending. Also, for all we know the next series will answer the River Song/Silence stuff but introduce new questions that will need explored in the series after that.

The Duck Man

I saw something about Doctor Who I meant to post in this thread. I now can't remember what it was. Just thought you'd like to know.

papalaz4444244

It's not just the audience, it's merchandising. Would you want to put out Matt Smith toys at Christmas knowing that he's finished six months later?

I don't believe the story BTW.

Serge

He is on record as saying he still wanted to be The Doctor when he turned thirty, isn't he? I'd say it's complete balls - he looks like he's having far too much fun playing The Doctor to want to go and do anything else just now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Besides which, being the Doctor doesn't rule out making other stuff too. The American telly stars manage to do the odd film between seasons and they generally have more episodes to shoot.

Cerys

Look at the amount of stuff Tennant did while he was the Doctor.

Cerys

I'm not saying it's compulsory or anything.  Just ... stimulating.

lipsink

Mister Six

Quote from: lipsink on July 16, 2010, 07:01:26 PM
Having a smaller scale finale that's more intimate and character driven sounds like the right thing to do then. You don't necesarily have to have the Universe ending to make it feel epic or important as an ending. Also, for all we know the next series will answer the River Song/Silence stuff but introduce new questions that will need explored in the series after that.

Yes, exactly, and it's worth remembering that 'the universe ending' wound up meaning 'four people and a dalek running around four or five sets', and revolved almost entirely around emotional moments (Rory's wait, The Doctor's 'death', 'silly old Doctor'). RTD would've had CGI out the arsehole as the legion of supervillains seen at the end of The Pandorica Opens charge around tearing shit up.

As for the rumours of Smith leaving, it's just the usual Sun bullshit. Unnamed source? Check. Terrible career decision for an actor who's reportedly loving having the most high-profile gig in Britain? Check. Doctor Who headline that sells some copies/gets lots of online links during the silly season? Check.

Smith'll give it at least two more series before he leaves. He might do more, given the friendship he has with Gillan and the bloke who plays Rory.

Mister Six

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on July 16, 2010, 07:27:25 PM
It's not just the audience, it's merchandising. Would you want to put out Matt Smith toys at Christmas knowing that he's finished six months later?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Well, you wouldn't do it twice, would you?

papalaz4444244

Cerys

Looks as though the designers hated him too.  The only similarity that figure has to the real person is the ears - and even they're not quite right.

Gulftastic

At least it doesn't look like Gareth Hunt.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jah Wobbler on July 17, 2010, 02:58:34 PM
Leaked by his agent wanting to provoke a more generous Season 3 contract?

That's what occurred to me this morning. I seem to recall similar reports around the time that Tennant was up for renewal on his contract.

biggytitbo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article77137.ece
QuoteDR Who star David Tennant is to quit the show ? leaving BBC bosses looking for their 11th Timelord, The Sun can reveal.
David, 35, will leave in the middle of the fourth series.
The Scot is still filming the third series of the sci-fi favourite, which is set to be shown in the spring.
2006!

mycroft

My Eleven Doctors action figure set came this morning, some two months early! I have spent my evening so far having the Doctors pile in to beat up David Tennant, and making Matt Smith kiss Professor Yana. I am 28.

weekender

Quote from: mycroft on July 21, 2010, 07:06:32 PM
My Eleven Doctors action figure set came this morning, some two months early! I have spent my evening so far having the Doctors pile in to beat up David Tennant, and making Matt Smith kiss Professor Yana. I am 28.

Whenever I have a bad day, I'm going to come back to this post to remind me that life is fucking brilliant sometimes.

Where can I get an Eleven Doctors action figure set?

Small Man Big Horse

Yep. Those figures are going to get used as some demented fangirl's dildo.

biggytitbo

Cerys

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 21, 2010, 08:02:50 PM
Yep. Those figures are going to get used as some demented fangirl's dildo.

When there are so many daleks in various sizes...?

papalaz4444244

I wish the Series 5 set had the missing scenes reedited back into the episodes. bastards.

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on July 21, 2010, 09:49:37 PM
I wish the Series 5 set had the missing scenes reedited back into the episodes. bastards.
I was hoping that too.  Do we know it's not going to happen?

biggytitbo

There might be a smattering of them in the deleted scenes I suppose, like previous box sets. Sadly it'll probbaly be too expensive to make them broadcast quality and reedit them back into the main episodes.