Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Leeds

Started by gabrielconroy, March 24, 2024, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Quote from: paddy72 on March 24, 2024, 04:20:45 PMIs it? Not lived in Leeds for a few years now, but used to be a bus from the city centre that dropped you very close by.

Yeah, the 56 drops closest but the 49/50 has a stop less than 10 minutes walk. Plus Burley Park station is about 10 minutes walk too.

touchingcloth

I once watched as a man shat on the steps of the Grand. Can recommend, I think it was part of Opera North's promotions for Orpheus, and really helps set the Grand apart from the Playhouse and Carriageworks, though I did see something very similar at the City Varieties once.

shoulders

Marvel at the paucity of independent stores, absence of alternative scene and anything that isn't brutally split along demographic lines.

Do we have a few record and comic stores, antiques, guitar shops? Yes, but it's a pretty shabby offering for a major city.

iamcoop

I always felt the official city slogan - "Where we Leeds, others Follows" - needed work. I know it's derived from the original Latin, but still.

Aleister Growley

Don't talk to me about sophistication..

shoulders

I just remembered, the proportion of BNP membership that derived from South and East Leeds was absolutely frightening.

These are the people who claim they "don't go into the city centre anymore".

king_tubby

Yeah, fucking Morley.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: paddy72 on March 24, 2024, 04:20:45 PMIs it? Not lived in Leeds for a few years now, but used to be a bus from the city centre that dropped you very close by.

It's ok getting there, but good luck getting any bus after about 10:30pm as the bastards never turn up.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: shoulders on March 24, 2024, 01:18:17 PMGod, they've even spoiled Hyde Park Picture House haven't they?

Aw fuckin ell have they?

Ten or so years ago I used to know a girl that lived a couple of streets down from there and I don't mind saying that was a golden age.

Psybro

Leeds centre is definitely better at having things you could reasonably expect in a large city than Sheffield, whilst Sheffield is better at having unexpected things you might be able to afford.

phes

Quote from: shoulders on March 24, 2024, 01:18:17 PMBrudenell Social Club has kind of lost its way since around 2018. They still had all the working man's club interior but that's been stripped out and it more closely resembles a Spoons in the main room. There are no longer student friendly prices for the basics, and since the second room opened, I dunno, it just feels that bit more corporate than it used to. Other small details like microwave Pieminster pies for silly money add to that impression. It's still good, but it used to be great.

Last time I went the beer had gone off such a cliff I haven't been back since. Plenty to choose from but not one single great pint or can available. Everything that had been curated had gone and been replaced by regular lines of mediocre/poor beer and the fridges were just a few cans of North and Vault City. That was about two years ago and i'd love to hear differently from anyone because that place was a second home for years 2011-15

iamcoop

Quote from: phes on March 25, 2024, 08:40:45 AMLast time I went the beer had gone off such a cliff I haven't been back since. Plenty to choose from but not one single great pint or can available. Everything that had been curated had gone and been replaced by regular lines of mediocre/poor beer and the fridges were just a few cans of North and Vault City. That was about two years ago and i'd love to hear differently from anyone because that place was a second home for years 2011-15

I haven't been for years but I wonder if covid/usual cost of living issues have affected this?

It was featured in an article I read a while ago about small venues that are struggling, and unfortunately due to a total lack of support from the government a lot of venues the size of the Brudenell have had to start selling cheap shit beer they can make more of a profit on just to balance the books. It's happened to a few venues up here as well.

phes

Yes I'm almost certain that the unpredictability cause by COVID would have been one of the major factors in securing consistent, manageable but mediocre beer. Also going back a decade or so it was clearly a bit of a hobby horse of Nathan's, and that may have changed.

gabrielconroy

Thanks for all the tips, friendly and knowledgeable denizens of Leeds and its environs.

I will be checking out one or two of the pubs suggested by Shoulders, try to steer the work dinner we're being treated to in the direction of a curry place, and follow it off with a bracing trip at least to Ilkley Moor and perhaps even further afield!

I have just got back from (part of the time, anyway) trekking quite some way through primary rainforest and up a big old volcano, so should be able to handle the Yorkshire countryside. Although it would be quite amusing if I were to get lost and perish on some moor a few miles from Leeds.

mippy

Used to go to Bolton Abbey a lot as a kid, but as I understand it now a) you have to pay to get in b) most of it is closed off? I think we'd need a car to get there, but I'm quite fond of it and would love to visit again.

sovietrussia

Quote from: mippy on March 25, 2024, 02:43:21 PMUsed to go to Bolton Abbey a lot as a kid, but as I understand it now a) you have to pay to get in b) most of it is closed off? I think we'd need a car to get there, but I'm quite fond of it and would love to visit again.

Definitely car-only and avoid the dog days of summer as it gets insanely busy, the whole area full of dawdlers and feels almost Blackpool-like.  It was so hot the last time I was up there that the tarmac melted and we ended up with damaged tyres.  Take a walk along the Wharfe and see the Strid - looks fairly sedate but its capacity for danger is utterly terrifying, tread carefully.

touchingcloth

Leigh Francis was on that Cancer Cakes baking show they have nowadays last night, and I thought "hang on, isn't he cancelled?" and then for his Signature round he was going to be making "biscuits representing some of the characters he has played on TV" and I thought "ah, well he will be by tomorrow".

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: mippy on March 25, 2024, 02:43:21 PMUsed to go to Bolton Abbey a lot as a kid, but as I understand it now a) you have to pay to get in b) most of it is closed off? I think we'd need a car to get there, but I'm quite fond of it and would love to visit again.

Do you have to pay to get to the stepping stones? Bad show.

Quote from: gabrielconroy on March 25, 2024, 02:00:22 PMThanks for all the tips, friendly and knowledgeable denizens of Leeds and its environs.

Another tip - if you're driving in, be prepared for miles of roadworks and baffling detours that change daily, sending you into bus lanes and landing you with an unexpected fine.  It's getting beyond a joke!