Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Absinthe

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, April 11, 2020, 10:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

High enough % to both function as hand sanitiser and numb out the lockdown mind piss misery. Also you can only really get it online. Is this maybe the perfect time to get into absinthe?

Apparently all the hallucinatory stuff is over hyped a tad. Which is a shame cause it would be ideal. Don't worry about your trip to the Italian riviera being cancelled, now you can see five hundred Italian Rivieras all at once 10000 metres high lime green and swarming with mind flaying brachiopods! Although I guess you can't really put that on your Instagram story.

Is it worth getting into this stuff?

chveik

yeah it's quite nice. the hallucinations seem to be a myth, they were mostly likely caused by delirium tremens.  it's expensive af though.  you might as well buy pastis, it doesn't taste that different imho

my parents make their own (just a few litres every couple of years) and it doesn't seem that difficult. so if you have a garden and a bit of equipment you can try that.

imitationleather

However, of course, making spirits yourself in the UK is HIGHLY ILLEGAL.

chveik

it's illegal here too... (well except for some old folks that have a licence. my nan does)

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on April 11, 2020, 10:16:54 PM
However, of course, making spirits yourself in the UK is HIGHLY ILLEGAL.

Googled it, some absolute legend Gary types have found a loophole

QuoteOne of the "grey areas" around home distilling in the UK is that there is no proviso at all for ethanol that you are going to drink at home. There is however, some sort of precedent in that you can distill a certain amount of "bio-ethanol" at home for fuel use for off road use (licence required).

Hand Solo

Quote from: chveik on April 11, 2020, 10:15:14 PM
yeah it's quite nice. the hallucinations seem to be a myth, they were mostly likely caused by delirium tremens.

I thought it was because it used to be made with wormwood which is psychoactive, but they stopped using that in commercial products a long time ago?

Similar to cocaine in Coca Cola? But I still hear they use coca in the commercial product after being chemically washed to remove the high? But a bit doubtful on the veracity of that.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2020, 10:29:49 PM
Googled it, some absolute legend Gary types have found a loophole

It's not illegal if you build an absinthe-powered car first

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: chveik on April 11, 2020, 10:15:14 PM
it's expensive af though.  you might as well buy pastis, it doesn't taste that different imho

Nah, had that in Cornwall. Didn't get me all that drunk and I'm not a fan of the potato in the filling

chveik

Quote from: Hand Solo on April 11, 2020, 10:42:51 PM
I thought it was because it used to be made with wormwood which is psychoactive, but they stopped using that in commercial products a long time ago?

not exactly, it's the thuyone found in wormwood and other plants that can be very dangerous. but there is only a very small quantity of it in the spirit. you'd die of alcohol poisoning long before being in any way affected by it.

Hand Solo

I suppose the Bohemian artists on the stuff would have been completely fucked anyway on various drugs and liquors, so just the strength of the absinthe nevermind other properties didn't need enter into it.

imitationleather

Of course if you want to hallucinate you could just take acid. But don't do that because it's absolutely terrifying.

And HIGHLY ILLEGAL in the UK.

Urinal Cake

It's French gin. A lot of it has to do with new social mores, it being higher proof etc but I also think there were a lot of backyard operators creating dangerous product.

Noodle Lizard

I think it's very nice, personally, but I love that anise taste. I got served all sorts of suspiciously cheap luminous shots labeled "absinthe" on holidays to Spain and Portugal as a teenager, but drank the real thing (melted sugar cube and everything) for the first time in Amsterdam and loved it. I now get a bottle once a year or so to bring to NYE parties - it's fun to see people expect to trip balls off it, when really it's just a fancy and quite strong shot.

seepage

some absolute arsehole who ran a local bar in the nineties said he had the licence to be the sole importer into the UK. The bar failed and he fucked off to run a hotel in Wookey Hole. Hope that failed too.

Head Gardener

for a stronger hit it's better if you inject it