Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where can I buy a cheap pushbike

Started by Jasha, April 19, 2020, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

without lining Mike Ashley's pockets?

Emma Raducanu

Best would be Facebook market place I think.

idunnosomename

You could beat up a small child, as long as you don't mind it being pink with tassels on the handles

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DolphinFace on April 19, 2020, 06:07:21 PM
Best would be Facebook market place I think.

Gumtree's better in my experience. Ebay can be ok as well if you set it locally, or if you want something in particular and don't mind travelling.

Sin Agog

Why are they called pushbikes and not pedalbikes?

ollyboro

jobotic

If you want a new one Decathlon. You get much more for your money than in a Halfords.

Butchers Blind

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 19, 2020, 06:52:05 PM
Buy yourself bolt cutters.

Why bother? The friendly folks selling the wares on Gumtree, etc have done that for you.

Zetetic

Lots of towns and cities will have bike rebuilders and refurbishers that will generally sell at least under £200, and often under £100.

Google "Swindon refurbished bikes" or something. Or somewhere else if you don't live in Swindon. Ideally the place you do live.

bgmnts

Thank fuck, I didn't want to walk all the way to Swindon to buy a cheap bike.

gib

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 19, 2020, 06:26:05 PM
Why are they called pushbikes and not pedalbikes?

to distinguish them from motorbikes, which i guess have at least one pedal, especially the early ones

Quote from:  ED"Velocipede" was the generic English word of the time for a two wheeler (a hobby or dandy horse was a type of velocipede). "Bicycle" was a French word which was adopted into English around 1870, with the first use of the shortened "bike" appearing around ten years later. The first use of "push bicycle" cited in the Oxford English Dictionary is from 1906 and is used to distinguish a push bicycle from a motor-bicycle. The first cited usage of "push bike" is 1910 and again differentiated a push bike from a motor bike.

gib

Quote from: jobotic on April 19, 2020, 06:36:11 PM
If you want a new one Decathlon. You get much more for your money than in a Halfords.

and they let you try them out in the shop. For ages too, but after a few visits the staff get to recognise you.

Icehaven

If you're anywhere near Birmingham you can use mine for as long as you want, I haven't used it since about 2016 though so it's probably in a state.

gib

Quote from: icehaven on April 19, 2020, 11:56:44 PM
If you're anywhere near Birmingham you can use mine for as long as you want, I haven't used it since about 2016 though so it's probably in a state.

stick that in the local ads love, you should get a few replies, know what i mean

mojo filters

When I took my mother to the local municipal tip (now called environmental waste transfer station, or similar) I noticed they now also have a special section for dropping off bikes, plus what looked like some that had been recycled / fixed up, and presumably were on sale pretty cheap.

No idea if this happens in other places, but worth a look if your budget is real tight.