Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This legal/ moral?

Started by rack and peanut, April 20, 2020, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rack and peanut

Due to the small office my department work in, a full two metre exclusion is not possible when we have full staff, so the decision has been made to cut staffing when it's deemed unnecessary. To that end our managers have asked us to use up our holiday days on shifts where we are not needed. My question is this; if my company is going to keep healthy staff at home on their allocated shifts, shouldn't they be furloughing us instead?

We already lose money by taking holiday, as we don't get our shift bonuses for unsociable hours, just our basic rate. We would still be getting more than our 80%, but to be expected to give up our paid leave seems like a kick in the balls. Other departments have had staff furloughed, some of them on a rolling basis.

Should we feel lucky that we are still working and just accept this?

Non Stop Dancer

I may be wrong here but as I understand it, you're either furloughed or you're not, so can't be furloughed for the odd day here or there. Don't quote me on that though.

Non Stop Dancer

Is it possible to work from home? That seems the obvious solution.

Puce Moment

They can't ask you to use your leave when there is clearly not much of an end in sight for this. I have about 30-days leave left until the end of August, but I'm fucked if I am going to use it now.

bgmnts

Use your leave? Fuck that noise.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on April 20, 2020, 06:30:22 PM
I may be wrong here but as I understand it, you're either furloughed or you're not, so can't be furloughed for the odd day here or there. Don't quote me on that though.

So they should furlough half the staff.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: rack and peanut on April 20, 2020, 05:29:07 PM
Due to the small office my department work in, a full two metre exclusion is not possible when we have full staff, so the decision has been made to cut staffing when it's deemed unnecessary. To that end our managers have asked us to use up our holiday days on shifts where we are not needed. My question is this; if my company is going to keep healthy staff at home on their allocated shifts, shouldn't they be furloughing us instead?

We already lose money by taking holiday, as we don't get our shift bonuses for unsociable hours, just our basic rate. We would still be getting more than our 80%, but to be expected to give up our paid leave seems like a kick in the balls. Other departments have had staff furloughed, some of them on a rolling basis.

Should we feel lucky that we are still working and just accept this?

I'm on temp lay off since the start of the month. Cry me a river mate.

bgmnts

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 20, 2020, 07:59:29 PM
I'm on temp lay off since the start of the month. Cry me a river mate.

I've been unemployed for ages, cry me a river mate.

Consignia

Yes, it's legal for the employer to enforce leave; they need to give you twice as notice as the length they are asking you. e.g. 5 days leave would require notice 10 days in advance.

Source: https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/hours-and-holidays/holidays/can-my-employer-make-me-take-my-holidays-when-they-want

Is it moral? That's a tricky one. You could argue that by managing work load in such away they can keep you safe, and also avoid redundancies from spreading a reduced workload out.

Our employer has made all non-billable staff take last week off, as well as give everyone a pay cut regardless of their billability. Temporary, of course.

weekender

Offering £25 for a back rub, my fucking chair is not as orthopaedic as I thought.

Buelligan

Mine made me take all my leave, then he suggested I could treat any further days as leave in advance that I'd work off in the coming years/rest of my life (and have no holidays at all and then die owing them money).  I bared my teeth at this point and he furloughed me immediately, which I was very glad about.

weekender

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2020, 08:31:00 PM
Mine made me take all my leave, then he suggested I could treat any further days as leave in advance that I'd work off in the coming years/rest of my life (and have no holidays at all).  I bared my teeth at this point and he furloughed me immediately, which I was very glad about.

I read this post at the same time that I was apparently having Fireworks Night in April.

weekender

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A FIREWORK FESTIVAL?

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2020, 08:31:00 PM
Mine made me take all my leave, then he suggested I could treat any further days as leave in advance that I'd work off in the coming years/rest of my life (and have no holidays at all and then die owing them money).  I bared my teeth at this point and he furloughed me immediately, which I was very glad about.

sounds like a cunt, especially since your furlough money will mostly come from the government. I'm glad they've seen the light in the end.

Buelligan

I think he probably isn't a cunt, just someone who didn't fully understand how to do the furlough thing and thought it would be easier to let me carry that problem.  Then realised it was all sortable.