Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Behind The Scenes Books (Tv or Film)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 01, 2023, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Oh yes, a bit esoteric but worth getting. Years and years ago I picked up David Gerrold's The Trouble with Tribbles: Full Story of the Classic Star Trek Show for cheap with an idle "I'll throw it on the shelf'. But it's actually really good

A lot of it is just the script but there's a lot of great stuff from Gerrold about the commissioning of the script, the idea and the legacy of the show and it's an interesting insight into behind the scenes of Star Trek and American 60s television in general.

And that does seem to go for a bit cheaper

Good Hank

I don't know if this counts but Fly by Night by Steven Chain, about the Twilight Zone deaths and subsequent trial is macabre, infuriating reading. It goes into some detail about the world of stunts and special effects, the studio system and the Hollywood closed shops which allowed the circumstances in which three innocent people were killed.

Other "behind the scenes but not quite" books I've enjoyed are Wild and Crazy Guys by Nick de Semelyn and Fast Times and Excellent Adventures by James King, the former about the SNL alumni who went on to be stars, and the latter about the Brat Pack. A few studio-type revelations but mainly pen portraits of well-known 80s types.