Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,329
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld thread 966966844758

Started by madhair60, March 22, 2024, 10:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on March 22, 2024, 05:59:49 PMc2005 when UK Gold or similar were showing two episodes a night every day of the week

Must have been Paramount (God what a channel that used to be). That's what got me into the show, I loved its near-constant run of episodes around my Sixth Form years. It was the wackier later episodes that drew me in. Like anything really good, it took a while to truly appreciate just how amazing it was. The intricacies of the characters, the multiple callbacks, the rhythm of the repetition, the darker material. Yeah, it's a favourite. Bingeing the DVDs, just losing yourself in that petty funny world, is heaven.

Yes I think I came into it in a later series too - The Frogger I remember being one of the first I watched but then the channel just kept cycling through the seasons so I went back to the beginning eventually.

stranger

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on March 23, 2024, 07:01:50 AMYes I think I came into it in a later series too - The Frogger I remember being one of the first I watched

I watched The Frogger and The Little Kicks last night. Both later season episodes and both excellent.

The Frogger has one of my favourite George quotes ("Why must there always be a problem?!"). The Slippery Pete and Shlomo characters are great too,

"He looks like a frog"
"...So do you"

I love the Brody character and the movie bootlegging sub plot in the Little Kicks, and Elaine's colleague being attracted to "bad seed" George. And of course the Frank / Elaine "you wanna piece of me?" ending.

Both episodes were gold, Jerry. Gold!

Quote from: stranger on March 23, 2024, 08:00:24 AMAnd of course the Frank / Elaine "you wanna piece of me?" ending.

There's a great blooper reel of that scene, even in the take that got in the show you can see JLD starting to break.

Here it is

https://youtu.be/cFpKs4FEITo?si=xXD3KUfU-zevJOfC

AngryGazelle

I just watched Jerry steal some bread from an old lady and say 'shut up you old bag' and it cracked me up. Horrible, lovely stuff.

Before I watched the show I really disliked Jerry without knowing much about him; I have to admit I like his character, though.

I also find it faintly amusing that in a show called Seinfeld he isn't even in the top five funniest characters, I think he does add something very important to the show, I just can't always figure out what it is.

Twilkes

Without Jerry the show wouldn't exist, and in the scripts he's often the anchor that the other characters can feel free to orbit around.

And it's his apartment. :)

The cast all said at one time or another how generous it was of Jerry not to take centre stage like other people might (cough Raymond cough), he really just cared if the show as a whole was funny, and in the early seasons was quite plainly entertained just watching the cast act in front of him!

madhair60

finished season 2 this morning, fucking fantastic. the busboy.

"because of you and your thoughtless, stupid, insensitive remarks"

QDRPHNC

Quote from: AngryGazelle on March 23, 2024, 09:56:22 AMI just watched Jerry steal some bread from an old lady and say 'shut up you old bag' and it cracked me up. Horrible, lovely stuff.

My favourite part of that scene is the shot of Jerry running away, eyes widening as it sinks in he just robbed an old woman. Also in that one episode you have three Twin Peaks folks - Sarah Palmer, Dr. Hayward and Mrs. Tremond.

neveragain

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 23, 2024, 12:34:52 PMMy favourite part of that scene is the shot of Jerry running away, eyes widening as it sinks in he just robbed an old woman. Also in that one episode you have three Twin Peaks folks - Sarah Palmer, Dr. Hayward and Mrs. Tremond.

I think this is the episode where it really sank in for me how great a show it was. Every plotline works and they all go in and out of each other so well (can't remember how Elaine's 'hot and heavy' resolves so maybe not that one), with Susan's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?-esque parents being a highlight.

Twilkes

^ it resolved by her sax friend giving her so much oral that it wrecked his embouchure: (all very implicit, obviously)

neveragain

Ah yes of course. Doesn't tie in with the rye bread plot but still a good sub-plot.

madhair60

Season 3 seems a bit odd so far. Funny, good, but dipping its toe into fantastical dream sequences and stuff.

Really enjoying the writing, the characters.

Quote from: Twilkes on March 24, 2024, 02:26:38 PM^ it resolved by her sax friend giving her so much oral that it wrecked his embouchure: (all very implicit, obviously)

Did you call Alec Berg and thank him for the story editing?

madhair60

having seen Curb first it's really funny when Jerry or someone just clearly starts channeling Larry David

dr beat

I'd always wanted to sit down and watch Seinfeld properly, having caught brief bits during its BBC run.  Then it turned up on All4 in early 2020, and of course not long after I had plenty of time on my hands and binge watched it.  Its now rare that I don't watch a couple of episodes to wind down of an evening. One thing I love is there's that great NY rhythm to the dialogue, its almost musical.

I'm currently back on S4 and I always enjoy Susan's parents, slightly underrated.  I was watching the John Cheever episode last night.

Poobum

My most loved show. Over lockdown I must of watched through all of them three times. Perfect on in the background whenever I was doing uni work. Got mostly firsts so must of worked.

McChesney Duntz

Another late-season episode I like to put in a good word for wherever possible is "The Chicken Roaster." Even the stuff that doesn't quite work in this one (Jerry's utter inability to adapt to "Kramer mode" when the two of them switch apartments) still kinda works anyway (Jerry's ineptitude, acting-wise, actually makes the scene funnier somehow). Also includes the two lines from this show I quote in real life more than any others - "BAD CHICKEN! MESS YOU UP!" and "...Mister Marbles?" And Newman being forced to eat broccoli ("HONEY MUSTARD!") is an all-timer.

elliszeroed

George pushing over the kids at the party when the burgers catch fire.

Just realised Jerry Seinfeld is 70 next month. 😬

Gurke and Hare

Ruben Remus

Quote from: AngryGazelle on March 23, 2024, 09:56:22 AMI also find it faintly amusing that in a show called Seinfeld he isn't even in the top five funniest characters, I think he does add something very important to the show, I just can't always figure out what it is.

He makes an excellent deadpan foil for the rest of the cast. There are lots of memorable scenes that are basically set-pieces for George or Kramer or Elaine but which are also propelled along by Jerry's well-timed sardonic patter and which often end with him delivering a killer punchline to cap it off ("You kept making all the stops?!", "And you want to be my latex salesman" etc.) To make a slightly clumsy analogy he's a bit like a footballer who doesn't score many goals but gets loads and loads of assists.

madhair60

Captain Crunch

"Are you reading the manual from my VCR?"
"Well we can't all be reading the classics, Professor Eyebrow"

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Ruben Remus on March 25, 2024, 08:23:47 AMHe makes an excellent deadpan foil for the rest of the cast. There are lots of memorable scenes that are basically set-pieces for George or Kramer or Elaine but which are also propelled along by Jerry's well-timed sardonic patter and which often end with him delivering a killer punchline to cap it off ("You kept making all the stops?!", "And you want to be my latex salesman" etc.) To make a slightly clumsy analogy he's a bit like a footballer who doesn't score many goals but gets loads and loads of assists.

I love the latex salesman episode.

Proactive

Quote from: Captain Crunch on March 25, 2024, 12:19:02 PM"Are you reading the manual from my VCR?"
"Well we can't all be reading the classics, Professor Eyebrow"

I always heard it as that but think it must be Professor Highbrow. Great line though.

paddy72

Quote from: Proactive on March 25, 2024, 12:34:13 PMI always heard it as that but think it must be Professor Highbrow. Great line though.

It's definitely Highbrow.

LordMorgan

I absolutely love it NOW.

Back in the day never got it, and it was because of my beloved curb, which was my gateway

Some of jerrys acting can be way off, and miles away from the other performers in the show

I adore Frank costanza and I love how jerry stiller basically plays the same character on king of queens. Except more of it , wish there was more Frank on Seinfeld

Done a recent rewatch but started s6, s4 is the best I think with them writing the Jerry sitcom

I haven't bothered series 1 or 2 in years
I feel it really kicks off 3