Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gilbert Gottfried podcast

Started by elnombre, June 08, 2014, 05:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnombre

Has anyone else listened to this yet? First episode is up and features a highly entertaining interview with Dick Cavett. Lots of great anecdotes about Groucho Marx and other legendary and not-so legendary figures from the glory days of showbiz. I wish they'd covered Janis Joplin's appearance on Dick's show - one of my favourite talk show appearances ever.

If anyone wants to check it out its available on iTunes or at gilbertgottfried.com

emmett85

I've listened to the first three of these, all good listens and full of interesting anecdotes.

Squidy

Another hearty recommendation from me, and judging from the next few guests it should remain at this height of entertainingness.

Good interview with Gilbert Gottfried talking about the podcast with his friend Rick Overton here: http://sideshownetwork.tv/podcastsEpisode.cfm?podcastid=63&episodeID=4898

hedgehog90

These are great, really looking forward to some of the upcoming guests mentioned in the Overton interview.
So, what did you lot think of the Gianni Russo episode?
As emmett85 said, it was certainly "full of interesting anecdotes"...

Steven

Love Dick Cavett, heard that Frank Nelson story before but it's great "OOOH DO I?!", love watching his stilted slow moving interviews, because they're natural, much better than the modern keep-it-moving-moving-moving shallow celeb only coming on to plug Letterman and Leno type shite.

Big Jack McBastard

Not heard this yet but just imagining it made me grin madly.

Rolf Lundgren

Listened to the Dick Cavett and Paul Shaffer ones and they're both terrific. Really want to download the rest of them now.

On the Shaffer one, Gilbert singing the theme to Running in the Thicke of the Night and Problem Child by The Beach Boys both had me in hysterics.

The Roofdog

Just listened to the Drew Friedman one, the two of them riffing on "Chico needed the money" had me in hysterics

"Groucho, why did you supply heroin to Philip Seymour Hoffman?"
"Well Chico needed the money"

Tiny Poster

Ha! Now I definitely have to listen to that one.

Has he busted out his "Groucho past his peak" impression yet?

Squidy

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 01, 2014, 10:47:42 AMHas he busted out his "Groucho past his peak" impression yet?

Are you kidding? He restrained from doing this impression as long as he could - ten minutes into the first episode, to Dick Cavett himself.

Tiny Poster

Oh aye! But not an extended riff like he'd do with Penn Jillette.

elnombre

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 30, 2014, 11:34:27 PM
Listened to the Dick Cavett and Paul Shaffer ones and they're both terrific. Really want to download the rest of them now.

On the Shaffer one, Gilbert singing the theme to Running in the Thicke of the Night and Problem Child by The Beach Boys both had me in hysterics.

His rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone as Jerry Lewis on one of the Penn podcasts remains the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: elnombre on September 01, 2014, 01:48:20 PM
His rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone as Jerry Lewis on one of the Penn podcasts remains the funniest thing I've ever heard.

I liked his Jerry Lewis saying 'What we had was a love affair'.

My favourite podcast at the moment. I don't like listening to interviews with people I don't know but for this I make an exception because it's always funny. Gilbert is a really good audience and has great chemistry with his guests. Just finished listening to the Mike Reiss one and started the Billy West one today. Mike Reiss doesn't talk about The Simpsons that much but he gives some interesting trivia about it and there's some funny stuff earlier about his time on Johnny Carson and working on Airplane 2.

The Roofdog

Am I being an idiot, he keeps talking about interviewing Sara Karloff and Bela Lugosi Jr. but I don't see those podcasts anywhere? Was that for a different thing?

Steven

Nah he releases them out of order so mentions other interviews in the interviews that have been released, if that makes sense.

The Roofdog

Oh OK, I did realise he was releasing some of them out of order but I think he mentioned Bela Lugosi Jr. in the very first one!

Steven

I'm not quite sure, I noticed it too, but knowing Gilbert from his early stand-up and from some stuff from the Stern show he's obviously a very weird messed up guy with an obvious affection for early Horror, despite his fake loud and overexpectorate voice. He's a very quiet intelligent and knowledgeable guy, but I would guess after various interviews he takes time ok-ing them with the participants and their representatives, editing with various legal things (as with Gianni Russo who admitted to murdering people) to make sure he doesn't piss them off. He might have just shelved it for whatever reason but he seems like the kind of guy who would do that rather than disrespecting the candour of his guests. Oh and Joan Rivers vagina stinks, or at least will do soon more than usual.

elnombre

I once emailed him about the possibility of a European tour. Within an hour he replied to tell me "People in Europe are the only ones who hate me even more than the ones in the U.S."

Rolf Lundgren

Would love to know the reason behind releasing them out of order and reckon you're probably right Steven. He did mention that the Bela Lugosi Jr. one wasn't that good but they've talked about it so much it would be a shame not to release it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: elnombre on September 04, 2014, 05:55:51 PM
I once emailed him about the possibility of a European tour. Within an hour he replied to tell me "People in Europe are the only ones who hate me even more than the ones in the U.S."

More reason than any to do it.

Im a philistine but I do enjoy his turn in Beverley Hills Cop. Really showed a natural ability.

Steven

Gilbert's career is very odd, he was one of the SNL alumni and did sketches with Eddie Murphy, notably playing a Genie and the difficult stretch of a dead corpse. It's obvious behind the scenes he's a very subdued guy, and from hearing his regular 'serial-killer' voice on Stern's voicemail etc, he has a lot of talent for impressions and surreal humour but obviously wasn't the best at pushing himself into the limelight and basically was a road comic doing the odd spot on Married With Children or Hollywood Squares, now suddenly he's some kind of comedian's comedian who is the one to watch at roasts and treated like he's the comedy Sinatra or something. That said when he's comfortable like on Stern he's just vicious, like with the traumatising of Amy Heckerling's holocaust-dropping nanny with Gas Chamber jokes.

Rolf Lundgren

I think Gilbert got typecast as playing the annoying little shit and I mean that affectionately because if you've got the role of an annoying little shit then Gilbert plays it very well. Plus because he's got such a distinctive voice and personality it's hard to see him play anything other than that. Looking at his CV I'd assume he did a lot of things for the money as well which is fair enough but again might harm your career projectory. Where he is now is probably the highest he's been in about twenty five years and that's down to his appearances on the roasts.

Did you ever see the episode of US Wife Swap he did with Alan Thicke? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTUia4sS1k) It's a reality show with all the staging you might expect but worth a watch to see the lesser seen side of Gilbert.

Steven

Yeah, saw the wifeswap a while ago, Gilbert's veering between uptight and playing up for the cameras, though he is famously incredibly cheap and will go to parties just to steal snacks and leave.

He was criminally underused on SNL despite actually being a rather good impressionist, I'm guessing he was too shy to go show them to the writers and bully them into writing sketches that fitted to them, and of course Murphy was the break-out star at the time. Regarding his CV, he obviously came from a poor background and was aware that money or work could dry up any day and therefore will do any gig he can get.

I think his entire success now is pretty much gained from industry love from his decades of Stern appearences, he's kind of hacky and once he finds a joke to obsess over he will just run a joke into the ground but it's an exhilarating process, goo' for him, goo' for you.

remedial_gash

Bastards!

I'm halfway through the wife swap episode, and am eyeing up Andy Dick's one, and I'm downloading 800 megs of podcasts, so I should say say thanks.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on September 04, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
Did you ever see the episode of US Wife Swap he did with Alan Thicke? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTUia4sS1k) It's a reality show with all the staging you might expect but worth a watch to see the lesser seen side of Gilbert.

Gilbert's wife is lovely isn't she. I can't decide if I want her to be my wife or my Mum. It's very confusing.

hedgehog90

Alan Thicke's wife on the other hand...
Well, she's just a humourless, consumerist cunt basically.

The Roofdog

Anyone listened to the most recent episode? Alan Thicke is on being a surprisingly good sport.

He also phones Shecky Greene and asks him about the Friars Club incident and Greene spends 10 minutes ranting incoherently about Howard Stern.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: The Roofdog on October 22, 2014, 12:23:38 PM
Anyone listened to the most recent episode? Alan Thicke is on being a surprisingly good sport.

Haven't listened yet but will do. I'm kind of fascinated between the relationship between the two of them. Gilbert talks about him an awful lot and clearly finds something about him very funny. He takes the piss out of him but actually seems to quite like him while Thicke is happy to tolerate strange little Gilbert.

The Roofdog

So the Sara Karloff & Bela Lugosi Jr episode is now up as a twofer. Yeah, I can see why they held this one back to a quiet week. Lugosi Jr is just a terrible interviewee, and although Karloff seems a decent sort she gets asks the most trite questions imaginable which surprised me, Gilbert & Frank really off their game on that one.

This podcast is unmissable. Episode #99 contains a Rod Hull(!) anecdote that had me gasping for air.