Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Young Ones re-release DVD question

Started by madhair60, December 23, 2019, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

A fair while back they done a boxset with all of The Young Ones together, replacing the old BBC "Great Comedy" DVDs. My question is THUS: is the newer version cut to pissing ribbons? I am fairly sure the original DVDs were. Cheers. Bye

neveragain

As far as I'm aware the episodes are yet to be released uncut.

petril

wasn't the original video release uncut? and that was it

magval

The 3-disc boxset has less cuts than those original DVDs. Subterranean Homesick Blues and the racist policeman are back in, but I don't know if they're fully uncut. Extras are decent too.

Consignia

This one?

I think it's uncut. I've got it and I recall it being pretty untouched including every music segment. It's certainly the most pristine version out there, not like the previous versions.

DrGreggles

Quote from: magval on December 23, 2019, 04:51:23 PM
The 3-disc boxset has less cuts than those original DVDs. Subterranean Homesick Blues and the racist policeman are back in, but I don't know if they're fully uncut. Extras are decent too.

I thought that was pretty much uncut.
Can't think of anything that's missing.

Harry Badger

Blimey, how come it's an 18? The old VHS release was only a 15 - presumably they say 'cunt' a lot in the extras.

Goldentony

The re-release has the uncut broadcast episodes on from what I know, but misses out the shagging bears from Nasty

Consignia

Quote from: Harry Badger on December 23, 2019, 04:59:46 PM
Blimey, how come it's an 18? The old VHS release was only a 15 - presumably they say 'cunt' a lot in the extras.

It's a placeholder image. The actual release is a 15.

the

Quote from: madhair60 on December 23, 2019, 02:38:10 PMA fair while back they done a boxset with all of The Young Ones together, replacing the old BBC "Great Comedy" DVDs. My question is THUS: is the newer version cut to pissing ribbons? I am fairly sure the original DVDs were. Cheers. Bye

The 2Entertain one with the Union Jack cover is the one you want, it's got the 35 minute episodes with all the original music cues (some of which were changed on the old VHSs), and as mentioned it's got stuff like Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve and the racist policeman that have been dicked around with previously.

As Goldentony mentions it doesn't have that gag where the teddy bears are shagging on the bed, but I think that's because it was never in the broadcast episde, only on the home video versions.

It also got a disc of bonus documentaries which are worth it.

Piers Fletcher Dervish

Beside the shagging teddy bears in Nasty, the episode Time was also edited and has the flash frame of the raspberry blowing punk missing. None of the DVD releases have been as complete as the old VHS sets (double cassette versions) unfortunately. But the bonus documentaries are nice as mentioned.

the

Quote from: Piers Fletcher Dervish on December 23, 2019, 09:53:38 PMBeside the shagging teddy bears in Nasty, the episode Time was also edited and has the flash frame of the raspberry blowing punk missing. None of the DVD releases have been as complete as the old VHS sets (double cassette versions) unfortunately. But the bonus documentaries are nice as mentioned.

The double cassette versions had a few music substitutions, and some bits lopped out to edit around it. The newer DVD set reinstates them.

What's missing from Time?  edit: or did you just mean the freeze frame?

Ambient Sheep

Possibly a bit late to the party for madhair's purchasing decision, but the definitive answers to all this can be found in a 2007 thread here, a long-ish conversation with loads of detail, summarised in 2016 here.

I really do suggest you click through, as there's loads of obscure detail, but here's the main takeaways:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 21, 2016, 10:28:58 PM
Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on October 30, 2007, 01:39:52 AMTo stop any confusions circulating, let it be known that this new set is indeed totally uncut - every frame is exactly as broadcast in 1982/84. All music cuts have been put back in - yes, including Good Day Sunshine. Quite incredible.

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on November 05, 2007, 12:19:58 PM
[On the original DVDs compared to the newer box-set you'd] get the shagging teddy-bears, the re-dubbed intro to Oil, the Beatles-free intro to Boring, and the mysterious Brewis-esque sting as Neil is thrown out of the army recruitment shop (which covers up the removal of Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve).

If you want the Time flashframe and the 'clean' version of the lion-taming scene (sans Tight Fit), you have to seek out the old VHS tapes.

(The latter would seem to indicate that the is correct when he says that the original VHS tapes have some music edits.)

Piers Fletcher Dervish

Quote from: the on December 23, 2019, 11:42:54 PM
The double cassette versions had a few music substitutions, and some bits lopped out to edit around it. The newer DVD set reinstates them.

What's missing from Time?  edit: or did you just mean the freeze frame?

Yes, it is the flash frame I meant which is missing. Do you have more information which music was missing on the double VHS version?

the

Quote from: Piers Fletcher Dervish on December 24, 2019, 09:38:23 AMYes, it is the flash frame I meant which is missing. Do you have more information which music was missing on the double VHS version?

In Oil, Travellin' Light has been removed from the beginning and the opening dialogue was re-recorded to cover it. Working On A Chain Gang is removed when they're digging for oil, which leads to this bit being shortened a little on the VHS.

Good Day Sunshine gets mixed off the beginning of Boring, and the lion tamer scene from Flood has The Lion Sleeps Tonight removed from it and the clean audio of the lion taming is used instead.

the

It's worth bearing in mind that, at the time, to create different edits the editing process would involve actual dubbing of a variant edit to a new tape reel. If they had to go back to earlier source material to prepare this edit (ie. the clean version of the lion taming), this might explain why some extra bits ended up the home versions (ie. the teddy bears).

As the newer DVDs were likely prepared from the original broadcast reels, that's why they don't include these extra bits, hence those bits haven't really been 'edited out' as such. More that the extra bits were only included in a variant edit on another reel which was not plundered when putting the DVD together.

Pinball

I've got the union jack boxset which is pretty good though not perfect. Network need to remaster this onto a BluRay collector's edition a la Python.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: the on December 24, 2019, 11:58:35 AM
In Oil, Travellin' Light has been removed from the beginning and the opening dialogue was re-recorded to cover it. Working On A Chain Gang is removed when they're digging for oil, which leads to this bit being shortened a little on the VHS.

Good Day Sunshine gets mixed off the beginning of Boring, and the lion tamer scene from Flood has The Lion Sleeps Tonight removed from it and the clean audio of the lion taming is used instead.

I inadvertently told a lie up there: that's extra specific info to the threads I linked above (as far as I can renember and without rereading them all).  Thanks, will now bookmark this thread for the next time someone asks... :-)

SteK

Watched a doc recently about The Young Ones, they mentioned the fifth housemate and even the people that were in it said no such thing and it passed me by too.

But he's there! No doing much but there....

Ambient Sheep

Correction / addendum as I suddenly realised the contradiction here regarding this:

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on October 30, 2007, 01:39:52 AMTo stop any confusions circulating, let it be known that this new set is indeed totally uncut - every frame is exactly as broadcast in 1982/84.

v. the missing flash-frame in Time.  It appears that ELW10 later corrected himself on receiving new evidence:

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on October 31, 2007, 04:23:55 PMIndeed it is [on the VHS tapes], and it's missing from the new DVD. Sigh. So not quite uncut then. Christ knows why (or indeed when) the flashframe was removed.

It's not a punk blowing a raspberry, incidentally - it's noted on the PasB sheet as 'Gurning from Newcastle'.

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on October 31, 2007, 07:04:48 PMIn the show, we see the Easter bunny depart, and then we cut to a four-shot; the flashframe then appears just before they all exclaim 'Eh?!'.

When I get a sec, I'll check at what point the cut occurs on the DVD. If it's after the flashframe then it's been removed; if it's a clean version without the flashframe then it'll be a 'two edits on the shelf assumed to be identical' situation.

Unfortunately it seems he didn't get a sec before the thread petered out.  That's something we can all do though. :-)

It's also unclear as to whether the close-up of Neil's sneeze survives in Sick.  I suppose that too could actually be answered by *watching* it... seems a bit radical.

Sorry that my posts on this thread have been less helpful than I at first thought they were.

neveragain

Well they've kept me tumescent. Merry Christmas!

the

Quote from: SteK on December 24, 2019, 03:51:24 PMWatched a doc recently about The Young Ones, they mentioned the fifth housemate and even the people that were in it said no such thing and it passed me by too.

But he's there! No doing much but there....

Ade Edmonson commented on it in a Bad News Q&A, here

I always thought this bit was horrendous and the type of thing they'd cut out.

"Would you marry a cripple?"

"No."

Replies From View

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 25, 2019, 01:39:23 AM
I always thought this bit was horrendous and the type of thing they'd cut out.

"Would you marry a cripple?"

"No."

I always picture the editors nodding to one another approvingly as they keep that bit in.

dumpster

Hi, long time lurker and very rare poster....  I want to buy the Young Ones and I'm seeing this box artwork that I've not seen before....

https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/dvd/the-young-ones-complete-series-1-2-(hmv-exclusive)

Is the Union Jack Box version still the closest to being Uncut? 

Just want the best, most uncut edition - which one?

Thank you.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah, this one. This is the 'red' 3-disc set, repackaged with art you can only get in HMV. Safe buy.

dumpster

So it arrived and it's cut.  Just checked with Cash and the whole music number is missing.  Is the Union Jack Box the one to get?   I already have the US every Stoopid Episode and that's cut too.

Replies From View

According to this, you need the UK 25th Anniversary box set:

https://theyoungones.fandom.com/wiki/DVD_releases

And according to this link - https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_young_ones/shop/392/complete_series_one_two/ - that's the DVD set that looks like this:

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: dumpster on April 26, 2022, 07:38:10 PMSo it arrived and it's cut.  Just checked with Cash and the whole music number is missing.  Is the Union Jack Box the one to get?   I already have the US every Stoopid Episode and that's cut too.

Bollocks, sorry mate. I presumed that because it stated 3 discs on HMV's website it was that 25th Anniversary set repackaged. HMV tend to do that.

Does it have the 3 discs (third one would have Comedy Connections and other interviews etc)?

Apparently it's not the 'Every Stoopid' box you need but the 'Extra Stoopid' box, if going the Region 1 route.

HMV have made me feel the right twat.