Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rewatching Detectorists

Started by SteK, January 26, 2020, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: SteK on January 27, 2020, 03:10:20 PM
Is that the look on Terry's face when when he glances at Sheila sat in the field?

It sure is. At first it just seems like a throwaway scene to break up the auction plot, but the look of pure pride, love and contentment on his face gets me every time, not to mention Sheila's uncynical glee at his button find as they essentially wave goodbye to the audience. Beautifully played by Gerard Horan and Sophie Thompson.

Quote from: Dewt on January 27, 2020, 04:38:53 PM
Anybody who loves this and hasn't seen the new Worzel Gummidge should see the new Worzel Gummidge.

This.

SteK

There are two unresolved bit at least from this show.

1. The Ship Burial, it was shown end Series 1 I think, the outline for the site from a high camera, and Lance's big goal...

2. Shiela's lost child, it was obvious she had one from the beer garden scene with Lance.

Got a new series Mackenzie?

No, he won't give me one!

Give him a fourth series you swine

Yeah, give me a fourth series you shit......

sirhenry

Quote from: sick as a pike on January 27, 2020, 01:37:06 PM
Lance does use 'the c word' at one point ("cunt").
My memory is a mess these days, but wasn't there a weekly swearword (one per episode) in the first series? All perfectly placed (like when we discovered Becky was a primary school teacher) and inoffensive, but there to make a point.

SteK

Quote from: sirhenry on January 27, 2020, 08:51:21 PM
My memory is a mess these days, but wasn't there a weekly swearword (one per episode) in the first series? All perfectly placed (like when we discovered Becky was a primary school teacher) and inoffensive, but there to make a point.

And when Becky was putting her stuff in the car outside the primary school she teaches in, and over the phone Andy invites her to Terry's talk on Buttons, she exclaims 'Fuck off!' loudly, and quickly looks round in case any school kids are still around.

Lovely stuff, not my words, those of Shakin' Stevens....

wooders1978

Quote from: jobotic on January 27, 2020, 04:14:13 PM
Thank you.

Think i'm going to wait until this country is less depressing or at least until I fell less shit about it. If I watch this I'll fall back down with a crash afterwards.

This country is well funny mate and series 3 is on its way - cheer up ffs

Malcy

I finally got round to watching series 3 a few weeks ago and thought it was superb. Wish I had rewatched series 1&2 before hand as it's been a while.

Jones & Crook are a great duo. Hope they do something more in the future.

gib

idunnosomename

Quote from: SteK on January 27, 2020, 01:12:28 PM
There was only one Special, end of Series 2
i mean series 3. ive never seen series 3. fuck me

neveragain

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 27, 2020, 07:19:09 PM
...Sheila's... beautifully played by... Sophie Thompson

Goodness me, I've just found out she's Emma Thompson's younger sister

Pseudopath

Quote from: SteK on January 27, 2020, 07:29:12 PM
There are two unresolved bit at least from this show.

Surely the obvious one is the character of Sophie vanishing from the face of the earth after Series 2? I don't even remember how they explained her departure.

Neville Chamberlain

Love the "reveal" of how to turn the telly on.

Also, "Have you got a syndrome?"

ian01604

Special mention for the gig episode. A lesser series would have had it turn out terrible.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gib on January 28, 2020, 12:36:11 AM
will never forget the jim'll fixit badge intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRWc_kOKq8

That's the bit that clicked and sold the show to me entirely.  Up to that point I wasn't "getting it" and was about ready to throw in the towel, but that single short moment, where you can see Andy's brain running through several emotions (superbly played by Crook) completely won me over.

Norton Canes

Mobbd

Quote from: SteK on January 27, 2020, 04:18:08 PM
The bit that always sets me off and it's not even that funny is when Andy's gf leaves him as she says he's having a mid-life crisis and it will be a leather jacket and motorbike next.

Next scene is Andy Lance off detecting in the morning and Lance says 'So, what would you get?'

'Triumph probably.......'

A [motor]bicycle joke!

alan nagsworth

I don't think I was in the right frame of mind for this the first time around, because I recall getting most of the way through series 2 and finding myself wondering why I was still bothering with it. Rewatching it now in my new home with my girlfriend and absolutely loving it. Just finished the first series. Lance's casual "because he's a cunt" in episode 5 properly caught me off guard. Toby Jones is incredible.

A great recurring visual gag is that whatever agency work Andy's doing always involves him holding a long apparatus and staring at the ground (hoovering, drawing lines on a sports pitch, measuring streets with a trundle wheel).

Since watching Worzel I'm now also far more alert to the occasional cuts to shots of wildlife peppered throughout that add to how pastoral and quiet and bloody lovely this show is. Crops swaying in a gentle breeze, a butterfly arsing about on a leaf. Marvellous.

SteK

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 30, 2020, 01:17:12 PM
I don't think I was in the right frame of mind for this the first time around, because I recall getting most of the way through series 2 and finding myself wondering why I was still bothering with it. Rewatching it now in my new home with my girlfriend and absolutely loving it. Just finished the first series. Lance's casual "because he's a cunt" in episode 5 properly caught me off guard. Toby Jones is incredible.

A great recurring visual gag is that whatever agency work Andy's doing always involves him holding a long apparatus and staring at the ground (hoovering, drawing lines on a sports pitch, measuring streets with a trundle wheel).

Since watching Worzel I'm now also far more alert to the occasional cuts to shots of wildlife peppered throughout that add to how pastoral and quiet and bloody lovely this show is. Crops swaying in a gentle breeze, a butterfly arsing about on a leaf. Marvellous.

Spotters Badge for alan, I missed the bit about Andy's, err equipment...

Quote from: SteK on January 30, 2020, 01:32:29 PM
Spotters Badge for alan, I missed the bit about Andy's, err equipment...

I started watching for a third (forth?) time due to this thread and only just picked that up.

SteK

Remember the big scene where Andy goes for the Africa thing and goes to Becky to tell her? She's dressed as Victorian Flower Seller for a school thing and after a bit of stressful dialogue harmony is achieved and she smiles and reveals a blacked-out tooth. I wait for that every time and I still laugh.

And the way Becky is with Stan, dunno if Rachael Stirling has kids but she seemed genuinely motherly in those scenes, another for the 'I just got something in my eye' excuse...

gib

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 28, 2020, 08:48:49 AM
That's the bit that clicked and sold the show to me entirely.  Up to that point I wasn't "getting it" and was about ready to throw in the towel, but that single short moment, where you can see Andy's brain running through several emotions (superbly played by Crook) completely won me over.

Same here, that is exactly it.

Malcy

This popped up on my Facebook memories earlier. 2 guys who found a load of Roman gold but it turned out to be props from the show!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/30/detectorists-stumble-treasure-trove-roman-gold-think/

Non Stop Dancer

Hello, can Rachel Sterling be my wife please.

amateur

alan nagsworth

Djs

Just finished watching all of this. Absolutely wonderful show. I think in terms of what it sets out to achieve, there's not really much to find fault with in any episode (except Sophie's unexplained departure). It's paced wonderfully and the final episode felt conclusive without laying it on too thick. I was so satisfied with it and even though I love it dearly I didn't feel like I wanted it to keep going. Excellent writing.

The characters all have such heart and all the relationships therein are humble and genuine despite being in a fictional sitcom. The DNDC aren't laughably dull whatsoever, even though they themselves would often admit it. The bond they share is charming and sweet and as a viewer I was so invested in that, even though their interests are relatively unrelatable to me. Fuck me when Terry looks at Sheila after he finds that button, the love in his eyes, I instantly welled up at that little moment. One of the many facets of the show which is never rammed down your neck and yet its beauty radiates naturally out of it.

Another observation some may not have noticed (unless I'm being dim and this is obvious) is the direct link in series 3 between Mags trying to steal away Lance's fortune and the magpies doing the exact same thing, but as soon as he confronted his demons and found contentment in himself, the happiness he had earned and rightfully deserved came right back to him. I mean, how absolutely bloody marvellous is that? christ, I've got chills just now thinking about it.

alan nagsworth

Excuse the fact that it says DJs at the top of that post, I would edit it out but I'm on my phone and every time I edit my posts it glitches punctuation out to fuck

jobotic

Must watch final episode. Can't put it off forever. Could get hit by a bus having never seen it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on February 03, 2020, 07:41:31 AM
Hello, can Rachel Sterling be my wife please.

There is a queue here mate.

Unfortunately we're all behind The Singer From Elbow.

jake thunder

Just finished watching the whole thing for a second time. Goddamn. What a show.

There don't seem to be any in depth interviews with McKenzie Crook about the show. Anyone know of anything?

Cardenio I

Whenever I try to picture the singer from Elbow all I get is Tim Key.

Binged series 2 & 3 again last night, it's so rewatchable - who wouldn't want to live in their world?

Lance's facial expressions when he finds the gold at the end of series 2 are lovely.

https://youtu.be/rbvfpns2LAg