Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Vale: Criminally overlooked youtube cartoon set in Ebbw Vale

Started by Misspent Boners, February 09, 2020, 02:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Taking a bit of a risk here I suppose...this is a crassly made absolutely wonderful little series that was released on YouTube. Cant specifically remember how I found out about it, I think someone I went to college years ago posted it on FB as he knows one of of the writers, and for whatever reason I clicked on the link out of intrigue and am so glad I did.

I'm posting it because it's one of the best comedy things I've seen for ages. There are a host of memorable and funny characters and it's a lovely little narrative arc that we're taken along, taking the course of a whole week in the life of these people from Ebbw Vale. The Big Lez show (another criminally underlooked youtube cartoon) is the most obvious influence; the design of the characters and casual voice acting etc. There may be a possibility that some of the humour resonates with me so much because of the Welshness but hopefully it will come across anyway

Most importantly; its has many moments where it made me actually crease up laughing hysterically, which is actually quite rare for me these days.

I cant recommend watching the whole series of 6 episodes enough; if you do and didnt enjoy it I'll give you a fiver. I guarantee if you watch it all you'll enjoy it.

The Vale.

https://youtu.be/aay5NQZhARk

bgmnts

Will anyone unfamiliar with Ebbw Vale find this funny?

Okay the "pardon me for taking joy in my work" line coming from a an old man Pikachu in a generic, cliche anime series had me giggling.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2020, 02:30:57 PM
Will anyone unfamiliar with Ebbw Vale find this funny?

Okay the "pardon me for taking joy in my work" line coming from a an old man Pikachu in a generic, cliche anime series had me giggling.

I'm from Cardiff, I dont know much about Ebbw Vale but lived/have friends in Ponty and Bridgend so definitely appreciate the portrayal more than.maybe someone from London would or something. I find the Big Lez show funny and I'm not from Australia.

The first couple of episodes are very short; it greatly improves after the first two episodes once it gets in the swing of things. I bloody love Bleddyn and Alun. It has an absolutely wonderful ending too.

Watch it all.man, honestly it's amazing:)

PowerButchi

Beaton meeting Tony's friends in episode 5 has just had me going fucking mental with laufghter.

Lewman

Really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to series 2!

bgmnts

I wanted to see more of Alun and Beaton as it had a king of the hill vibe,  just sitting round with a few cans.

Quote from: PowerButchi on February 10, 2020, 10:20:53 AM
Beaton meeting Tony's friends in episode 5 has just had me going fucking mental with laufghter.

Hahaha yeh that bits priceless...his mate is like "you're over reacting theres no way your stepfather can be that bad" and then he promptly turns up, rips into them all before blasting nickelback

Cuellar

Just finished it, I enjoyed that. The animation of Jock pegging it in to the woods in the final episode cracked me up.

kyema

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QDRPHNC

alan nagsworth

Here's a post in which I mention Big Lez five times in three paragraphs.

This is quite good but I'm not enjoying it as much as others seem to be. The stepdad is the only funny regular character though and even then it's basically just a weaker version of Big Lez, from his dumb machoism to the relationship he has with his (step)son.

Call me cynical but I can't see a whole lot of difference between this and the Big Lez show in terms of tone and style, except with Big Lez I loved it instantly, whereas I'm indifferent towards The Vale to the point where I've watched 5 episodes and am not feeling particularly arsed enough to watch the last one. In its infancy, Big Lez quite literally effortlessly nailed that stifled suburban environment with arseholes fucking about to a humdrum plot, but this isn't quite hitting that mark enough, and so I can't help but see it as not much more than a weak imitation. I need a lot more from this.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 11, 2020, 06:54:12 PM
Here's a post in which I mention Big Lez five times in three paragraphs.

This is quite good but I'm not enjoying it as much as others seem to be. The stepdad is the only funny regular character though and even then it's basically just a weaker version of Big Lez, from his dumb machoism to the relationship he has with his (step)son.

Call me cynical but I can't see a whole lot of difference between this and the Big Lez show in terms of tone and style, except with Big Lez I loved it instantly, whereas I'm indifferent towards The Vale to the point where I've watched 5 episodes and am not feeling particularly arsed enough to watch the last one. In its infancy, Big Lez quite literally effortlessly nailed that stifled suburban environment with arseholes fucking about to a humdrum plot, but this isn't quite hitting that mark enough, and so I can't help but see it as not much more than a weak imitation. I need a lot more from this.

Fair enough it's all subjective innit. I found most of the other characters equally as funny. It's been made at an amateur level so isnt anything spectacular but still was a very entertaining way to spend 45 mins

Second series is being released imminently apparently!

BritishHobo

I see what people are saying about similarities with Big Lez, but I'd say there's a massive difference in the way it deals with that daft manliness. Big Lez didn't really seem to be saying anything serious or negative, it just enjoyed having such a batshit bloke main character, leaning full-tilt into the crazy sci-fi battle royale stupidity. The Vale is surely doing a totally different thing by taking a much more grounded look at yer stepson and his anxiety and depression living under a scared, nasty thug of a stepdad.

Captain Z

This was pretty funny and the characters are extremely well-observed. I have met a few Beatons and Alans in my time, although perhaps that's more due to the homogeneity of the Welsh valleys. The Nickelback detail is great, fuckin', Chas Kroeger, man, best voice in the world.

Dewt

bgmnts

I think the fat anime geek is actually quite well observerd as well, the drawing of him is perfect.

Quote from: Captain Z on February 13, 2020, 08:33:34 PM
This was pretty funny and the characters are extremely well-observed. I have met a few Beatons and Alans in my time, although perhaps that's more due to the homogeneity of the Welsh valleys. The Nickelback detail is great, fuckin', Chas Kroeger, man, best voice in the world.

Beatons inclusion of How You Remind Me in his wedding speech was profoundly moving 😓

BritishHobo

Quote from: bgmnts on February 13, 2020, 09:06:14 PM
I think the fat anime geek is actually quite well observerd as well, the drawing of him is perfect.

That whole college ICT class/anime talk to stave off the bleakness of bumming around a Welsh town at that age is great. Even as a North Walian who typically feels unfamiliar when it comes to general Welsh stereotypes and observations, it was something I really got.

PowerButchi

Yeah, reminded me of just sitting about the library field in Wrexham all day doing fuck all talking bollocks  about bollcks when I was 16.

Yeah as mentioned I'm from Cardiff but went to college in Bridgend and resultedly made a lot of friends from in or near Pontypridd, and it really resonated with me because in the those areas their really was this affinity between Male teenagers and metal and anime culture. I wonder why? I guess it was escapism from being somewhere that could feel a bit bleak and hopeless and to get away from the aggressive roidhead type figures that were around maybe

Sin Agog

Yeah, liked this.  Seems to be evolving at a faster clip than Big Lez did.  They got to naval gazing in the woods in just six episodes.  Literally the only moment I had no time for was that way too obvious setup in the fifth episode: 'I hate people who tell you to fuck off" *enter ginger* 'Fuck off.'  (Actually, it sounds funnier now that I write it out).

chveik

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Captain Z on February 13, 2020, 08:33:34 PM
The Nickelback detail is great, fuckin', Chas Kroeger, man, best voice in the world.

Nickelback are quite a huge meme as far as musical laughing stocks go, that sort of reference isn't really a stretch for an internet comedy series to make.

I don't really buy the argument that it's all that well-observed, either. It's a fat nerdy kid having a shit time at home, it's hardly a niche topic is it? Feels like this stuff would be fairly easy to write if you had any sort of chops in the medium. It's watchable but it's unremarkable. I'd probably be more into if one of my mates had made it but otherwise, meh.

The crux of this show is that it needs to be a lot funnier, and what I've seen wasn't very funny so it doesn't succeed for me. I'll probably watch the 6th episode tomorrow as sometimes you need to step away from something and come back later to see the merit. Maybe it'll click then.

QDRPHNC

It was precisely that Nickelback was such an obvious target that made it funny.

alan nagsworth

That's one way of seeing it. I just see it more as "done to death" which is not as easy to enjoy.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 15, 2020, 10:30:50 AM
The crux of this show is that it needs to be a lot funnier, and what I've seen wasn't very funny so it doesn't succeed for me. I'll probably watch the 6th episode tomorrow as sometimes you need to step away from something and come back later to see the merit. Maybe it'll click then.

Again that shows how subjective these things can be; my main reason for going out of my way to point people in the direction of this was because it's made me laugh uncontrollably throughout the whole thing in a way few things do nowadays; besides a few bits in the last Big Night Out. The design of the characters alone is a massive source of humour...that said if you fancy interjecting every now and then to remind us you dont care for it fair enough :)

Yeah the Kongs in Cardiff is ace, deliberating on whether to go if I can find anyone to go with. Could be a fun evening!