Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyTurnips

Yeah when Adam told the story on RHLSTP he started by saying that they always thought he was a "creepy fucker". Then whenever I listened back to the 6music shows and there happened to be a Rolf mention I always thought of it as a bit of a reference for those who know.

Phil_A

Similarly the E4 series they did, Shock Video, seems to be entirely lost to history now. Even the one clip that used to be on youtube has vanished.

Virgo76

Quote from: Johnboy on March 08, 2021, 12:58:15 PM
The Róisín Murphy ep was a hoot.
Rose Matafeo one is great. Is that who you mean?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

No, Roisin Murphy from Moloko. She's very likeable and funny.

Virgo76

Oh God. Yes. Apologies.
I actually listened to that one too and she was indeed great. I'd forgotten. Her voice sounded very different to how I would have expected.
And Rose Matafeo was excellent too. A real rising star. Adam even ventured into the potentially dangerous territory of discussing her break-up with James Acaster.
Basically, anyone with the initials 'R.M' is bound to be a great guest.
Richard Madeley, Ruth Madoc, Rick Moranis and the late Ron Moody should all be considered for future episodes.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 09, 2021, 06:15:13 AM
Oh God. Yes. Apologies.
I actually listened to that one too and she was indeed great. I'd forgotten. Her voice sounded very different to how I would have expected.
And Rose Matafeo was excellent too. A real rising star. Adam even ventured into the potentially dangerous territory of discussing her break-up with James Acaster.
Basically, anyone with the initials 'R.M' is bound to be a great guest.
Richard Madeley, Ruth Madoc, Rick Moranis and the late Ron Moody should all be considered for future episodes.

Rupert Murdoch. That would be something.

Papercut

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 08, 2021, 12:33:26 AM
If anyone has a link to that Weller interview I'd greatly appreciate it; over my years of following Buxton's every move it's taken on an almost mythological status.

I have an edited MP3 of the second show (I thought I had both), the Weller interview is on there.

Adam gives Liza the option of vetoing the idea at the start of the show (although she probably thought he was joking), but is then clearly a bit concerned and embarrassed by Weller being so unimpressed after he goes for it.

Adam could have probably got away with it, except he tries to smooth it over with Paul by making fun of how silly an idea it was, but that just has the effect of lingering on the frostiness, rather than carrying on with the interview... He even comes back to it after the interview, and Liza sounds a bit irritated he doesn't just let it go.

Weller probably comes across worst for having no sense of humour about it, and even makes some comment like "I suppose you've got to do your comedy bit". Entertainingly awkward.

I'll see if I can find a way to share it.

__steve__

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 05, 2021, 03:18:57 PM
Are there handy links to individual podcast jingles/links anywhere? The egg one, and the one where he sings an in autotune about being frustrated (culminating in an autotuned aaaarrrgggh, which is maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard) are two I'd love to hear again but I don't want to trawl through episodes looking for them.
Is that the "...coz my wifi is so slow" one? That's amazing.

As is the Streets parody one, but I can't remember the lyrics.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: __steve__ on March 16, 2021, 01:52:46 AM
Is that the "...coz my wifi is so slow" one? That's amazing.

Yeah, that's it. I couldn't find either of the two I mentioned on the app but went back to check and they're both in the Tony Law episode.

dr beat

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 09, 2021, 03:25:23 PM
That is an episode that needs to happen.

Yes! Potentially one of the most entertainingly indiscreet moments in the history of showbiz.

phantom_power

Are the song wars songs available anywhere? I used to have them all on mp3 but lost them at some point along the way

Blinder Data

Not listened to it yet, but Sir Kazuo Ishiguro?! I'm loving the incongruous guest choices these days. It would be a shame if it becomes just another podcast for publicity purposes though.

AllisonSays

I believe Kazuo Ishiguro has been giving it the big one about cancel culture lately so I sincerely hope they don't go down that particular alleyway.

popcorn

They just talk about robots and stuff, I enjoyed their chat. Never liked the guy's novels but I thought he sounded quite nice and interesting here.

idunnosomename

THE ADAM BUXTON
PODCAST
NUMBER 300
SIR BORIS JOHNSON
MARCH

Icehaven

I'm still playing catch-up and I'm up to pretty much exactly this time last year, just listened to the A&J Christmas 2019 one which ends with Adam saying he'll be back some time in April 2020, and I'm now halfway through the next one which was actually mid March 2020 with a doctor talking about the virus, the possibility of schools closing, and it hopefully all being over in a few weeks. It's a very odd, timewarp, 'before it happened' sort of sensation, Adam saying how he and 'his wyfe' were disagreeing about whether to take their kids out of school, as if they'd have a choice much longer. I know it's possible to listen to/watch anything similar from March last year and have the same strange you have no idea what's coming feeling but this is the first time I actually have, and I've been listening to all the previous episodes over the last few months so this is obviously the first mention of the virus. It's made me realise just how weird a lot of stuff from the first half of 2020 is going to seem now and forever, like those youtube compilations of American news channels on the morning of 9/11 just before the first plane hit, then as the news started to filter in.

phantom_power

I remember that one seeming quite out of date by the time it was released. Schools had already closed and we knew it was going to be a bigger thing

Pranet

I didn't listen to that one as at the time it felt like I was thinking about the virus every waking moment and I didn't need more of it entering my head.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: AllisonSays on March 17, 2021, 11:23:11 AM
I believe Kazuo Ishiguro has been giving it the big one about cancel culture lately so I sincerely hope they don't go down that particular alleyway.

It seems like increasingly every cunt over 60 has that opinion, so I just expect it at this point.

Mister Six

Quote from: non capisco on March 06, 2021, 09:25:10 PM
The second installment of the Points Of View 'Blah Boobidy Bayah' saga = on a bus from Brixton to Kennington

Walking out of my mate's flat in Beijing shortly after I moved to China. Adam & Joe were about the only bit of British culture I took with me when I left the UK. And Collings and Herrin, but I can't remember exactly where they fall in the timeline.

phantom_power

I enjoyed the Rose Matefeo one but watching a bit of her stand-up on iPlayer I will have to put her in the increasingly large category of "comedians who I like in interviews and when they are being themselves but find pretty unfunny doing their routines"

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Phil_A on March 08, 2021, 07:07:02 PM
Similarly the E4 series they did, Shock Video, seems to be entirely lost to history now. Even the one clip that used to be on youtube has vanished.

I have a hefty amount of this series on VHS somewhere...

Tuppence

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2021, 10:37:21 AM
I enjoyed the Rose Matefeo one but watching a bit of her stand-up on iPlayer I will have to put her in the increasingly large category of "comedians who I like in interviews and when they are being themselves but find pretty unfunny doing their routines"
I think she's far more gifted as a comic actor than as a standup. She's consistently terrific in the sketches from NZ television on YouTube, and her performance is the glue holding Baby Done together.

popcorn

Adam is on the latest Tape Notes podcast talking about how he makes jingles.

Not listened to it yet but I bet it's good - Tape Notes is an excellent show, like Song Exploder but not for cunts.

popcorn

I used to love Song Exploder but all the breathless American Netflixy gloss gradually wore me down, and the endless overprivileged musicians saying things like: "I had to ask myself: what's my truth?" Much prefer the more relaxed down-to-earth conversations of Tape Notes, really getting into the guts of the music, unromantic and practical.

popcorn

Having said that Ed O'Brien went on Tape Notes and said "What's my truth?" about 400 times.

Pranet

The Tape Notes thing was quite enjoyable. I had heard him saying he made On The Hourish parodies before but I didn't realise they were for a radio show he had.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 18, 2021, 10:42:42 AM
I have a hefty amount of this series on VHS somewhere...

Currently converting a 3 hour tape of Shock Video to digital...

"If I see one more nipple I think I'll be violently sick all over the voiceover booth....MAKE IT STOP PLEASE MAKE IT STOP...my life is being destroyed by this SHITTY programme"

"LADYBOLLOCKS AH....Meanwhile"

"My sexy feeling is going away and being replaced with fear."

"My Chris Tarrant impression is pretty good, don't you think?"
"No."

"YOUR FRIENDS DON'T KNOW SHIT FROM SHINOLA YOU LITTLE PRAT"

It's very odd to watch this with the awareness that this is 20 years old.