Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greg Davies Cleans Up

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 18, 2021, 04:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Not bad at all. Most enjoyable.

studpuppet

The toilet scene certainly gave away its German origins - they LOVE gags about caca.

Quote from: icehaven on August 30, 2021, 10:45:20 AM
Reading that cast list I thought "Bloody hell, Stephanie Cole is still alive? She must be at least 90" as I mainly remember her from Waiting For God. Turns out she was 48-53 when she was in that, playing someone who was supposed to be about 20 years older than she actually was. I can't remember now but was she made up to look older?

Tenko did for her. Only 40 when that started.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I could've done without
Spoiler alert
the wacky fantasy musical number
[close]
, but I thought that was quite promising. Greg Davies playing a disgruntled, oblivious buffoon will always be funny, he's absolutely nailed that persona, and I like the basic premise. It made me laugh a couple of times* and I was never bored or annoyed. Thumbs up!

Spoiler alert
Helena Bonham Carter will presumably return at some point? They seemed to be laying the groundwork for a sort of Luther/Alice relationship between those characters.
[close]

* I'm not a big laugher. I'm a small laugher.

I thought it was ok. The funniest bits were in the very first scene that was in the preview clip and I don't think it lived up to the promise.

There was enough in there to suggest it's worth sticking with though. Greg's a funny man. I have faith.

The scenes with the neighbour were odd. They didn't really add anything to the story or seem funny enough to justify their inclusion. Greg obviously just wanted to
Spoiler alert
boot a pie
[close]

Turns out all the episodes are up on the iPlayer.

Alberon

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 10, 2021, 10:56:54 PM
I could've done without
Spoiler alert
the wacky fantasy musical number
[close]
, but I thought that was quite promising.

That felt like a direct lift from a Car Share episode to me.

It wasn't bad, I did like the more surreal elements
Spoiler alert
such as the man boy
[close]
, but then I almost always do.

Worth a punt on another episode, though.

Shit Good Nose

Yes, I rather enjoyed that.  Preferred it over Cuckoo, although it's obviously not on the same scale as Man Up.

Very much enjoyed the obsessing over the cheap pub curry night and how into it he is, knowing what dishes will be on offer and the acceptable life of a fresh naan.  Very well observed.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 10, 2021, 10:56:54 PM
Spoiler alert
Helena Bonham Carter will presumably return at some point? They seemed to be laying the groundwork for a sort of Luther/Alice relationship between those characters.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I think we've seen the last of her and it's going to be more of a murder-scene-of-the-week thing where there are different characters every week
[close]

Didn't realise it was a BBC1 show so we didn't get proper Greg but it was still very enjoyable.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 11, 2021, 04:56:16 PM
Spoiler alert
I think we've seen the last of her and it's going to be more of a murder-scene-of-the-week thing where there are different characters every week
[close]

Spoiler alert
You're right, it's primarily a series of standalone stories, but the end of episode one seemed to suggest that HBC's story isn't quite over yet.
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 11, 2021, 05:00:22 PM
Spoiler alert
You're right, it's primarily a series of standalone stories, but the end of episode one seemed to suggest that HBC's story isn't quite over yet.
[close]
Spoiler alert

Yeah if they are all standalone then that was an odd choice for the first episode, given the ending
[close]

Didn't realise they were all on iplayer, that's the weekends viewing sorted.

phes

Quote from: olliebean on August 30, 2021, 09:50:13 AM
Der Tatortreiniger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Scene_Cleaner_(TV_series)

I started watching this several years back but got sidetracked. It was pretty good and would say it's well worth looking into

Steven88

I've watched the first 3 episodes and enjoyed it so far, episode two is pretty light on laughs though. Episode 3 was the best so far.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 10, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
there was another good bit but I've forgotten what it was now.

Remembered now, it was the bit about a man riding around the town on a dog.

BeardFaceMan

Bit of a mixed bag, this. Greg Davies is always good but the episodes live and die according to the guest star as these are essentially a series of two-handers. Some good, some ok, and the one with the influencer I very nearly had to turn off because it was so bad. I'm in no hurry for a rewatch but would definitely watch a 2nd series.

Mobius

I watched the first episode and don't think I liked it. Why did the neighbour want an apology letter, that was weird. Why are people allowed to just wander in and out of a crime scene and bring food in to get karate kicked all over the blood and guts.

Why was there a singing bit?

2/5. The bit where Greg Davies says his mate rides a dog around town got a chuckle.

paruses

I suppose they are allowed into the crime scene as it has been processed and released - he's cleaning it up not preserving or gathering anything. You would have thought there would be someone at the house though for HBC's character since she was on the run.

Seen first two eps so far. Hated the poo-ing bit but then I would.  Gita and Paul Chowdry made me laugh. David Mitchell not so much - he seemed a bit too much like a character from a Mitchell and Webb sketch.

Am enjoying it. Feels like a mix of Man Down ultra-lite and something you would find on Walter Presents which works well together for some reason. Am interested to see the rest.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There would have been a police presence in real life, all the fuzz wouldn't have just fucked off, saying " we'll just leave matey boy to clean all that blood up, then."; but if that happened in this show, none of the zany comedy could have happened. This kind of thing is how sit- com plots are allowed to develop, to be fair.

olliebean

Quote from: Mobius on September 13, 2021, 12:02:53 AM
Why was there a singing bit?

You never need a reason for a singing bit.

frajer

Caned the whole series over Saturday/Sunday and, while it was a mixed bag, overall I liked it a lot.

Favourite was Episode 4 (which had the feeling of
Spoiler alert
an Inside No. 9
[close]
) and I'd say the weakest was the vegan episode. Pleasantly bittersweet last episode too. I'd definitely like to see another series.

Tony Tony Tony

Binged on the whole series this weekend. Has a few flat spots but overall v enjoyable with quite a few laugh out loud moments... and lawd knows there haven't been many comedy shows doing that for me at least of late.

As noted above it can depend on the performance of the co star as these are all essentially two handers. As a result don't think Davies goes full Greg against the likes of David Mitchel as both essentially do the same schtick so Greg does seem to downplay it a bit in that one. Thought number three was the best as the actress he plays against (name escapes me at moment) is a perfect foil. number four was also top stuff with Stephanie Cole playing her old battleaxe role breezing through other peoples lives and feelings like a stately galleon.

Got a bit sentimental towards the end particularly the final episode but that seemed a nice counterpoint to the bleakness of the first one where
Spoiler alert
he chose his waster life over the chance to take Helena Bonham Carter up the Dolomites fnarr fnarr
[close]

Give us a second series you shit.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Mobius on September 13, 2021, 12:02:53 AM
Why did the neighbour want an apology letter, that was weird.

[...]

The bit where Greg Davies says his mate rides a dog around town got a chuckle.

Come on now!

SteveDave

It all felt a bit flat for me Clive.

Episode 1 and 4 were my favourites as the other character Greg was pitched against worked but the others were a little off. I did think he was going to "solve" the murder/death in each one too. Maybe I was expecting too much as I bloody loved "Man Down"

MojoJojo

Well I like it, you miserable sods.

BeardFaceMan

There were some nice surreal moments and flights of fancy but this is basically Man Down filtered through a BBC1 lense. Turned out as good as it could've, really. Love Greg and his comedy but he's not really a BBC1 guy, I think the show would have been better on another channel where he could get a bit weirder with it.

Tony Tony Tony

^whilst I'm not 100% certain, I suspect BBC pays better than say C4?

On top of that it also must have the broadest reach, maybe Greg is looking to hit McIntyre territory and fill arenas?

Norton Canes

Sorry, I bailed at Helena Bonham Carter

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 14, 2021, 01:29:42 PM
^whilst I'm not 100% certain, I suspect BBC pays better than say C4?

On top of that it also must have the broadest reach, maybe Greg is looking to hit McIntyre territory and fill arenas?

Oh for sure, you can't begrudge him for wanting more money or a bigger audience, I'm just saying that what we got with The Cleaner was about as good as it was going to get, all things considered. A tamer Man Down is still a lot better than most BBC1 sitcoms.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 14, 2021, 03:59:19 PM
Oh for sure, you can't begrudge him for wanting more money or a bigger audience, I'm just saying that what we got with The Cleaner was about as good as it was going to get, all things considered. A tamer Man Down is still a lot better than most BBC1 sitcoms.

I hear exactly what you are saying there.

Leads me to muse on what might be the holy grail as far as exposure goes for your regular comic. I sometimes hear comedians saying they are happy with the level they have reached and don't really want to step up to mega stardom because it restricts creativity and being able to walk down the street without being mobbed (or being robbed of your watch). I never seem to believe them.

Whilst there are some comics who know they will never achieve mass appeal, so don't strive for it, (Sadowitz anyone?) So do folks reckon that secretly yer regular stand up yearns for Saturday night prime time?

neveragain

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 14, 2021, 03:59:19 PM

I don't think this was ever meant to be as mad as Man Down. It's quite restrained and contemplative. Basically two-handers on different subjects, and I enjoyed that nature very much.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: neveragain on September 14, 2021, 08:53:45 PM
I don't think this was ever meant to be as mad as Man Down. It's quite restrained and contemplative. Basically two-handers on different subjects, and I enjoyed that nature very much.

That's what I mean, something like Man Down would never fly on BBC1, so this is the BBC1 version of Greg, which isn't his prime environment. So you do get something more restrained, that's the nature of the channel, but there's still enough of his personality left for it to be recognisable as his show, like him jumping in slo-mo over a wheelchair or Paul Chowdry in a school uniform passing without comment.