Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 14, 2021, 08:23:13 PM
Don't know if I'm laughing or crying now but you've got me listening to that clip again and I hope it's tipping me towards the former.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnMsO0A-O38

You and me both jive turkey!

Dusty Substance

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 14, 2021, 08:34:36 PM
You and me both jive turkey!

I was thinking about this bit just the other day. All it took was to see a mate I refer to as 'bro', went "Hey, bro" and this whole bit played out in my head. Insanely quick thinking from Norm.

lankyguy95

So many possibilities for the funniest bit he ever did but the stuff he did about Steve Irwin on the Daily Show the week after he died surely has to be up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8h-xeuC1L0

wrec

Gutted, if he didn't qualify as the greatest living comedian I'm stumped

Tokyo van Ramming

This is terrible, I feel sick. A true colossus.

Twit 2

If anyone reading this wants to know what the fuss is about, watch his stand up special "Me Doing Standup". The Janis/missing person routine and the heart attack/AA routine in particular are sublime.

And of course there's this:

https://youtu.be/DMcXkA-dWb4

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 14, 2021, 08:09:14 PM
he has looked like absolute shit for the last ten years - can't believe i didn't clock this earlier.

The online consensus always seemed to be that he was just addicted to xanax or whatever. Obviously this news puts his whole last decade in a completely different light. The volume and quality of work he managed to put out over that period (arguably his richest creative era of all?) while fighting cancer is nothing short of legendary.

Bronzy

Apparently he knew it was serious when his doctor said to him "open your mouth and say oink!"

Twit 2

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 14, 2021, 08:52:28 PM
The online consensus always seemed to be that he was just addicted to xanax or whatever. Obviously this news puts his whole last decade in a completely different light. The volume and quality of work he managed to put out over that period (arguably his richest creative era of all?) while fighting cancer is nothing short of legendary.

Aye. Sort of a "late style" flourish typical of great creative artists.

I wonder if he kept it completely private, or if he told a couple of people. If not, Dennis Miller will have to be fucking sedated, man.

Feel for his kid too. 61 no age to lose your pa.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Now that he is dead and been sufficiently remembered I think it would be for the best if we forgot about him now, thanks.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fucking hell. That's all I have to add at this time.

Fucking. Hell.

up_the_hampipe

Love this compilation of Norm making his guests laugh at things they shouldn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gqJNDTgMXk

The little "why did you laugh at that?" after his 9/11 remark to Andy Dick kills me.

Twit 2

I remember listening to this on headphones on a walk once and being conscious of walking along laughing out loud and getting looks:

https://youtu.be/PKwIKJb3n74

The ventriloquism stuff gets flagged for obvious reasons, but the airport bathroom stuff slays me, too.

Keebleman

Celeb deaths I have been absolutely gutted about:

1.  Stanley Kubrick
2.  Clive James
3.  Norm

Twit 2

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 14, 2021, 09:03:46 PM
The little "why did you laugh at that?" after his 9/11 remark to Andy Dick kills me.

I love Dick's reaction to this killer comment:

https://youtu.be/PScM_ZueYvo

up_the_hampipe

Only Norm Macdonald could get me to listen to post-90s Dennis Miller content, and that alone says a lot about how funny he was.

Someone on the Cum Town forum (don't judge me) uploaded two bootlegs from Norm's last tour if anyone's interested here and here. Haven't listened yet but the audio quality is good.

Dusty Substance

It was so sad finding out Norm MacDonald had died. It's only now I can look back and laugh.

YEAHYEAHROCK!

Scunnered by this, what a loss.

The greatest talk show guest of all time.

Deliciousbass

genuinely gutted. he's responsible for a lot of my favourite comedy things ever. loved his autobiography, not only the funniest book i've ever read but also really stuck with me as a meditation on life / death. fuck. that's one or two less punks getting jerked off under the queensboro bridge tonight.

mr. logic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 14, 2021, 08:58:51 PM
Now that he is dead and been sufficiently remembered I think it would be for the best if we forgot about him now, thanks.

I don't really understand what posts like this are trying to achieve.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 14, 2021, 08:40:17 PM
So many possibilities for the funniest bit he ever did but the stuff he did about Steve Irwin on the Daily Show the week after he died surely has to be up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8h-xeuC1L0

Norm's passing was tragic, at the time.

QDRPHNC

The outpouring of love on Twitter is really something.

Twit 2

Quote from: mr. logic on September 14, 2021, 09:19:49 PM
I don't really understand what posts like this are trying to achieve.

It's a joke. Like Norm was fond of.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One notable thing was his ability to extract laughs without telling a joke or even through setting up an anecdote or making an aside.

Something in the delivery, I feel. Upthread there's the Albert Fish clip and he manages to extract a laugh just by the flat, rather formal "African American", then enjoys playing around with that despite it cutting off mid-flow about the central topic. This is repeated in the "9/11" thing as well.

To me, perhaps I'm reading a little too much into it, but he seems to extract a kind of white guilt/taboo/tourrettes thing with the flat, deadpan delivery but- even better - because the person who is laughing knows it, and knows that even that conceit is in itself funny.

That's wonderful. A lot of 'sit around and chat shit' stuff turns me off and is very circle jerky but that is someone exquisitely talented.

Twit 2

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 14, 2021, 09:20:17 PM
The outpouring of love on Twitter is really something.

Any links for those who don't do Twitter? (Insert stabbing hookers joke)

trabuch

On the bright side. I'm having a lovely evening on Youtube.

mr. logic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 14, 2021, 09:22:38 PM
One notable thing was his ability to extract laughs without telling a joke or even through setting up an anecdote or making an aside.

Something in the delivery, I feel. Upthread there's the Albert Fish clip and he manages to extract a laugh just by the flat, rather formal "African American", then enjoys playing around with that despite it cutting off mid-flow about the central topic. This is repeated in the "9/11" thing as well.

To me, perhaps I'm reading a little too much into it, but he seems to extract a kind of white guilt/taboo/tourrettes thing with the flat, deadpan delivery but- even better - because the person who is laughing knows it, and knows that even that conceit is in itself funny.

That's wonderful. A lot of 'sit around and chat shit' stuff turns me off and is very circle jerky but that is someone exquisitely talented.

Well, either way, it was a national tragedy.

mr. logic

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 14, 2021, 09:28:01 PM
Any links for those who don't do Twitter? (Insert stabbing hookers joke)

I googled Norm Macdonald Twitter and there's lot you can just slide through on the homepage