Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-new generic Aussie comedy thread

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 04, 2021, 12:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I've been watching a few episodes of "Hard Quiz" on Youtube, and it's pretty good fun. Not something you'd maybe want to watch a lot of, but I like Tom Gleeson.

Also, Tony Martin and Ed Kavalee's "The Joy Of Sets", about how TV is made (sort of) is brilliant and it's a crying shame it only got one series. Also on Youtube.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 06, 2021, 12:36:49 AM
He got arrested for kicking off at a bus driver in L.A if memory serves correctly

He beat up a bus driver at the Melbourne Cup while pissed and basically fled the country. By all accounts - and there's been many - he wasn't a very nice guy.

Probably spending his time in LA hanging out with Matthew Newton

Tony Martin is a bit of a strange one career-wise, he has a rusted-on fan base for stuff that's not really his best work and whenever he tries something a bit different (which is almost always better) it never quite catches on. His radio show Get This was great but there's still a lot of dickheads repeating the catchphrases from it after fifteen years like they're stand-alone comedy genius and not just funny in context.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on November 06, 2021, 12:22:03 PM
His radio show Get This was great but there's still a lot of dickheads repeating the catchphrases from it after fifteen years like they're stand-alone comedy genius and not just funny in context.

Hi! Remember Me!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 06, 2021, 11:48:18 AM
Also, Tony Martin and Ed Kavalee's "The Joy Of Sets", about how TV is made (sort of) is brilliant and it's a crying shame it only got one series. Also on Youtube.

Went to the filming of one episode of that, we all did a few Get This quotes in the queue to get in, and Tony asked everyone to do their Get This lines first before the filming started to get them out of their system. Actually having Capper in the series though is a bit strange, I mean, talking about how TV is made has nothing to do with a coke-added dickhead that your dead former comedy partner did a good sketch about years before

Famous Mortimer

I liked Capper in it, because it felt like they were so pleased to get a show that they were packing it full of every daft thing they could think of, and it felt like he was game for pretty much anything. Although, I presume if I was more familiar with him I'd like him less, like this mention on Wikipedia:

QuoteHe appeared briefly on the reality television show Celebrity Big Brother, but he was ejected from the series by the show's producer for exposing his penis to fellow housemate Kimberley Cooper during an argument.

13 schoolyards

Capper is kind of like a politician (in comedy terms only) - there's a lot of stuff that's funny about him, but once he actually starts getting personally involved in the comedy then the comedy comes off second best

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on November 06, 2021, 10:23:52 PM
Hi! Remember Me!

I really really want to feel the same way Get This fans do about (say) "the thugs in the scallop industry" but it just feels like it's been hammered to death. It was a great show and it still holds up but after fifteen years of repetition the thrill has gone

NoOffenceLynn

Most have been mentioned already Kath and Kim being my favourite.

And l really liked Chris Lilley in his incarnations as school girls, the stuff after that was not really to my taste but those two shows and his take on being a school girl (I was one) are funny, insightful well observed comedy.

famethrowa

Lifelong Tony Martin fan here, having said that, everything from Martin Molloy on is fun but inessential. Ed Kavalee is such a comedy vacuum, appears to have no original ideas or persona of his own beyond clueless sidekick/panel guest.

13 schoolyards

Nobody's mentioned Shaun Micallef yet, so we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

To be fair, Mad as Hell only got the one season this year because the ABC wanted to bring back that painful Hypotheticals rip-off with Charlie Pickering and when covid lockdowns prevented that they gave Wil Anderson Question Everything instead of making something decent.

Famous Mortimer

I struggled with Mad As Hell recently, as it seems to be sinking further into both-sides-ism - happy to admit this is because of something Australian I don't fully understand, but it doesn't make viewing it any better. Also, I miss Roz Hammond.

(The Micallef Programme is one of the finest comedy shows ever and Micallef is a goddamn genius, though)

Icehaven

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on November 07, 2021, 03:17:23 PM
Nobody's mentioned Shaun Micallef yet, so we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

I did, two days ago!

Quote from: icehaven on November 05, 2021, 12:57:19 PM
Really enjoyed The Micallef Programme back when it was on the Paramount channel about 20 odd years ago. I've got a couple of Shaun Micallef's books too but haven't got round to reading them yet.

hey_botham

The guys from The Bazura Project have just released a new podcast about cinema and it is absolutely chockers with gags. Really dense, well-written stuff (especially if you're a film nerd)...
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-bazura-projects-radio-free-cinema/id1587712059

famethrowa

hey_botham

Quote from: famethrowa on November 08, 2021, 05:25:49 AM
Appreciating your username, what with the chat earlier this page

I guess I'm lucky that the username "thug_in_the_scallop_industry" was taken

13 schoolyards

Quote from: icehaven on November 07, 2021, 05:15:23 PM
I did, two days ago!

Then the only person who should be ashamed here is me! Again.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 07, 2021, 03:22:43 PM
I struggled with Mad As Hell recently, as it seems to be sinking further into both-sides-ism - happy to admit this is because of something Australian I don't fully understand, but it doesn't make viewing it any better. Also, I miss Roz Hammond.

(The Micallef Programme is one of the finest comedy shows ever and Micallef is a goddamn genius, though)

I think Micallef is in a tough spot politics-wise - Mad as Hell definitely goes a lot harder against the Liberals (Australia's right-wing party) than the painfully unwatchable on every level The Weekly (which is basically just a collection of pissweak "explainer" articles off the internet read out by a snob), but the Liberals are currently so amazingly shithouse there have been times it's felt like Micallef is desperately trying to find something to have a go at Labor about to try and maintain some kind of pretense of balance.

I suspect there's been a very good reason why Mad as Hell opened every episode this year with PM Scott Morrison saying "so long as they don't touch Mad as Hell I'm happy" - without that (presumably focus-grouped and totally bogus) seal of approval from the Liberal leader it's not hard to imagine ABC management demanding the show be a lot more "balanced" as far as political targets go

edwardfog

Australian comedy is maybe the best scene in the world right now, although I haven't seen many of their best exports on this thread

Sam Campbell is unbelievable, don't think I've ever seen anyone funnier. Totally agree with the poster above that he deserves his own show but at least we have Nippers, Get Real Dude and he's working on the new version of Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

There's a bunch of other great people working over there too though who are at a very similar standard: Aaron Chen, Becky Lucas, Aunty Donna, Tom Walker & Demi Lardner, Anne Edmonds & The Grub boys, Dan Rath, Alexei Toliopoulos & Cameron James and dozens more I'm probably forgetting. I think I discovered a lot of them through Toliopoulos & James' podcasts Total Reboot and Finding Drago plus the Cambo Fans channel on youtube and The Grub. Really exciting bunch of comedians

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: hey_botham on November 08, 2021, 04:40:26 AM
The guys from The Bazura Project have just released a new podcast about cinema and it is absolutely chockers with gags. Really dense, well-written stuff (especially if you're a film nerd)...
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-bazura-projects-radio-free-cinema/id1587712059
Ooh, excellent. I liked "The Bazura Project's Guide To Sinema" (and for some reason wasn't aware of their Channel 31 origins, so I've got more stuff to watch). I'll have a listen.

Talking of podcasts, I rather enjoy "Wax Quizzical" (quiz show with one contestant, but two other comedian guests, who play characters who help or hinder, depending on their nature) and "Somehow Related" (Dave O'Neil and Glenn Robins just have a nice funny chat and try to puzzle out why two things are related).

famethrowa

Speaking of Glenn Robbins, got to mention an old favourite, Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures. Love the shambolic, lowest-denominator gags (tents falling over, losing his pants, campfires going bad etc etc) and I'm a fan of cheaply made travel shows, so the original run is good fun. The reboot was probably unnecessary though.

evilcommiedictator

Is it just me or is every single facet of Sydney comedy dire? Seeing clips from SBS's The Feed and every Sydney person worship them as the second coming is utterly baffling, all mates of mates, and let's not think about how Paul Fenech is still getting work

13 schoolyards

A big problem with getting into Australian comedy is that so much of the publicity side of things is just mates talking up mates. Sydney seems worse than Melbourne for it, presumably because in Melbourne doing stand up is an end in itself (until you get good enough to head overseas) whereas in Sydney the media hustle that gets you a gig writing for some side project by The Chaser or whatever Dan Ilic is planning next is a lot stronger. There's a bunch of Sydney-based comedy writers who don't seem to have ever been attached to anything decent but are constantly talking each other up in the hope that one of them will get hired as head writer for some new "satirical" show and bring the rest on board.

When you have a paid TV critic for a major newspaper going on twitter to openly beg to be a guest on next year's local version of Would I Lie to You, something's gone seriously wrong

MrsWarboysLover

I loved the Wizards of Aus from a few years back, short 6 episode series, featuring some Aunty Donna cameos too. No idea what the critical or CAB consensus would be on it but I really really enjoyed it. it's all free on youtube too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv3DedNXN4o

Ron Superior

Just came on to say how much I love the Kates too. Get Krack!n is absolutely chock full of jokes. Highly recommend it.
https://youtu.be/1OlF0q_d6qg

Edited to add their very funny Kunts For Klicks segment:
https://twitter.com/getkrackinshow/status/1103580768800976896

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on November 09, 2021, 07:29:09 AM
I loved the Wizards of Aus from a few years back, short 6 episode series, featuring some Aunty Donna cameos too. No idea what the critical or CAB consensus would be on it but I really really enjoyed it. it's all free on youtube too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv3DedNXN4o

Thoroughly enjoyed it too.

Ron Superior

Quote from: edwardfog on November 08, 2021, 09:59:10 AM
Sam Campbell is unbelievable, don't think I've ever seen anyone funnier. Totally agree with the poster above that he deserves his own show but at least we have Nippers, Get Real Dude and he's working on the new version of Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

Thanks for this. I really liked Sam in Pls Like and found and enjoyed his The Trough live video on YouTube, but hadn't seen Get Real Dude. It was great! What's Nippers? I can't find it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on November 09, 2021, 01:00:20 PM
Thanks for this. I really liked Sam in Pls Like and found and enjoyed his The Trough live video on YouTube, but hadn't seen Get Real Dude. It was great! What's Nippers? I can't find it.

I'd not heard of it before reading this thread but am also a huge Sam Campbell fan, and found that the first three episodes are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNuaFLcbAeycQAIAW5s7T0Q - and hopefully the guy will upload the final episode soon.

neveragain

Quote from: famethrowa on November 08, 2021, 10:03:09 PM
Speaking of Glenn Robbins, got to mention an old favourite, Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures. Love the shambolic, lowest-denominator gags (tents falling over, losing his pants, campfires going bad etc etc) and I'm a fan of cheaply made travel shows, so the original run is good fun. The reboot was probably unnecessary though.

Yes, it's great fun and also looks just right. Some nice subtler production-based gags too.

neveragain

Also, I really miss Roz on Mad As Hell. One of the best comedy character actors about.

13 schoolyards

Hopefully she'll be back next year - I think that it was only that she was a regular on The Heights which was filming in Perth at the same time as Mad as Hell that kept her out.

Sonny_Jim

Yes very much enjoyed that Katering Show, thanks to whoever posted that link.  I did prefer season 1's production quality though, kinda doesn't work so well when the crew list is enormous and it's got ABC plastered all over the credits.

As a brit, I find that Chopper Harris imitator very amusing, also the Sooshi Mango guys but the latter make me feel racist, I think?