Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Three Bean Salad podcast

Started by her?, October 27, 2021, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

her?

Anyone listen to this? It's just Mike Wozniak, Benjamin Partridge and Henry Paker riffing on subjects selected by listeners but by Christ it's funny. I only knew Paker from the Beef & Dairy podcast but he's great at this. He does tend to take over the episodes a bit but that was more of a problem in the first series - it feels like it's become a bit more democratic now. If you have room in your life for another podcast featuring three middle class white men having a funny chat, then I highly recommend it.

Bernice

Yeah, I was resistant to this at first because who needs another, as you say, three middle aged white men having a chat. But it won me over - they're all very funny.

edwardfog

Yeah, incredibly funny, and Paker is a revelation. I'm actually missing him a little now that it's more democratic but it's still brilliant. Best new podcast of the year by miles

Led Souptin

Been listening to this after ploughing through all of beef and dairy in a couple of months. It's good fun, occasionally some really funny moments. Loved the suggestion that someone found out their house was on fire only by walking downstairs and opening the door to reveal some firemen.

Artie Fufkin

I listened to 'an' episode about 4 months ago and REALLY liked it. Not listened to another episode since. Make of that what you will.
*shrug*

Ben Partridge was in my year in school and we were in music together. A nice guy but the only bit of comedy I remember him doing was singing the lyrics from "I made a stupid mistake" from the popular Gareth Gates hit of the day and changing it to "(my name) was a stupid mistake" ...judging by the beef and dairy podcast he's done he's developed a bit since then

beanheadmcginty

Because I only know Mike Wozniak and all three have got essentially the same voice, I just picture three Wozzes chatting to each other. Really enjoyed it so far, thanks for the recommendation.

ASFTSN

Thanks for flagging this up, I listened to two of them at random (Condiments, Portraiture) and quite enjoyed it. It skirts a BIT too close to Radio 4 comfysmug for my tastes (I don't know anyone who unironically calls umbrellas 'brollies') but some funny rambling flights of fancy in there.

Enzo

The "America" jingle is a work of art tbf

ASFTSN

Quote from: her? on October 27, 2021, 01:12:13 PM
I only knew Paker from the Beef & Dairy podcast but he's great at this.

Isn't Ben Partridge the Beef and Dairy Network guy? Or does Henry Paker have a recurring role? Been a long while since I listened to it. Paker is funny as fuck in this...that story about the trapped bird when he went back to live with his parents in his 30s killed me.

paruses

Really enjoying this even though it's hard to tell who is talking. It's a bit like a Radio 4 version of Wolf and Owl (and one other) and I don't attach anything negative to that - it just has that good friends riffing feel to it and no agenda. Fortunately the friends are pretty funny.

MojoJojo

Hmmm, this is just about keeping my interest. I think it would really need a bit more form - maybe have one of them actually research the topic a bit instead of just going off on tangents.

It's got a thing I find weirdly annoying. On interview podcasts*, it's normal to have the host do an intro and an outro around the actual interview, to pad the episode out to the right length after the edit and cover podcast admin stuff that would be boring for the interviewee. Three Bean Salad does this even though the middle section is just them talking about the topic. Which they don't actually talk about anyway. So it's has three sections, but they're all exactly the same thing.

To be clear, I'm not looking for an informative discussion about Rome or whatever, just for them to stick to the topic enough that the topic actually matters.

*Buxton, Herring, Off menu all day this.

ASFTSN

Henry Paker has made me laugh loads this week after listening to these through, so I was quite surprised to look him up and see he has writing credits for a bunch of stuff I really don't like.[nb]Mock The Week, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Michael McIntyre, Top Gear[/nb]I know that's me being naive about how comedians make their living but even so.

boinks

I really like the tangential nature of it all, aside from it being a bit hard to follow if your attention wanders for a minute. Henry starting series 2 with a story about buying umbrellas in Tesco instead of introducing the show properly, much to Ben's bemusement. I don't have a problem with telling who's who either, they seem pretty distinct to me!

her?

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 02, 2021, 08:06:58 AM
Isn't Ben Partridge the Beef and Dairy Network guy? Or does Henry Paker have a recurring role? Been a long while since I listened to it.

Paker is the poet Michael Banyan. The one with a cow's face stitched on to his own face. Always a highlight when he's on. Think he's played a few other characters too over the years.

MojoJojo

That's the Beef Poet Laureat to you.

edwardfog

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 04, 2021, 12:50:57 PM
Henry Paker has made me laugh loads this week after listening to these through, so I was quite surprised to look him up and see he has writing credits for a bunch of stuff I really don't like.[nb]Mock The Week, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Michael McIntyre, Top Gear[/nb]I know that's me being naive about how comedians make their living but even so.

The standup clips I've seen look bad too. Increasingly I'm feeling like there's a strong divide between comedians who are better at written stuff like Edinburgh shows and the ones who are better at off-the-cuff stuff like podcasts, and there's not really a huge amount of overlap (or many people who are equally strong in both categories)

KennyMonster

Started listening to this for the first time on Monday when I went out for a run.

Recorded the worst running times in ages because this podcast had me giggling like a fool in public so much I couldn't run well.

Blinder Data

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it is very funny stuff. Reminds me of Adam and Joe in that it's just extremely middle-class Englishmen talking amusing nonsense.

It got me from the first episode. "You know, Henry, the sad fact is the men I work with don't even have a favourite wizard."

spaghetamine

Really been enjoying this, binged them all a couple of days and now I'm sad I have to wait until the next one to get my bean fix. I definitely get the Adam and Joe comparisons as this scratches a similar itch for me with all the childish glee at how silly they're being.

MrsWarboysLover

Very grateful to the C&Bbers who posted about this, because I discovered this podcast here and it's brilliant. Easily one of my favourite podcasts now.

Quote from: edwardfog on November 05, 2021, 03:49:44 PMThe standup clips I've seen look bad too. Increasingly I'm feeling like there's a strong divide between comedians who are better at written stuff like Edinburgh shows and the ones who are better at off-the-cuff stuff like podcasts, and there's not really a huge amount of overlap (or many people who are equally strong in both categories)

aah that's disappointing, he's been (bean?) my favourite of the three. He's incredibly funny on the show, to my mind the biggest/best comedy discovery I've come across for a while now

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Like all sensible people, I thoroughly enjoyed Mike Wozniak on Taskmaster, so I've just started giving this a listen.

I don't think they all sound the same, but Henry Paker does sound identical to Richard Herring.

samadriel

One of them sounds a lot like Daniel Kitson minus the stutter.

Great podcast, btw.

I imagine the theme tune is what plays as Wozniak is walking down the street.

edwardfog

Richard Herring? Daniel Kitson? I think you guys might have something in your ears.

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on February 05, 2022, 11:15:36 AMaah that's disappointing, he's been (bean?) my favourite of the three. He's incredibly funny on the show, to my mind the biggest/best comedy discovery I've come across for a while now

To be clear he's one of my favourite comedy discoveries too, I just think it's a surprisingly different discipline being funny off the cuff to crafting a great stage show. A lot of my favourite Edinburgh guys (e.g. Joseph Morpurgo, Hannah Gadsby, Kim Noble) I would not expect to make great podcast guests while others like Paker are ideally suited for chat format but their standup material is more prosaic observational stuff about going bald.

Sam Campbell as always is the exception to the rule.

Anyway I just came in here to say I love this podcast it's my favourite podcast

Ron Superior

New series is back with an absolute bang. Great to have them back.

beanheadmcginty

Loved the new provincial dad chat jingle.

Enzo

As a Corkonian, quite happy that the podcast is now owned by Luke from Cork.

paruses

Have had this on on the kitchen over the last week while cooking tea. Love the little gems in there especially when it really gets the other Beans. Henry describing American fridges as like opening the front doors to Chichester cathedral springs to mind. Or summing up disturbing sex act of octopus (a penis-lance stuck into the head and then death) with a wistful "so...be careful what you wish for".