Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Righteous Gemstones S02

Started by chveik, January 14, 2022, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

couldn't find a thread. first two eps are available. i still like it, i think it's good.

Quote from: chveik on January 14, 2022, 04:36:53 AMcouldn't find a thread. first two eps are available. i still like it, i think it's good.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I the family dynamic of S01, a bit like Succession in that respect.

QDRPHNC

Thank you! This had totally dropped off my radar, despite absolutely loving the first season.

selectivememory

Yeah, cheers for the heads up. Season 1 was great.

Mister Six

Heads up is appreciated! The first season was tremendous, although it wrapped up so satisfyingly I'm not sure where it could go next.

QDRPHNC

Anyone else keeping up with this? I'm up to episode 4, watching 5 tonight.

It's a remarkably well-made comedy. I don't know if they have a huge budget or a very talented crew or both, but it looks and sounds amazing, all the time. And I'm really enjoying this new season, but I can't help but feel it's fallen a little bit into the trap that season 2 of Eastbound and Down did as well:

Spoiler alert
Everything's dialed up - character traits, anger, grotesquerie and especially the plot. Which has gone from season 1's very tight and understandable "son betrays the father who hurt him" into... I'm not sure. It's episode 4 and I'm not sure what the main plot is yet. This was really glaring in episode 4, as I couldn't understand why we were spending all this time on BJ's baptism when it seems like the series hasn't really got into gear yet. Overall it's just feels looser and more directionless. Eli's manscaping incident, for example, felt very much like the writers coming up with something to retroactively justify the cliffhanger of the previous episode, whereas the events of season 1 seemed to flow much more organically from the characters.
[close]

It's still brilliantly funny. One of the eternal mysteries of CaB - to me anyway - is why E&B, VP and TRG don't get much more discussion on here, the three of them are without a doubt some of the finest TV comedies ever made.

BeardFaceMan

I think a lot of people dismiss McBride with the perception being that he plays the same character in everything. And while it's easy to make that mistake as his style makes his characters outwardly very similar, TRG, EB&D and VP are very different shows.

And yes, also agree, enjoying this season a lot and baffled by why these threads aren't longer.

jobotic

I really enjoyed the first half of the first series when it was on Prime then they decided I'd have to pay extra to see it. So that was that. Gonna start again as soon as I've finished with Mr Inbetween. I did enjoy it

peanutbutter

Generally am enjoying it, Eric Roberts is a solid choice to add into the mix of trash.

I'm beyond tired of the extended music sequences Jody Hill seems to fall back on a lot though; both the extended slow mo shots with some 2010 EDM playing and the performances within the congregations, they just don't seem to add much of anything and the former feels crazily dated at this stage.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 31, 2022, 02:26:48 PMIt's still brilliantly funny. One of the eternal mysteries of CaB - to me anyway - is why E&B, VP and TRG don't get much more discussion on here, the three of them are without a doubt some of the finest TV comedies ever made.

Agreed, big fan of DM & Walton Goggins. Good casting in RTG, John Goodman always delivers and Edi Patterson & Adam DeVine are a lot of fun.

chutnut

I've got the same problem with this that I had with Vice Principles, where I do really like it but just never actually want to watch it. Whenever I see a new episode's out, rather than being excited I just think 'oh i've got that to get through', even though I know I'll really enjoy it once I'm actually watching it

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 31, 2022, 02:48:48 PMAgreed, big fan of DM & Walton Goggins. Good casting in RTG, John Goodman always delivers and Edi Patterson & Adam DeVine are a lot of fun.

I was a big fan of Goggins from The Shield and Justified, only really knew him as a straight actor, I'd seen him do a few comedy bits here and there but he was a revelation in VP, he's so fucking funny.

QDRPHNC

I haven't caught up with episode 6 yet (this is my boy's favourite show, so I have to wait until we can get time to watch it together), but episode 5 (Interlude II) was absolutely brilliant.

After my thoughts on episode 4, which was a sprawling, messy, sensory assault (but a very entertaining one), I was a bit worried that they were jumping back to the past so quickly, when so much in the present felt like it needed to be focused on.

But it was great. If it didn't hit the heights of season one's Interlude, it's only because there was nothing to equal Misbehavin'.

(I know if you're reading this thread you've already seen it, but I also know that now it's been mentioned, you'll want to see it again.)

I recently rewatched the very first episode because my partner had never seen it, and I was struck by how, right off the bat, they didn't settle for lazy caricatures of southern redneck preachers. Within the first five minutes of the first ep, Pontious uses the (homophobic) f-word, and is immediately corrected by Jesse. Also we see that the Gemstones employ lots of women and black people, and Martin is Eli's closest friend. Even in the last episode of season 1,
Spoiler alert
Eli is angry at Billy for murdering the man who had robbed his family.
[close]

I guess I'm bringing that up because when this show was first announced I groaned a little - after the small-scale stories of E&B and VP, it sounded like this would be a pretty broad megachurch satire, where the Gemstones wore one face to their congregation but were really just obnoxious grifters behind the scenes. It must have been tempting to go that route, but they went the much more difficult route of humanizing all these people instead. I suppose Baby Billy fulfilled that role for a while, but even he revealed unexpected depths.

steveh

Quote from: chutnut on January 31, 2022, 03:50:04 PMI've got the same problem with this that I had with Vice Principles, where I do really like it but just never actually want to watch it.

Same really. I can appreciate how well made it is, but they are all such repugnant characters that until I get caught up in watching I don't really want to spend time with them again.

BeardFaceMan

Now that was some god-tier
Spoiler alert
vomiting
[close]
at the start of the latest episode.

Sebastian Cobb

Started watching S1 this week and am now into s2. It's great. Could at times do with a bit less time on the musical congregation stuff although Misbehavin' was great. Also the backing music choices are some really great bits of hard funk/rock/soul. Spotted this banger in the scene where they're counting money.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 15, 2022, 09:24:01 PMNow that was some god-tier
Spoiler alert
vomiting
[close]
at the start of the latest episode.

It's up there with the Family Guy and Stand By Me

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 17, 2022, 02:31:25 PMMisbehavin' was great.

It's been stuck in my head again since @QDRPHNC posted it - is it an original song?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 17, 2022, 02:49:54 PMIt's up there with the Family Guy and Stand By Me

It's been stuck in my head again since @QDRPHNC posted it - is it an original song?

Looks like it yeah!

QuoteThe duet was written by McBride, series composer Joseph Stephens and McBride's co-star/co-writer Edi Patterson. The song was an immediate hit thanks to its flawless mimicry of a certain strain of wholesome 1960s country music and absurdist lyrics like "Runnin' though the house with a pickle in my mouth."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/righteous-gemstones-backstory-viral-song-misbehavin-revealed-1301639/

chutnut

Yeah the Danny McBride/Jody Hill stuff has always got good tunes in
This banger was on during the credits of one of the early episodes

Sebastian Cobb

One thing I am curious about is have they used The Irishman style de-aging on Goodman for the flashback parts with his wife?

QDRPHNC

Definitely looked like it to me. More noticeable in the first season flashbacks than the second.

Sebastian Cobb

The
Spoiler alert
Baptism
[close]
episode is incredible.

steveh

I don't think I've ever seen anything worse than the clothes BJ is wearing in that episode.

Goldentony

Baby Billy's trailer going arse over tit and him legging it with everything a mess was one of the funniest things ive seen in ages. Smacking BJ's arse and calling him bad boy and then flipping everyone off. Perfect.

Quote from: steveh on February 18, 2022, 10:05:56 AMI don't think I've ever seen anything worse than the clothes BJ is wearing in that episode.

That was a brilliant outfit, you need to see it all for the full effect.

Sebastian Cobb

The fact they walked out to Dance Hall Days as well lol.

I wish there were some more scenes of Judy away from Jesse/Kelvin as it sometimes feels like she sort of falls back to shouting 'yeah' behind whoever's thrown the last insult when they're squabbling. The scenes where she's acting like a fucking psychopath around BJ's family were amazing.

Ant Farm Keyboard

By the way, BJ's sister (the one Judy suspects to want to have sex with her brother) is played by Tim Baltz' real-life partner.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Goldentony on February 18, 2022, 10:29:33 AMBaby Billy's trailer going arse over tit and him legging it with everything a mess was one of the funniest things ive seen in ages. Smacking BJ's arse and calling him bad boy and then flipping everyone off. Perfect.

I was in bits when I saw that. It also reminded me of Kenny Powers trying to pull off a classic chase 180 in an estate car and barely turning at all before barrelling into a boat at the side of the road.

QDRPHNC

Episode 8 - fuck me, absolutely brilliant. This show does so much so well, the tiny little moments of absurdity:

Spoiler alert
Keef slapping the bodybuilder's tit, BJ successfully stopping the bus before Judy breaks the window.
[close]

The big emotional moments:

Spoiler alert
Eli in the boxing ring with Junior, Baby Billy reuniting with Harmon.
[close]

Bits that are weird and funny, and shouldn't work as well they do:

Spoiler alert
Baby Billy lying on the floor with the broken nose, happy and smiling that his son has forgiven him.
[close]

And of course, that bit of casting.

Spoiler alert
I don't know about anyone else, but me and my boy having been waiting for an adult Harmon to show up since he first appeared in season 1. To see him done well for himself was lovely, to have him played by Macaulay Culkin made it even better. Felt like the moment in Eastbound and Down where we meet Kenny's mum and it's a foul-mouthed Lily Tomlin - completely unexpected but perfect at the same time.
[close]