Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Righteous Gemstones S02

Started by chveik, January 14, 2022, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah that was amazing.

Spoiler alert
and yeah the tit thing really tickled me as well
[close]

chutnut

Finally caught up with the most recent episodes last night, episode 7 was amazing.
I like how they totally subverted the family-member-seriously-ill-in-hospital type episode by throwing the soppiness out of the window instantly and making it possibly the most laugh out loud funny episode of the entire show, with 2 of the funniest bits within the first 5 mins

Sebastian Cobb

"Clever girl... recruited a nerd."

PowerButchi

Danny McBrides best work for me.
Spoiler alert
Also loved how the armed guards laughed at Jesse for suggesting jamming the cattle prod in the spokes and fucked off, and that's how Gideon caught the last biker.
[close]

Ita surpringly warm too, despite being dark

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I was thinking it's quite impressive how little it has to say about religion itself, even on the televangelist stuff it has managed to lay bare the amount of money passing and how much they're keeping for their lifestyles but still ultimately make these people quite human, it's incredibly well drawn.

BeardFaceMan

That's the strength of McBride's stuff, really, he has a way of getting you to care about awful people.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 24, 2022, 09:54:29 PMThat's the strength of McBride's stuff, really, he has a way of getting you to care about awful people.

So true, I was routing for Kelvin to lift the concrete cross and his relationship with Keefe is sweet.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 24, 2022, 10:13:22 PMSo true, I was routing for Kelvin to lift the concrete cross and his relationship with Keefe is sweet.

"You didn't have to get weird about it."
"Yes... I did have to."

Sebastian Cobb

"When I was a young boy like you two, I ate pizza every day. Sometimes even for breakfast. Sometimes... even for my deserts!"

QDRPHNC

That was dark.

Ok, going to start with a couple of small criticisms:

Spoiler alert
The finale didn't feel as strong as the first season's. Felt a bit rushed, in that we're only seeing how evil the Lissons are and their demise within the same episode. So it felt less cohesive in big ways, and in smaller ways too neat, such as the journo accidentally shooting himself.
[close]

Apart from that though, there were so many great moments in this one episode alone, I don't know where to begin. Think I need to watch it again.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Spoiler alert
I had said to someone else that I thought it was possible that the bikers were via the Lissons trying to get Eli out the picture. Although it was more whittling it down to "who else could it be?".

Baby Billy delivering a chemical-toilet blue baby though.
[close]

Goldentony

fucking hell, Walt Goggin's delivery of "HEY BOYS, HAVE YOU SEEN...TIFF?" is like something out of Star Trek, crying at that

Quote from: Goldentony on March 01, 2022, 11:07:37 PMcrying at that

and "Son of a gun, a toilet baby?"

Toilet baby was a callback to earlier in this season, right?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 02, 2022, 09:46:21 AMand "Son of a gun, a toilet baby?"

Toilet baby was a callback to earlier in this season, right?

Yes, in the baptism episode there's a scene where Baby Billy explains to BJ's family that Tiff was a toilet baby and what that was (it would seem Tiff's mother didn't know she was pregnant and gave birth unexpectedly).

QDRPHNC

Swear to god, I would watch a Keef spin-off show. Just going around being nice and making every interaction awkward, but not in a way that's terribly bad.

I loved the bit where Kelvin is getting a little too enthusiastic about his youth workout group (innocently, I believe, because he's a child himself), you can sort of see the wheels turning in Keef's head and he's like, "And maybe we should get some... permission slips and chaperones?"

One of the biggest laughs that has stayed with me since watching it was the Lissons trying to replicate the move they'd just seen in Young Guns (or was it Young Guns 2?) and failing miserably.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 02, 2022, 01:52:52 PMI loved the bit where Kelvin is getting a little too enthusiastic about his youth workout group (innocently, I believe, because he's a child himself), you can sort of see the wheels turning in Keef's head and he's like, "And maybe we should get some... permission slips and chaperones?"

I liked that bit as well but also the immediate 180 to "no adults" at Kelvin's dislike.

Also missed this little snippet in the montage at the end the first time:

PowerButchi

Spoiler alert
JOHN FUCKING AMOS
[close]

PowerButchi

Just finished the last episode. Season 2 is possibly one of the finest series of any comedy I've ever seen. Absolutely majestic.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 02, 2022, 05:17:31 PMI liked that bit as well but also the immediate 180 to "no adults" at Kelvin's dislike.

Also missed this little snippet in the montage at the end the first time:

Tim Baltz quickly became one of the funniest characters of the series for me, he's so good in this. I'm really looking forward to rewatching this series on a binge in one go, it's so good. And it's already been renewed for season 3 too, which is nice.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: PowerButchi on March 03, 2022, 02:12:43 AM
Spoiler alert
JOHN FUCKING AMOS
[close]

Just had a fuck my hat moment when I saw that Gregory Alan Williams (who plays Martin) was Reverend James Jr. in The Sopranos.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 03, 2022, 07:39:33 AMTim Baltz quickly became one of the funniest characters of the series for me, he's so good in this. I'm really looking forward to rewatching this series on a binge in one go, it's so good. And it's already been renewed for season 3 too, which is nice.

My favourite single scene of his is in season 1 where Judy comes to see him at work before her parking lot meltdown, the whole thing is brilliant.

From the reveal of his edgy earring, Thai food giving him "the shits", "slow your roll", referring to the small boy as "Mr. Walters", the pure poetry of Judy's "sample suck some clean dick" and her parting "BJ, I hope you live forever, I hope you discover magic and I hope you learn to fly like we always talked about." Glorious.

PowerButchi

Spoiler alert
Just realised after Barton Fink it's the second thing John Goodman has been in about wrestling
[close]

Mister Six

As much as I enjoyed this season, I have to agree with QDRPHNC that it seemed too loosely plotted, especially after the beautifully constructed first season. It started off strong enough, but lacking a central antagonist (Junior was obviously a misdirection, and the bike ninjas were just a cool image, not characters) or any compelling friction between the characters meant it just frayed off into loosely flapping threads from about the midpoint.

I think it also suffered from having all the characters already undergo changes in the first season, so all they could do here was reset a little bit and replay the same issues, but with less gusto. So Jesse's pride gets pricked, Judy treats BJ like crap and Kelvin gets tangled up in his own ego - but to a lesser degree and with less emotional fallout for each of them. The only character turn that surprised me and got me interested was Amber sounding a little bit Lady Macbeth once Eli took control of the church again, but that didn't go anywhere.

This seems a bit churlish, because I still had a hoot, the cast were all fantastic, including the new additions (how nice to see Eric Roberts acting again, instead of sleepwalking through some straight-to-video dreck), and I'm glad it's been renewed for a third season - but I do hope they have a solid story planned out, and aren't afraid to push the characters into new situations and let them undergo real changes.

SteveDave

How is M Emmett Walsh still alive?

I'm on episode 5 and have no idea where it's going.

SteveDave

We watched the last four episodes last night and I felt like it could've been longer. A bit like "The Curse", it seemed to rush to cram stuff into the last two episodes. I was almost in tears when
Spoiler alert
Harmon punched Baby Billy. I bloody love Macauley Culkin. He's got such a lived in face.
[close]

SteveDave

Also last night, I realised that Judy with that hair looks like Weird Al without the glasses and the tache.

ramsobot

I, for one, am not above enjoying a good blooper.

steveh

Found this interview with Danny McBride about the writing of the second season interesting. One bit:

QuoteI did a pretty drastic rewrite on the script during COVID. We were two days into shooting before COVID shut us down. All we shot in the first two days was a scene that never made it into the season because the plotline changed. It was Eli and Junior in Memphis, driving down Beale Street. We shot that, and then the next day, we shut down. We had been working on that script and finished the whole season, and it was totally fine. But then after, I was just sitting at home, and I opened the scripts up and started looking at it again. Certain things became more clear of what I wanted to do, and I pulled out whole entire plot lines and characters and everything, and rejiggered it all through COVID. Some of the ideas will be stuff that we'll end up probably putting into the third season.

It was just one of those things where we were given more time, so I took advantage of it and just got in there and tried to do what I could. But the rewrite wasn't trying to tackle themes or something because of what was happening in the world. It was more just my inability to put my pen down. I was going to use as much time as I had to try to make it as good as I could make it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/danny-mcbride-righteous-gemstones-season-2-interview.html

QDRPHNC

Good interview, thanks for posting that.

Ron Superior

Why the hell is this off Sky Comedy already? It only premiered in February which means it must have wrapped up last month and it's already been taken down? That's quite unusual for the Sky channels isn't it?

I was waiting for the wife to watch it with me but got tired of waiting so went to watch it today. Fuck's sake.

steveh

New HBO shows on Sky usually vanish after a couple of months and are then available to buy / rent on other streaming services before returning a few months later.