Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:22:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Tom Moore

Started by weekender, April 15, 2020, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Think it would have been funnier if the tweet blew up, got a hundred million likes and the woman had to pay £10,000,000 to the foundation.

Fambo Number Mive

So many poems were written about this man, including a lot of schools getting children to write poems about him.

Just one of the many thousands of poems about Captain Tom is here: https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/rip-sir-captain-tom-moore/

Quote...Making a difference, a gauntlet you threw,
medals you donned, with a goal to pursue.
Zimmer in hands, you gave us that hope,
such a terrifying time, all over the globe...

"Medals? Check. Zimmer? Check."

idunnosomename

From the same poetic genius

Dense smog, alleys, cobbled streets,
a predator lurks, havoc he wreaks.
Preys on whores, who are a plenty,
many believed, he belonged to the gentry.

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-ripper-2/

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2022, 12:24:03 PM...Making a difference, a gauntlet you threw,
such a terrifying time, all over the glope...

Fixed.

JamesTC

Making a difference, a gauntlet you threw,
Preys on whores, who are a plenty,
many believed, he belonged to the gentry.

Dense smog, alleys, cobbled streets,
a predator lurks, havoc he wreaks.
such a terrifying time, all over the globe.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Captain Tommy Moore
Zimmered up garden bastard
Harbinger of doom

Ohhhhhh, Tommy Moooooore
Tommy Moored for youuuuu

In the midnight hour, Captain Tom Moore.
In a Delhi jail, it's Captain Tom Moore.
Young boy devourer, Captain Tom Moore.
Army posting bail, for Cap-tain Tom Moore, Moore Moore Moore.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: JamesTC on March 01, 2022, 02:35:22 PMMaking a difference, a gauntlet you threw,

Santa Claus is comin' to town!

Kankurette

You did 100 laps of your garden, Tom Moore, Tom Moore
You'll never know, but you saved our lives, Tom Moore, Tom Moore

flotemysost

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2022, 12:24:03 PMJust one of the many thousands of poems about Captain Tom is here: https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/rip-sir-captain-tom-moore/

"Endowed", "Doing it in style", "infectious", "a willy of steel". Shockingly crass and disrespectful stuff here.

TommyTurnips

I can't link to anything right now because the paste function doesn't seem to work but there are lots of news articles about the daughter being a grifter. It's taken them all this time to realise what CAB figured out two years ago.

She was on This Morning, err this morning, trying to make out how hurtful it was she was being targeted by 'internet trolls'. Phil & Holly were still going with the official line that the good Captain cheered us all up in our hour of need by shuffling around his garden a bit.

It was on in the background at work, I only caught the gist of it - seemed like she was on a bit of a media tour to clear her name of these awful slurs (and keep the grift going).

Fambo Number Mive

While looking at the latest tweets about Captain Tom on Twitter, I can confirm at least one child dressed up as Captain Tom for World Book Day.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

And yet the cruel irony is that Tommo absolutely hated books. Used to get his nurse to wipe his shitty old arse with them.

Ferris

From the indie

QuoteCaptain Tom's daughter hits back over foundation claims: 'we're not hiding anything'
Hannah Ingram-Moore says she has been 'incredibly naïve' but that 'doesn't mean we're bad'

Chiara Giordano7 hours ago

Captain Sir Tom Moore's daughter has hit back over allegations of wrongdoing concerning her late father's NHS fundraising money, insisting "we're not hiding anything".

Hannah Ingram-Moore, interim chief executive of the charity named after the veteran soldier, said she had been "incredibly naïve", but that "doesn't mean we're bad".

The 51 year old said she had never shied away from being held accountable, telling ITV's This Morning: "Hold my feet to the flame. I am guarding my dad's legacy ... we'd never hurt it."

It comes after The Independent exclusively revealed the Charity Commission opened a regulatory compliance case into The Captain Tom Foundation last March following an apparent request from the foundation to appoint Ms Ingram-Moore as its CEO on a salary in the region of £150,000.

Ms Ingram-Moore has said the claim is "simply not true" and has left the charity "in peril".

She told This Morning hosts Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby on Thursday: "It's clear our accounts are there to be seen but we're not hiding anything, there's nothing wrong, we haven't made any false action and I genuinely think the vast majority of people know that.

"Those clickbait headlines have been destructive and have put the foundation at peril."

The daughter of Captain Sir Tom Moore has refuted allegations she stole money he raised for the NHS
(ITV/This Morning)
She added: "I think we have been incredibly naïve, but I don't think that means we're bad. I think we're wholesome good people and we run businesses, we understand.

"I think we stepped into this for love, for humanity, for allowing as many people as possible access to his legacy. We never thought of the darkness, never crossed our minds."

Ms Ingram-Moore became visibly upset as she spoke of the "devastating" impact trolls had had on her family.

"My 13 year old said to me 'Mum, why do people hate you after all that you've done'," she told the programme.

"How can you explain to a 13 year old, when she sees our lives have been immersed in ensuring his legacy lives on, that people can hate it.

"It's really difficult to articulate – and [her son] Benji, who's 18, to give him the words to manage people coming up to him and asking him.

"In the end, my father taught us resilience and positivity and humanity. He believed in the fundamental kindness of humanity and so do we."

Captain Sir Tom Moore pictured with his walking frame doing a lap of his garden in the village of Marston Moretaine on 16 April 2020
(Justin Tallis/AFP via Getty Images)
Explaining the figures reported by the media, Ms Ingram-Moore said her business had loaned the charity money in the first year because she didn't want to eat into the foundation's first £100,000 donation from a corporate donor, and that this loan then needed to be reimbursed.

"What happened, so very straight forward, when the charity had a bit more money we were reimbursed those costs and that landed as a headline. That was the £50,000," she told This Morning.

"That landed as a headline that I had essentially paid myself £50,000 back into my own businesses, which is absolutely not true."

Asked whether there was any truth in claims the charity requested to pay her £150,000 as chief executive, Ms Ingram-Moore said "absolutely none".

She added: "Keep in mind these accounts are a snapshot in time for the very first year of the charity and they're independently audited so we couldn't have made any of these numbers up.

"The £150,000 is absolutely not true. What the trustees did was ask for a benchmarking ... if we were to employ a CEO, the highest and the lowest.

"The highest happened to be £150,000, the lowest was about £60,000 depending on the charity. So the £150,000 is simply not true."

Hannah Ingram-Moore, daughter of Captain Sir Tom Moore, who raised £32.8 million for the NHS by walking laps of his garden during the coronavirus lockdown
(PA)
A fundraising event billed "Captain Tom Day" and planned for June has been postponed while the Charity Commission carries out its review.

"We couldn't possibly do it this year," said Ms Ingram-Moore, adding: "Whilst we know the Charity Commission are working with us and reviewing, they are not investigating. It is not an investigation."

Ferris

She trots out the "vile internet trolls" routine, last seen doing the rounds when the old boy died and people asked inconvenient questions about how wise it was to fly a ludicrously elderly man around, unvaccinated, during a pandemic, who later died of pneumonia and covid.

I also wish someone would push back on her defence of the accounts because from my reading of them, they don't make sense (and the other firm she runs published confirmatory accounts not full statements so no one can have a look for themselves).

Anyway, think she's fucked it now so that's the end of the grift I imagine.

Fambo Number Mive

What does Hannah I-M think she has been incredibility naive about?

Quote from: Ferris on March 03, 2022, 09:15:48 PMa ludicrously elderly man

Well, one hundred isn't ludicrously elderly, because lots of others have made it to that age, though a small minority in proportional terms.

Five hundred and twenty years, say, would be ludicrous.  Henry the Eighth doing laps of his garden would have been a far bigger draw.

Midas

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 03, 2022, 09:25:52 PMWhat does Hannah I-M think she has been incredibility naive about?

Quote"He believed in the fundamental kindness of humanity and so do we."

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 03, 2022, 09:25:52 PMWhat does Hannah I-M think she has been incredibility naive about?

The extent of the nation's gullibility and the transparency of her grift, I would think.

Ferris

Well exactly.

She can't say she was just a simple country hayseed taken for a ride by those big-city directors/trustees/CEO of the charity because those people were her, and she made a big hoo-ha about running a business when that was useful for having a pop at that awful mr crobbins. She's expressing regret, but about what?

This is the kind of thing I wish some journalist would ask her.

Ferris

I mean, even the Independent piece carries the line "The daughter of Captain Sir Tom Moore has refuted allegations she stole money he raised for the NHS", but nobody is saying she did that.

The concern is that the foundation that was incorporated after seems to have paid a lot of money to nebulous consultants and staff, a lot, quite a lot more than they gave out in grants, so what's going on there? And oh, looks like the key people potentially on the receiving end of the pay and expenses are the family of this person, that seems... unusual.

But by defending herself from an allegation that nobody has made (and without a journo who knows what's going on willing to ask questions), she gets away with it. Maddening but there you go.

DrGreggles

"It's clear our accounts are there to be seen but we're not hiding anything, there's nothing wrong"

She then refers to a loan she claims to have made into the charity, which didn't appear on the accounts, but the 'repayment' did.

Well I'm convinced. Nothing to see here.

Alberon

More from the Independent.

QuoteThe NHS charities group for which Captain Sir Tom Moore raised nearly £39m flagged concerns to watchdogs about improper data use by a foundation set up in his name, The Independent has learnt.

NHS Charities Together contacted the Charity Commission and Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) last year to highlight "potential improper use of data" from the JustGiving page set up for the former army officer's fundraising effort.

It is understood that the Captain Tom Foundation – which incorporated in May 2020 to give to causes "close to Captain Tom's heart" after the fundraiser ended – contacted people using email addresses they supplied while donating to NHS Charities Together via the Captain Tom JustGiving page.

idunnosomename

Tom, around your garden you traipse
Delete the post about your war rapes

Butchers Blind

Tom, around your grounds you did laps,
But in your pants, you did craps.

flotemysost

Quotethe Captain Tom Foundation – which incorporated in May 2020 to give to causes "close to Captain Tom's heart"

Captain Tom's heart stopped working less than a year after that. Alarm bells ringing already.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 05, 2022, 01:10:23 AMTom, around your grounds you did laps,
But in your pants, you did craps.

and faps

Edit: oh god, I'm just going down a Captain Tom rabbit hole now and this has probably been pointed out at some point in this thread already, but his other daughter has the below image on her professional website

as well as the line Quite simply "antidepressants mask the problem"!

Obviously it's (probably) not his fault she went down the homeopathy route but sheesh, the optics for a family apparently wanting to save the NHS aren't great.

Fambo Number Mive

Looking for Captain Tom news on Twitter, a tweet from a school popped up telling us about their Captain Tom themed celebrations for World Book Day 2022, including writing a fact file on Captain Tom.

They've attached a photo college of the children celebrating WBD, in one of them all the children in the front row are wearing Captain Tom masks. Most of the children have dressed up as Captain Tom or in military-style uniform.

Are Captain Tom masks something you can buy? Or maybe they printed them off the internet.

I know being a teacher is a very difficult job but really, could they not have done something more wholesome for WBD than that?

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 05, 2022, 01:10:23 AMBut in your pants, you did craps.

Captain Tom, in his undies, shakes his two dice.